• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Double Dragon Publishing, Inc.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
As usual, Old Hack is right:

Since when did "cost effective" for the publisher determine what an author should expect?

If the publishing house can't afford to promote the number of authors they are contracting, does that really speak well about their business practices?

Anent which:

I notice that JRT is not able to respond here at the moment: but this is a really important point.

If something isn't cost-effective for a publisher, then the authors that publisher has signed up should be glad that the publisher isn't indulging in it.

Advertising is usually one of those things. Most ads for books are placed in trade magazines only, to encourage bookshops to stock the books; they're not focussed on readers. You can see the problem here for DD, which is (as I understand it) an e-publisher.

Publishers should promote their books, or at least tell prospective authors up front that they don't do promotion. However, taking out ads is all cost and no benefit when you're promoting unknown books by unknown authors.

Publishing tends to have narrow profit margins, so what an author ought to be able to expect from their publisher is always a matter of what's cost-effective. For example, attractive, informative covers and well-written copy are much more effective at selling books than consumer advertising, so publishers invest in those features.

For the record, good editing and text production are also cost-effective investments. You may not be able to judge the quality of the work at the time you buy the book, but if you find you've bought a seriously substandard book, you'll never again buy a book by that author, and quite possibly won't buy another book from that publisher.

Deleted member 42

It reflects exceedingly poorly on any author who works as an acquiring editor for the publisher of her books to attack other publishers.

Especially when they deliberately revive a moribund thread in order to spread their venom.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
OK folks, lets get back on track, does anyone have any concerns about DDP or advice when submitting to them?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're closed to submissions at the moment.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I'm an editor for Quake, that has never been a secret and is something I'm very proud of. Had I not been banned for respectfully thanking someone, I would have clarified that immediately.

However, if my position as editor for *print* publisher somehow puts me in competition for *ebooks* published by DDP, it's not something that occurred to me when I posted my questions here. I am "well qualified" as Nick put it: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5424622&postcount=30 and have solid relationships with all my authors.

As far as it being bad form to question the practices of another publishing house, I'm sure you'll agree that this is SOP at Absolute Write. We all, editors, publishers, agents, and writers alike question the operations of all publishing houses. My thoughts on this thread are mundane compared to the assertions made on the Echelon thread by an editor from a rival publishing house.

As far as DDP goes, I would say the contract example is enough to pursue other electronic publishing outlets. Most epubs offer a far better royalty percentage. Now, if stating this is enough to get me lynched here, so be it. At least I was able to respond, finally, to these personal attacks.

Of course I thought this was about DDP, not spreading 'venom' against me. But what do I know.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm an editor for Quake, that has never been a secret and is something I'm very proud of. Had I not been banned for respectfully thanking someone, I would have clarified that immediately.

However, if my position as editor for *print* publisher somehow puts me in competition for *ebooks* published by DDP, it's not something that occurred to me when I posted my questions here. I am "well qualified" as Nick put it: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5424622&postcount=30 and have solid relationships with all my authors.

As far as it being bad form to question the practices of another publishing house, I'm sure you'll agree that this is SOP at Absolute Write. We all, editors, publishers, agents, and writers alike question the operations of all publishing houses. My thoughts on this thread are mundane compared to the assertions made on the Echelon thread by an editor from a rival publishing house.

As far as DDP goes, I would say the contract example is enough to pursue other electronic publishing outlets. Most epubs offer a far better royalty percentage. Now, if stating this is enough to get me lynched here, so be it. At least I was able to respond, finally, to these personal attacks.

Of course I thought this was about DDP, not spreading 'venom' against me. But what do I know.

Seriously? You've been unbanned for several weeks and finally return just to do this? It truly is time for you to get over this.

Here, let me help.

Davina M

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple of books with Double Dragon. This is a really nice publisher. There's no putting the bite on you for termination fees if you want out of your contract.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this publisher mentioned on Facebook by someone who signed with them recently. Is there any recent news on them good or bad?

Thanks

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
I just had an acceptance from Double Dragon. Submitted the entire formatted manuscript back in June. Took 70 days for response. Release scheduled for 2014. They've been in the game for over ten years so feel quite pleased and comfortable with them.

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm very new to all this and wondered if anyone had any recent contact with Double Dragon? I submitted to them earlier this week and just had an acceptance. They are not offering editing for 2015 releases and have said my manuscript doesn't need any further editing. Not sure if this is a good thing or not? Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If they're proposing to publish your book without editing it first, they are not going to do you any favours at all.

I wouldn't accept their offer.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm one of their authors and that's not a good thing. Three of my books had editors, the fourth was a reprint (so had had editing before) and still got a copyedit. I'm not sure why DDP would want to save money by not releasing the best books it can, assuming that's why they're doing it. My sales are down but I figure that's largely because none of my books are very recent (last one published 2012).

Maelan

Registered
Reaction score
I can recommend Double Dragon. They published my first novel. They used a contract editor (who sucked) but have discontinued that practice so it won't affect anyone now. The cover they did was very good and they considered my input when designing it. They do little to no promotion (welcome to the 21st century) but they do send out regular royalty statements. All in all, I've received fair treatment from Double Dragon and have no complaints.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can recommend Double Dragon. They published my first novel. They used a contract editor (who sucked) but have discontinued that practice so it won't affect anyone now. The cover they did was very good and they considered my input when designing it. They do little to no promotion (welcome to the 21st century) but they do send out regular royalty statements. All in all, I've received fair treatment from Double Dragon and have no complaints.

My bold.

I've worked with and for quite a few publishers now, from the big five or six to some single-person micropresses, and they've all done some marketing and promotion to sell their books. It's a myth that publishers don't market or promote the books they publish: the better ones do, and it shows in their sales. Don't accept this as the norm: it isn't.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
To be blunt: lazy or nefarious publishers don't promote their books or their authors. They don't know how, or they don't have the capital or the time, or they're already making enough money off author fees and other 'service packages'. Even very tiny legitimate presses do some forms of marketing.

The moment I read anything resembling your statement (about no promo being the rule) from a publisher or their representatives, I wonder about that publisher's competence and staying power.

Maelan, I'm glad you so far are happy with Double Dragon, and wish you the best. I've watched them for a couple of years - I wouldn't sub to them at the moment, but I hope they build back up to a stronger publisher.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was never paid a penny for my novella The Locket that appeared in their anthology Transsexual Anthology, despite being promised one fifth of royalties. It's out of contract now, but they're still selling it anyway. I would never use this publisher. I will be releasing The Locket with some other of my stories as a kindle ebook of my own, in the future.

t_sensei

Nextep
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tjmholden.com
Hi All, I'm wondering about the current status of DDP in the collective mind. I just received this (rather impersonal) reply to a submission (full) sent to them 10 days ago. Here's their reply:

Hello,
Thank you for your submission.

I would like to offer you a contract with Double Dragon Publishing for release within our 2018 schedule as an eBook and paperback. If you are interested, please let me know and I will forward a PDF contract via email attachment within the next 48 hours.

Thank you.

Flattering, of course (save for the "Hello (crickets)" part). And rather unusual (for me) to receive such a swift "yes"--my projects generally garner prompt "nos" or slow "okays".

DDP seems to have once been respected by the writing community (about 5 to 7 years ago)--ranging along a spectrum of "trustworthy" to "could be better, but not a scam"; since then, they seemed to have edged into a certain decline (depending on your view on editing and publishing services).

I'd like to work with a professional, reputable outlet . . . do any of you have a sense of whether DDP still is?

Thanks for your assistance.

Madame Medusa

Registered
Reaction score
I have books with DDP, but it's been years ago, and honestly, I've fallen out of direct contact with them. I used to think I had a pretty cordial working relationship with the publisher, who always struck me as being an honest, forthright kind of guy. I never worried I was being screwed by them or anything. But that's been years ago, like I said, and I had no idea they'd stopped offering editing for contracted books until I read this thread. That frankly shocks me, and to be honest, if I was offered that now, I'd walk away from it. The DDP I knew concentrated on putting out quality products and maintaining a good rep in the epublishing biz. You can't do either without editing. There's no way. I don't know if there's new management, or what might have caused such a paradigm shift, but it's definitely disappointing.

Rebnatan

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty similar to an email I received on Friday:
Hello,
Thank you for your submission.

I would like to offer you a contract with Double Dragon Publishing for release within our 2018 schedule as an eBook and paperback. If you are interested, please let me know and I will forward a PDF contract via email attachment within the next 48 hours.

Thank you.
I am asking essentially the same question as you: how will signing with them add value? Will it get my book more eyeballs?

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I published a fantasy novel through DDP about five years ago. I was assigned an editor, but they basically just told me, "I looked over it, good to go." I received one royalty check for forty-some bucks. Granted, I was not expecting a ton of sales; at the time, DDP was just one of several e-publishers I was working with and I had heard good things about them so I thought I would give them a try. But yeah, my impression is that they've gone downhill in recent years. Editing is minimal, and I get the impression they're accepting large numbers of submissions and making their profit through sheer volume, even though many individual authors are making almost nothing.

Just my own experiences, though. Maybe it's been different for other people.