RESURRECTION...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ABC mid-season show, Resurrection, had surprise ratings of 13.3 million viewers when it initially aired.

Anyone else watching?

I caught it (on demand) last night and totally enjoyed it - Will try to keep up with it - Plus, I'm a big fan of Omar Epps. ;)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The ABC mid-season show, Resurrection, had surprise ratings of 13.3 million viewers when it initially aired.

Anyone else watching?

I caught it (on demand) last night and totally enjoyed it - Will try to keep up with it - Plus, I'm a big fan of Omar Epps. ;)

I'll have to check it out, thanks :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I looked it up on Hulu, and have a couple of early / probably erroneous theories:

1. Maggie's line about the town being a border town in a border state is going end up being more than a toss away, and Arcadia is actually built on the line between life and death.

2. The sheriff killed Aunt Barbara / Maggie's mom. I'm betting he knew about the affair with the bald man, and either went to confront them at the river, or maybe even threatened to drown Maggie because he didn't think she was his daughter. He's too adamant about not digging into the events of that day, and Maggie said he seemed to blame her for her mother's death.

Jacob's first words in China were "Is he dead?" I'm betting the longer it goes, and the more Jacob remembers, he'll remember seeing Uncle Fred at the river, too.

It's obviously far too early in the series to know if any of that is in any way accurate, and I've not read the source novel to know how things played out there, but those were my first thoughts, anyway. I'll keep watching for now; I like the cast.

SkylarJade

Registered
Reaction score
I watched it and am cautiously optimistic. In a way, it reminds me of a show called 4400 a little bit. That show revolved around a bunch of missing people all appearing at once. Obviously, this show and that have many differences. However, so far the atmosphere is similar to me, and since I liked the 4400, I feel like I might like this one. It's certainly intrigued me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
RE: Jacob's first words...Weren't they "Is she dead?"

They could have been. S/he is easy to mishear.

(One tiny gripe with the show, though -- WHY ON EARTH was Jacob in that same shirt and jeans throughout the whole episode? I get why he woke up in them, but if a child pops up in the middle of nowhere - especially if the feds think said child was a victim of kidnapping / trafficking - his clothes are going to be taken as evidence. He certainly wouldn't be wearing them overnight in the hospital; he'd either have a gown or hospital PJ's, since he's a kid. Someone, at some point, should have given him new clothes, even if it was his mom bringing some of his old things down from the attic with his toys.)

I also totally agree with the comparison to Believe upthread. That one was awful, and there was no reason for it to be.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They're replaying the pilot right now. Not sure what to think yet, but my husband likes these kinds of shows, so we'll give it a go.

He has more tolerance of the "that doesn't make sense!" than I do, so he will probably stay with it, even if it's a little off.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about jumping the shark - I'll give another episode or two for that call - but it definitely set up some inconsistencies.

Jacob woke up wearing what he died in. Caleb was wearing the jacket he was buried in; that's the only way he could have had his daughter's note.

Faded Ego

Registered
Reaction score
After reading this thread I have mixed feelings. I certainly could watch it on my Hulu plus.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
My husband and I started watching both and couldn't finish watching either. I got distracted by a book and he started playing a game on his ipad. That is definitely not how we watch TV.

And we have very low standards when it comes to strange, weird and inexplicable stuff. We'll watch anything. We just didn't like either Believe or Resurrection.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The concept reminds me of the French series, The Returned.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I really loved it! I didn't watch last night's episode but recorded it after watching the first two online. I'm looking forward to more.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://cartermatt.com/118180/abcs-resurrection-spoilers-tease-larger-story-coming/

“There’s a huge reveal at the very last moment … We had laid the groundwork for that throughout the eight episodes, so there’s a really big reveal for one of the main characters. The game totally changes and it gets much bigger than these little individual stories.”

I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds very much like a lead-in for a 6th sense style "He's been dead the whole time," storyline. "He" meaning Omar Epps' immigration agent. I'd rather see them try and sell the whole town as the walking dead before going that route.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Hubby and I were hooked from the get go. Hubby noticed the promos for it on different channels (it's carried by a Canadian affiliate up here as well as the ABC) and we have been watching it since it first aired. We have a few theories on it, from an explosion that created a rift in time, to parallel universes and so many other things.

It IS based on a book called "The Returned" by Jason Mott, and I think there are a couple of series based on the book other than Resurrection. The science fiction channel up here in Canada is carrying a series by the same name now, so I may start watching that one too if it's not on opposite something else I watch. :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Meh.

It would have been a good mid-series "big reveal," but it was nothing to end it on. And if this show was actually planned as a mini-series, as the network claims, it's one of the most poorly executed ones I've ever seen. It needed another episode because none of the through lines were dealt with.

I get they're hoping to be given another 8-episdoe run, but that was terrible.

Dezibela

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to like this show, but I just couldn't. I thought it was dull. The characters were cardboard & it lacked style. Maybe my expectations were too high because I'd already seen The Returned on Netflix. Loved it.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
http://cartermatt.com/118180/abcs-resurrection-spoilers-tease-larger-story-coming/

I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds very much like a lead-in for a 6th sense style "He's been dead the whole time," storyline. "He" meaning Omar Epps' immigration agent. I'd rather see them try and sell the whole town as the walking dead before going that route.

I hope you're wrong too. I really liked this show, and the finale definitely left me wanting more. If it ends as you predict, I will be very disappointed!

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Agreed, they better have another season of it, that way we find out what the dickens is going on. And if it's a "Sixth Sense" kind of thing, I'm going to be very ticked off!! :rant:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
After seeing the finale, it's obvious that Martin Bellamy is supposed to be the Thompsons' son, Robert.

The Thompsons, going by their clothing and the discussion about the flood in which they all died, had to have drowned in the 50's, but Bellamy would have been born in the late 60's to early 70's - I'm not sure if they've ever stated his age. So he's the first "return."

He returned 15-20 years after his death, turned up who knows where, and as an infant or young toddler couldn't provide the information required to tell the people who found him who he was. To the authorities, he would have been simply an abandoned child, healthy but with no family. He was put into the system, given a new name, and never knew that he'd lived another life.

That would have made for a nice mid-season reveal, but it falls flat at the end of the show. If they wanted to make an impact with it, then they should have let the audience in on it earlier, and had him killed during the show, only to return like Rachel did.