So what's for dinner?

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making a second attempt at beef souvlaki tonight. My first attempt went well, but it may have been beginner's luck.
I've chopped a roast and have had the meat marinating in olive oil, lemon, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper since late yesterday.
It'll be cooked in a panini press.
I'm also field testing tofu based Tzatziki sauce tonight.
Will be served with a veggie to be named later and some homemade pita bread.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Yellow squash, boiled cabbage, and home made corn bread baked in an ancient cast-iron skillet. Generous portions. Delicious!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
side salad out of a bag and my "whatever" noodle casserole:

8 ounces wide egg noodles, boiled al dente
1 can diced tomatoes, whatever flavor suits you
8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese (or jack, or moz-asiago, or whatever floats your boat tonight. I use 2% cheddar.)

Stick in non-stick casserole/baking dish, stir up some. Cook at whatever moderate temp for whatever time. If you overcook it a little, the browned parts at the edges taste great. Just get the cheese melted; that's the important part. Serves 4-5. Reheats well.

Pretty much idiot-proof, low prep time, one of my oft-repeated dinners.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
At work, I accomplished a freakish amount of work in a short period of time that left the evening shift a ridiculously easy time of things on a Saturday night. So, I left work early and went out to dinner. I had a Chipotle Lime Chicken Salad that I couldn't get enough of, and, a mini Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding with Custard Sauce. (Which I believe is Latin for, "You've just been hugged!")

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Grilled wild-caught salmon, brushed with melted butter infused with minced fresh herbs (cilantro, chervil, dill, sorrel) from my garden.

Sliced crimini mushrooms (from the store) and fresh young bok choi (from my garden), sautéed in sesame oil and a little ground pepper.

A long grain and wild rice pilaf from a package, with added chopped criminis, a scallion, and some leaves of the wild chickweed (also from my garden).

caw

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds fabulous Blacbird. I made salmon on Friday night except my salmon was not freshly caught and I bbqd it with a teriake sauce. I served it with a side of steamed asparagus, a Greek/marinated artichoke quinoa salad (first time making quinoa - delish!) a Caesar salad and watermelon for desert.

I went to a friend's cottage last evening for an appetizer dinner. This friend is a world class cook, everything was wonderful but these stood out - a recipe from Lucy Waverman's column in the Globe and Mail this week (everything Lucy Waverman makes is out of this world) - "Seared scallop ceviche" aka scallops on sweet potato pancakes with a lime cilantro salsa. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/recipes/seared-scallop-ceviche/article650864/

Omg. To. Die. For.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Must have been international teriyaki Friday!

(but teriake/teriyaki - damn it! I knew it didn't look right when I spelled it...!)

Spanakopita -yummm, do you put fresh dill in yours?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Spanakopita -yummm, do you put fresh dill in yours?

No, I've actually never heard of dill being put in it! Huh. I use parsley, oregano, a little thyme, and a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon (I've heard varying opinions on how traditional cinnamon is, but I like it). And onion & garlic of course.

I do little roast potatoes with the same seasonings, salt and pepper, and some lemon juice added about fifteen minutes before they're done. :)

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
I have veggies to be used so I'm making a vegetable vindaloo for dinner and roasting the rest to make homemade vegetable stock to can.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
No, I've actually never heard of dill being put in it! Huh. I use parsley, oregano, a little thyme, and a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon (I've heard varying opinions on how traditional cinnamon is, but I like it). And onion & garlic of course.

I do little roast potatoes with the same seasonings, salt and pepper, and some lemon juice added about fifteen minutes before they're done. :)

The potatoes sound fab, I do something similar only with fresh rosemary, garlic, onions, lemon (juice and grated rind) olive oil and butter.

I've been making this recipe for years. I originally got it from a Greek cookbook, but it's also on allrecipes. The dill really makes it imo.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spanakopita-ii/

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight I'm having a bbq dinner party.

On the menu;

Libations - gin and tonics, "cottage coolers" (a citrus medley I mixed up with some grenadine to serve with gin or vodka) and wine.

Appetizer - brie, pepper jelly and crackers and others brought by guests

Main course - rib eye steaks

Sides -
- tossed salad with a homemade mustard vinaigrette
-grilled veggies (carrots, peppers, mushrooms, red onion, asparagus tossed in garlic, olive oil, lemon and rosemary)
- baked potatoes,
-bakery dinner rolls

Dessert - home made strawberry rhubarb (from my garden) pie with home made vanilla ice cream.

As I was doing all this today I realized that had I been the least bit organized I could have done a lot of this ahead of time instead of rushing around like a fool shopping, chopping, cooking, baking and icecream making. :(

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight I'm having a bbq dinner party.

On the menu;

Libations - gin and tonics, "cottage coolers" (a citrus medley I mixed up with some grenadine to serve with gin or vodka) and wine.

Appetizer - brie, pepper jelly and crackers and others brought by guests

Main course - rib eye steaks

Sides -
- tossed salad with a homemade mustard vinaigrette
-grilled veggies (carrots, peppers, mushrooms, red onion, asparagus tossed in garlic, olive oil, lemon and rosemary)
- baked potatoes,
-bakery dinner rolls

Dessert - home made strawberry rhubarb (from my garden) pie with home made vanilla ice cream.

As I was doing all this today I realized that had I been the least bit organized I could have done a lot of this ahead of time instead of rushing around like a fool shopping, chopping, cooking, baking and icecream making. :(

wow. sounds great!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cray, I was pleased - it turned out very well. We generally only entertain in the summer so last evening was the start of at least 5 or 6 more dinners. By the end of the summer I'll have refined my repertoire and techniques - which of course I'll forget over the winter.

This morning I'm eating left over cold grilled veggies that I tossed in some of the mustard vinaigrette - they taste fabulous this way so I may have to incorporate that into one of the dinners. It's make ahead at least.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing and researching all day and haven't eaten yet. I probably won't until dinner. That usually means it's breakfast for dinner. I'm thinking a ham steak with eggs over easy...

Hootie821

Choosing to live my passion...
Registered
Reaction score
It's the 4th of July...so I've got ribs on the grill along with baked potatoes, asparagus, baked beans, garlic bread, salad and watermelon! :Jump:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Oven Baked Coconut Chicken. Not bad. It's from a Cooking Light recipe. You marinate the chicken in a can of Light Coconut Milk with 1 T fresh lime juice and 1 T hot sauce (like Frank's).

After it's marinated for an hour and a half, prepare a cookie sheet with some parchment paper on top, heat the oven to 400.

Dredge the chicken in a mixture of panko (1/2 cup) and sweetened coconut (3/4 cup), a little salt, and fresh ground pepper.

Place in oven for half an hour, then flip and cook for another half hour OR UNTIL DONE. This last is in caps because it set off our smoke alarm even though it wasn't technically burning because the frizzy bits get a little darker and the smoke alarm didn't like that.

Anyway, yum and stuff.

maplesyruped

Believer of magic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having leftovers! Of soya protein in a tomato & herb flavouring with pasta, peas, beans and zucchini. Can't wait!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oven Baked Coconut Chicken...

OMG - I'm trying this ^ next week!

Tonight = (baked) Parmesan-crusted Tilapia with (baked) Sweet Potatoes and (packaged/steamers) Garlic Green Peas and Mushrooms to go with. ;)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Home-made veggie soup, using the last of several fresh and frozen veggies and a carton of stock. Too hot for soup, but I'm out of other food; tomorrow is shopping day.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Yum! Veggie soup sounds great :D

Today I threw together homemade shrimp fried rice with salmon steak. I seasoned the salmon with, dill paprika and red pepper, then pan-seared it in soy sauce and olive oil. The fried rice consisted of leftover carrots (we had roast last night) chopped green onion, vidalia onion, whole shrimp, and tidbits of pineapple (plus seasoning).

I'll post the recipe later if anyone is interested :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
hunan chicken (as I learned to make it eating in San Francisco years ago). Hunan pepper paste, soy sauce, a t. of sugar, cut up chicken and whatever veggies. Today it's squash, carrots, red bell peppers. A little rice. Healthy, spicy, and very good. If you're a vegetarian, hard tofu substitutes very nicely.

And I get to eat the leftover rice with egg every breakfast for a few days, which I also like.