General anime discussion thread

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
You will always be the Kaworu to my Shinji, Kuwi.

tumblr_ndl8kobBiP1tzzolgo1_500_zpse58375a1.jpg

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
My top three new shows this season are thus far... (in order)

Gugure Kokkuri san
Akatsuki no Yona
Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji

As Dawnstorm mentioned, really digging that use of chibi trope in Kokkuri-san. The... uh... pedo jokes are a bit weird though, and I really wanted to like that gender-bending character.

Yona is reminding me of Yushigi Yugi, but I haven't actually read/watched it. Might finally pick up the manga (wife literally has all of them about 10 feet from me). Loving how they're telling this story.

By the 3rd episode of Ookami Shoujo, I'm sold. Moved at a nice pace and not a completely typical shoujo. It's a little typical, but enjoyable enough.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Akatsuki no Yona reminds me of Fushigi Yuugi too, except that it looks like the protagonist actually grows up instead of remaining a childish idiot. (I hate Miaka, and I do mean hate.) Fushigi Yuugi crossed with Basara, maybe? (That's Basara as in the Yumi Tamura manga and the anime based on it, not Sengoku Basara.)

In other anime of the season, am I a bad person for finding the censorship in Terra Formars kind of funny? It makes the violence/gore level of the series seem almost pointless.

(Still trying to decide whether to drop World Trigger, which has generally subpar artwork, and/or Bahamut Genesis, whose character designs I dislike, and/or Trinity Seven, which I was getting on okay with until the urolagnia bit, which is so not my fetish.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Akatsuki no Yona doesn't remind me of Fushigi Yuugi, probably only because I've never seen it. Heh. They're doing a great job with Yona's shock, currently. Maybe they gave us a glimpse of her future self to keep people from raging at her.

In other anime of the season, am I a bad person for finding the censorship in Terra Formars kind of funny? It makes the violence/gore level of the series seem almost pointless.

They're not even trying. It's most slapdash censorship I've ever seen. Black circles over torn off heads? Really?

Luckily, the show is very, very hard to ruin. It's that bad.

I haven't picked up a few shows yet: Garo, Trinity Seven, Psycho Pass 2, Wixxos 2... I'm not sure which of those I'm actually going to pick up, much less which of them I'll actually watch.

Pretty much everyone dislikes World Trigger, but I find it pretty entertaining, in dilettante kind of way. The art is definitely subpar, though. Well, at least it's not completely 3D. I had to stop watching Karen Senki after only a few minutes. And I don't think I'll be able to watch Ronia...

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
I assume the Terra Formars manga looks an awful lot like the Gantz manga, with its loving close-ups of dismembered bodies. Except that Gantz at least had the mystery thing going for it. Terra Formars has none--it's pretty obvious from the get-go that the bugs are intelligent (I mean, the fact that they use and manufacture tools isn't enough of a clue? Those clubs didn't just fall off the back of a spaceship.) Still, I'll continue watching it, despite being embarassed that I find brainless gore more entertaining than most comedy.

Psycho Pass 2 is pretty much what it says on the can: dystopian mystery, with most of the characters who survived to the end of the first series returning. If you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one. Conversely, if you didn't like the first series, give this one a pass.

Garo makes me think of a superhero show transplanted into a thud-and-blunder fantasy world, actually. Entertaining enough for me, but your mileage may vary.

I don't think there's enough to World Trigger to be worth hating. It's just mediocre.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I been here on this forum for a while and it's only now that I'm discovering this thread...wow.

After not watching anything that modern (save for Sword Art Online) for a while now, can someone point me in the direction of any other modern sci-fi dramas?

Sorry if this is too random or broad of a question! My avid anime watching ended about two years ago and it's only being rekindled now >_<

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Still, I'll continue watching it, despite being embarassed that I find brainless gore more entertaining than most comedy.

I see no reason to be embarrassed about enjoying this show, though I get the feeling you're not enjoying it in the way the creators hoped you would.

Psycho Pass 2 is pretty much what it says on the can: dystopian mystery, with most of the characters who survived to the end of the first series returning. If you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one. Conversely, if you didn't like the first series, give this one a pass.

That's sort of the problem, here. I basically liked it, but I disliked the reveal and wasn't fond of the last arc. I found Makishima a rather lacklustre villain on his own (though people like him, apparantly). He was interesting as long as he had others to play off of.

I don't think there's enough to World Trigger to be worth hating. It's just mediocre.

I think most of the hating comes from disappointed manga fans.

After not watching anything that modern (save for Sword Art Online) for a while now, can someone point me in the direction of any other modern sci-fi dramas?

Maybe try Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku. During a war, space pirates got a letter of marque, a sort of pirating license for foreign vessels. During peace time, these licenses remain, but are not renewed. The story starts with a highschool girl finding out not only that her parents had both been famous space pirates, but that her father whom she has never known, has died and she's inherited the letter of marque. If she doesn't take up his position as captain, the license expires and the crew is out of work. What to do? It's a fun adventure show, with surprisingly well thought out setting. The last arc is anime original and a bit weaker than the rest. There's a film, too, but I haven't seen it. Apparently it features a robotic parrot?

Comedy, not drama, but it's so unique that anyone should just give it a look: Jinrui was Suitai Shimashita is a post apocalyptic show with fairies. While mankind is reduced to a few settlements, fairies are on the rise. They're shy and playful and utterly alien. Our heroine is the UN delegate for fairy relations, because she knows how to make sweets. The fairies re-inact human history, because they're curious, but they don't seem to understand fundamental concepts such as, oh, time and death. It's the most idyllic post apocalyptic show you've ever seen, but there's a sense of dark humour lurking in the background that never goes away. There's also some satiric potential that only really surfaces in some episodes, and not for too long. I think it's singularity SF, but they never explicitly admit it.

You might also check out the series of posts on SF Signal called http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/category/columns/lost-in-animeland/]Lost in Animeland, which gives you reviews of SF/F relevant anime shows per season.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score

Sorry if this is too random or broad of a question! My avid anime watching ended about two years ago and it's only being rekindled now >_<

Have ya seen the new Evangelion movies? I heard that Steins;Gate was pretty good.

I'm more of a urban fantasy type myself. So I really want to recommend Durarara and Madoka Magica. They're both kinda the best.

Alexys

Registered
Reaction score
I see no reason to be embarrassed about enjoying this show, though I get the feeling you're not enjoying it in the way the creators hoped you would.

What, you think they didn't intend people to mock it while picking apart the show's internal logic? Man, and I hadn't even gotten around to doing research on bulked-up insects and the square-cube ratio yet! ;)

That's sort of the problem, here. I basically liked it, but I disliked the reveal and wasn't fond of the last arc. I found Makishima a rather lacklustre villain on his own (though people like him, apparantly). He was interesting as long as he had others to play off of.

Currently, we seem to have an idealist weirdo manipulating other people from behind the scenes (as opposed to a dangerous psychotic doing the same). He's had about two lines so far, making it difficult to get much of a feel for his personality. And Our Heroine has been set up with a rookie cop who really hates Enforcers as a partner.

I'll second Mouretsu Pirates--a good adventure story. Steins;Gate (would-be mad scientist invents method of sending messages into the past, messiness ensues) and Shinsekai Yori/From the New World (about a girl growing up in an odd sort of pastoral future dystopia where everyone has psychic powers--the final reveal is chilling) both came out within the past two years.

Others that might or might not be worth checking out, depending on your preferences: Suisei no Gargantia, Robotics;Notes, Gatchaman Crowds. And Tsuritama, if you don't mind comedy.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
What, you think they didn't intend people to mock it while picking apart the show's internal logic? Man, and I hadn't even gotten around to doing research on bulked-up insects and the square-cube ratio yet! ;)

It's hard to believe they indended anything else, but, yes, that's my daring hypothesis.

And, yes, definitely Steins;Gate and Shin Sekai Yori. Both are great shows.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Have ya seen the new Evangelion movies? I heard that Steins;Gate was pretty good.

I'm more of a urban fantasy type myself. So I really want to recommend Durarara and Madoka Magica. They're both kinda the best.

I did see most of Durarara! Very awesome show and I really enjoyed the personalities and character design.

Alright, so Pirates and new Evangelion are on my watch list! I'll get back to ya'll ^^

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I been here on this forum for a while and it's only now that I'm discovering this thread...wow.

For modern scifi, aside from what others have suggested, there is Psycho Pass, Aldnoah.Zero, and Black Bullet. Going a little farther back, there's Ergo Proxy. Kill La Kill might count due to the second half of it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

I'm watching Ergo Proxy just now and can highly, highly recommend it. It reminds me a lot of Ghost In the Shell (another classic if you haven't seen it -- movies are a must-watch, the TV series Stand Alone Complex really didn't work for me but others seem to enjoy it). Oooh, also, this is stretching your definition of 'modern' but Akira's a brilliant sci-fi movie that's aged really well.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
So... Akatsuki no Yona is amazing. I am loving watching this character grow from a "weak" and useless princess to... well, a fucking boss. I don't want this show to end.

Gugure Kokkuri san still has some appeal, but its growing thin.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji just ended up straight up abusive and it makes me very uncomfortable. Like, the girl even admits to being a masochist but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow the utter apathy you see in the love interest.

Saw a bit of Parasyte, I read the manga forever ago, but it's all still fresh. Seeing it all modernized (iPads and smartphones instead of newspapers) is a bit weird.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken aka I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying is providing giggling fits, to say the least. :)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yona is definitely turning out to be a pleasant surprise. I'm usually skeptical of a shoujo adventure series, but it's been really good.

It's one of those shows that does nothing you haven't seen before, but does what it does exceedingly well. Definitely amongst my favourites this season.

Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso is a mixed bag for me - I like the execution most of the time, but it bothers me that the story seems to want you to ganbatte out a trauma. It feels like a more modest story "spiced up" with high-emo content beyond a point where things make sense. The usual comic violence is a bit more problematic than usual for me, as a result. And the "happy moments" are all suspect, too. But the music aspect is pretty well exectued (except that the show seems to set up a false dichotomy with respect to free improvisation and keeping to the score. Mixed bag. Thoroughly mixed bag.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So I've finished watching Monogatari up through season 2.

I didn't actually like the second season that much. First of all, it just skeeves me out too much in the first half (lampshading and making jokes out of what amounts to near-pedo behavior isn't enough to excuse it in my mind). The last half is much better, but unfortunately, it lacks the unifying element of the first season and just feels patchwork, even with the presence of Nadeko (by far the most interesting character of the second season--her ending just didn't sit right with me).
It doesn't help that by the end of Suruga Devil that Koyomi feels even more blah than before. He's practically a non-entity by this point he has so little personality.
I like that the series wants to give each character their due, but it just didn't work for me, the stories are too disparate.

So I guess I would really enjoy a series like Bakemonogatari if it lacked scary levels of loli and a stronger center.

I'm planning to watch Log Horizon and RWBY next.
ETA: Also trying to remember a series in which a girl with purple eyes causes boy to hallucinate (figuratively, I think).

Last edited:

Applicious

Registered
Reaction score
I started watching Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul a few days ago. They're both pretty good so far. Parasyte looks like the weird side of Youtube, so this should be exciting. As for Toyko Ghoul, I'm on episode 6, and I'm hoping the character development will improve. It's not bad, but I think they can be doing so much more than "villain of the week" and "everyone meet at Granny's." Needing to eat people to survive is a great premise, but I want to see them maximize the potential.

As for Terraformars, the censorship wasn't what bothered me. The plot was just moving sooooo slowwwly. Like, instead of fight scenes, we had standing around and looking at the enemy scenes. Then cut to bar scene. Then cut to standing around. Bleeehhh.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
In continuation of my streak of watching cute moe-type animes, the wife and I started watching Cardcaptor Sakura. It's really good.

I should know that, since I love CLAMP and all... but I'm really impressed by the pacing and lack of formula that follows every episode.

So I've finished watching Monogatari up through season 2.

I didn't actually like the second season that much. First of all, it just skeeves me out too much in the first half (lampshading and making jokes out of what amounts to near-pedo behavior isn't enough to excuse it in my mind). The last half is much better, but unfortunately, it lacks the unifying element of the first season and just feels patchwork, even with the presence of Nadeko (by far the most interesting character of the second season--her ending just didn't sit right with me).
It doesn't help that by the end of Suruga Devil that Koyomi feels even more blah than before. He's practically a non-entity by this point he has so little personality.
I like that the series wants to give each character their due, but it just didn't work for me, the stories are too disparate.

So I guess I would really enjoy a series like Bakemonogatari if it lacked scary levels of loli and a stronger center.

I'm planning to watch Log Horizon and RWBY next.
ETA: Also trying to remember a series in which a girl with purple eyes causes boy to hallucinate (figuratively, I think).

The second season is pretty bad. The third was pretty great though. I also just watched that 5 episode season thing... it was okay.

I've only seen the first episode of RWBY, it seemed really action-heavy with no plot. Lemme know if it gets better? :D

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
But the scenes with Hachikuji are the best!
Present Mayoi I can tolerate to an extent since she's actually over 20 and for a while I thought Arararagi was just joking with her . . . then it became obvious that if he is not a pedophile, then he is a lolicon that's only one step away. He has some kind of sexual attraction to immature females, including his sisters (which is strange because early on he said only people who don't have sisters would have a sister-complex).
It's like they realized he was almost completely empty as a character but the only thing they could some up with was to make him an incestual pedo to fill time. I would rather they cut all the creepy scenes and just extend the text screen time so I can read them.

I've only seen the first episode of RWBY, it seemed really action-heavy with no plot. Lemme know if it gets better? :D
The trailer or the episode? I'm not sure how you get the impression there's no plot from the first episode. I could see that from the first trailer though.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Present Mayoi I can tolerate to an extent since she's actually over 20 and for a while I thought Arararagi was just joking with her . . . then it became obvious that if he is not a pedophile, then he is a lolicon that's only one step away.

That was pretty evident from the Hachikuji's very first appearance.

You're either okay with it or you aren't, I guess. :Shrug:

He has some kind of sexual attraction to immature females, including his sisters (which is strange because early on he said only people who don't have sisters would have a sister-complex).

Episode 8 is sheer brilliance. Dat toothbrushing.

incest-araragi-small.jpg

Last edited: