• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Double Dragon Publishing, Inc.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
Advertising for a specific book which is aimed at readers has very low effectiveness. Historically, successful commercial print publishers' campaigns are aimed at book buyers and bookstores--within the trade. I have no idea what the ebook equivalent will be, but to judge a publisher's ability to sell books by whether they buy internet ads aimed at readers is probably not the best strategy.

DDP doesn't consider itself a "commercial print publisher."

Maybe I should have been more clear, but I never suggested that they should buy advertising to target other writers.

As to advertising the books they publish to readers being a bad strategy--I'm flummoxed.

What's a good strategy?

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe that DDP is meeting the standard of author support expected by legitimate publishing houses and I worry that there is a bit of nepotism going on here.

I have zero association with DD or any of their authors. So if you think there is nepotism you better explain how.

You asked if DD does an appropriate amount of marketing. I would say that, for an epublisher, yes they do.

If you want to dispute that I suggest you get into specifics of what good epublishers do that DD doesn't do rather than just suggesting that I and others with that POV have shady motives.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
DDP doesn't consider itself a "commercial print publisher."

Maybe I should have been more clear, but I never suggested that they should buy advertising to target other writers.

As to advertising the books they publish to readers being a bad strategy--I'm flummoxed.

What's a good strategy?
That's actually a very good question. I don't think anyone's figured that out, yet. So far the best thing has been to build a good reputation for putting out quality ebooks over time. Readers will often come back for more, and ebook readers in particular seem to have developed the habit of sticking with publishers they like and trust.

By the way, I didn't say they were a print publisher; I simply used that as historical background. And I never suggested advertising to writers. That makes no sense whatsoever.

And now, since as in the other thread where I've talked to you, you are deliberately misreading and misinterpreting everything anyone tries to say to you, I am putting you on ignore.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
I have zero association with DD or any of their authors. So if you think there is nepotism you better explain how.

You asked if DD does an appropriate amount of marketing. I would say that, for an epublisher, yes they do.

If you want to dispute that I suggest you get into specifics of what good epublishers do that DD doesn't do rather than just suggesting that I and others with that POV have shady motives.

Easy.

Read back through the comments on this list. Nearly everyone is either published with them, or knows someone who is. They've all commented about how wonderful DDP is and what a great place it is to be published through. I can hardly believe that considering the contentious nature of almost all the threads in Bewares and Background checks that there isn't little more than a complaint about "slow response" times when an editor had a death in the family.

Especially when you go to the site and randomly read excerpts from their front page and find terrible writing, typos, and the like. It's very hard for me to believe that the otherwise discerning members of Absolute Write have found the "brand" of publisher they think is the cream of the crop--unless it's out of loyalty to their long-time friendships, or their own publishing history.

So yeah, color me skeptical. If that rubs someone the wrong way--sorry, but it's a legitimate concern. And if you notice, I did originally ask what DDP does to promote their authors. It was only when people were confused by the question did I make specific suggestions about what I meant--but they weren't all inclusive, that's for sure.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A typical ebook might make a publisher maybe roughly $500-2000 in the first year. Thus the publisher are not going to be buying expensive advertising for it, as this is not cost effective and will likely not yeild a profit. Authors need to have realistic expectations. They should expect some basics (review copies sent out, good website etc), support and advice for their own efforts, good distribution and good whole-brand promotion.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
A typical ebook might make a publisher maybe roughly $500-2000 in the first year. Thus the publisher are not going to be buying expensive advertising for it, as this is not cost effective and will likely not yeild a profit. Authors need to have realistic expectations. They should expect some basics (review copies sent out, good website etc), support and advice for their own efforts, good distribution and good whole-brand promotion.

Since when did "cost effective" for the publisher determine what an author should expect?

If the publishing house can't afford to promote the number of authors they are contracting, does that really speak well about their business practices?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Since when did "cost effective" for the publisher determine what an author should expect?

If the publishing house can't afford to promote the number of authors they are contracting, does that really speak well about their business practices?

Since publishing was a business and authors were professionals.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
Read through the responses to your most recent question. Does not apply.

If you read these messages, you'll see where I'm coming from:

#4 has seven books published with them

#7 has a book published with them

#11 has "a number' of ebooks with them

#14 has a friend published with them

#17 has a partner published with them

#22 knows the editor there

#30 Knows the editor's personal life

#32 has a friend published with them

#38 is published with them

Since most of what's left outside of those comments are about epublishing in general or this exchange we're having right now, I hope you can see where the idea of nepotism informing the rather glowing reputation DDP has here is not far-fetched.

Especially, as I said, you read the poor quality of their recent releases touted on the front page of their website.

JRTurner

Banned
Reaction score
Since publishing was a business and authors were professionals.

Seriously?

I thought a publisher shouldn't contract books they can't successfully promote.

I think some authors are getting the short end of the stick here. If they really want to be published by a "trusted" brand--why shouldn't they go with a house that doesn't make a practice of offering contracts on books they never intend to promote?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com

#4 has seven books published with them

#7 has a book published with them

#11 has "a number' of ebooks with them

#14 has a friend published with them

#22 knows the editor there

#30 Knows the editor's personal life

#32 has a friend published with them

#38 is published with them

Since most of what's left outside of those comments are about epublishing in general or this exchange we're having right now, I hope you can see where the idea of nepotism informing the rather glowing reputation DDP has here is not far-fetched.

Especially, as I said, you read the poor quality of their recent releases touted on the front page of their website.

Your most recent question is #43.

I haven't read any of their books over about the past year, but the ones I bought from 2003-2008 were pretty good on the whole.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JRTurner, no given publisher is right for *every* author, as I'm sure you know. Each press is unique: Double Dragon is not Samhain, and Samhain is not Wild Child, and Wild Child is not Snowbooks, and Snowbooks is not Ravenous Romance, and Ravenous Romance is not Tor. Each press has its own way of marketing and promoting its titles.

Each author has to decide for themself what they want, what their dealbreakers are, and what their goals are. And each author has to do their own research.

If there are specific marketing activities a publisher must undertake before they are acceptable to you, and Double Dragon does not undertake those activities, then you have the answer to your question: No, they are not right for you.

As bunnyhugger said, it would be helpful if you were to state exactly what you expect a spec fic e-press to do. Buy an ad in Locus? Send books for review to Smart Bitches? Get its books onto Kindle? Nominate its books for EPIC awards? Pay Neil Gaiman to write a cover blurb?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Seriously?

I thought a publisher shouldn't contract books they can't successfully promote.

I think some authors are getting the short end of the stick here. If they really want to be published by a "trusted" brand--why shouldn't they go with a house that doesn't make a practice of offering contracts on books they never intend to promote?

I think that when you compare apples to apples, DD shows every sign of being a good apple. If you were looking for a mango... wrong publisher.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Here are their contract terms:

1. A full contract will be supplied to the author for review upon our acceptance of the work.
  2. Royalties: 30 % of the cover price less credit card processing fees for eBooks sold from our site, 30 % of the amount received from a reseller, and 8 % of the retail price for POD print books.
  3. Rights: we will acquire only the digital rights (exclusive electronic rights for eBook and audio use) for five years, with an automatic one year renewal unless either party provides a written request after the five year term, but before the anniversary of each one year renewal date. If the author takes the Print-On-Demand option, we will also acquire the paperback rights for five years.
  4. Royalty payments that total more than $25.00 will be paid semiannually in US dollars. Payments will be made approximately two months after the end of the period. The length of this delay will depend on the amount of time our retailers take to distribute payments to us.
  5. Our preferred method of payment is to deposit the royalty payment in an author-supplied PayPal Account.
  6. Authors who prefer not to use PayPal can request that they be mailed a check in USD funds. Such a check will be drawn on a Canadian bank, and mailed from Canada, so authors residing in the USA should realize that considerable time may elapse before such a check arrives, and then clears through a USA bank. DDP is not responsible for any service charges your bank or financial institution may charge for processing.
Royalties seem a little low to me. The terms seem OK. I'm sure the actual contract goes into more detail. The covers look nice. I've never heard of /read any of the books.

They don't report their sales to EREC do they Veinglory? I'd be interested.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Publishers almost never report their sales to EREC (three exceptions). Authors are welcome to now that I collect non-romance data, but so far have not.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. Number 17 had a partner who had some experience with them. You have extrapolated incorrectly.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

I notice that JRT is not able to respond here at the moment: but this is a really important point.

If something isn't cost-effective for a publisher, then the authors that publisher has signed up should be glad that the publisher isn't indulging in it.

Advertising is usually one of those things. Most ads for books are placed in trade magazines only, to encourage bookshops to stock the books; they're not focussed on readers. You can see the problem here for DD, which is (as I understand it) an e-publisher.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Ms Turner,

As the person you referred to as #32, let me clarify; I know several writers I've met online who have published with DDP, though I did not mention that in the post.

I really don't understand how you could suggest my submission experience as posted is biased. Hell, I even wrote a disclaimer on how I feel about this whole e-publishing thingy.

While you bring up some good points about DDP's home page and the problems you found, your tone more than likely hurt any points you are trying to make. This makes me wonder if there is some sort of anti-bias towards DDP from you? Perhaps its based on experience with DDP or some of its authors you have had a run in with in the past? Possible?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
JRTurner, #7 and #11 on your list are the same person.

When I look at a post from someone who says they're published with a press, work for them, or know someone published with them I consider their reputation on AW. If they're active participants with a good reputation then I tend to put more trust in what they have to say. Your mileage may vary.

The SF writer community is also rather close-knit. Many of us attend a fair number of conventions in our respective necks of the woods and we talk shop. (Yeah, usually in the bar. :))

So really, it's not unusual for a fairly sociable SF writer to know someone who has been published with a particular press, especially if the press has been around for as long as Double Dragon.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also a good idea to look at what a press is doing *now*. Problems that existed four years ago may well have been ironed out; authors who were deleriously happy four years ago may now be finding themselves screwed over. (My comments about my partner's experience with DDP were made in 2007.)

Editing to add: Noting that JRTurner is the acquiring editor for the competing spec fic e-press Quake, the YA imprint of Echelon.

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Just updating my experiences with DDP. My second fantasy book just came out with them and I'm still happy with the whole process. I've received some good feedback for both books, including a few positive Amazon reviews from people I don't know. :) I also like my second cover a lot.

Personally, it's firsthand experiences that I look for in AW threads when I'm deciding where to send my stuff. I don't have any hesitation recommending DDP to other writers if they think the publisher seems like a good fit for them.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
JRTurner:
Or are they more like an author mill--once they get you to sign the contract, you're on your own?

An author mill is a publisher whose model is based on signing up many authors and selling quantities of the books back to the same. Inasfar as the term is used on Writer Beware, author mills rely on their authors as their major source of income (either by selling books directly to the author for the author to then on-sell, or by selling to markets that have been identified and developed by the author themselves, e.g. booksignings organised by the author).

A publisher that expects authors to get heavily involved in marketing is not necessarily an author mill - much depends on whether and if the publisher is developing and making its own sales independent of the author's efforts.

There has been nothing on this thread to suggest that Double Dragon relies on selling ebooks back to its reader or relies on the author to sell their own books.

If you have information to the contrary, then once you're out of time out I'm sure we'd all appreciate reading it.

JRTurner:
Well, not book signings or radio interviews--but do they advertise on the internet? Do they buy spots for Kindle or Nook advertising at Amazon or Barnes&Noble? Do they support blog tours or other online events to get the word out about the books they're publishing? Do they give their authors anymore time of day than simply listing the book in their huge database?

If they don't, then doesn't that make them an author mill?

No it does not necessarily make them an author mill.

The information provided on Thread suggests that they are generating at least some sales for their authors beyond an individual author's own efforts because royalty figures as reported by one poster are in the low 3 figures. It seems that they have generated sales by focusing on building their platform in the specific SF&F epublishing market so that they have a trusted reputation. They seem to have targeted different sales venues beyond their own site and from the reports here they have worked at important things like manuscript selection, editing and cover art to produce a reliable product that people can rely on.

Those things are not commensurate with an author mill but again, if you have information to the contrary that you would like to share then I would be happy to see it.

JRTurner:
DDP is considered a "trusted" publisher because they buy a lot of ebook rights from a lot of authors they never promote individually and because they've been around a "long time."

How long is a long time? Like ten years or so?

Just trying to figure out the difference between an epublisher I should trust and one I shouldn't.

Where did you get the word "trusted" from? Has anyone on this thread or this forum suggested that Double Dragon is "trusted"? Reading through this thread, it seems that people have pointed at potential issues with the publisher over the last few years - the biggest seems to be delay in response time, which is regrettable but in no way indicative of an author mill (which seems to be the main point you're interested in).

Where has it been suggested that Double Dragon does not promote authors individually? Do you have a separate source for this?

Longevity is a sign that a company may be more reliable but it is in no way the only thing you should look for in a publisher. Publish America, for example, has been around for years and I don't think that anyone on AW would recommend them as a "trusted publisher" (to use your words).

As a general rule of thumb, people here on AW suggest waiting to see if a publisher is still in business 2 years after establishment on the grounds that most publishing ventures crash and burn within that initial set up period.

If the company has been going for 2 years, then posters here generally suggest that you ask for details on average sales per title, the type of promotion that the publisher actively engages in, what they do about print runs (e.g. if you're dealing with a POD press, whether they will do a short off-set run for signings and if so, whether there are terms on returnability, how much notice is required etc), where their books are available to buy, whether there are plans to look into stocking books in store etc etc.

It's also a good idea to look at who is behind the company and whether they have any experience of commercial publishing. Many start-ups reported here are done by people who have been unfortunately scammed by entities like PA and are consequently clueless about what publishers should and should not do. You also find that there are start-ups that began life as self-publishing ventures and then moved out to take on general submissions - in that case I'd want to see whether the company still intends to publish the owner's fiction (because you don't want a situation where marketing budgets go to them rather than to you).

Of course, the professionalism of the staff is also something to be looked into. If the editors, to take an example, are people who have been self-published or published through that publisher then I would be wary of their qualifications - especially if they never seem to have had an editing gig before (whether on a freelance or employed basis). Similarly, take a look at the cover art - if it looks like it's all stock clip art with many titles having similar covers, that suggests a lack of budget. If the artists cited on the site can't cite a professional background in doing cover art (whether freelance or on an employed basis) it suggests a company that's not too concerned about standards.

JRTurner:
I don't believe that DDP is meeting the standard of author support expected by legitimate publishing houses

What makes you believe that? Do you have information on the company and its business practices that has not previously been discussed? If so, please feel free to share.

JRTurner:
I worry that there is a bit of nepotism going on here.

Why? The number of people who have posted on this thread and are published by them is very small. People have raised concerns. The biggest 'name' poster here is Dave and he's posted his experiences without urging other people to go with them.

JRTurner:
If any other publishing house was stated as having only their own brand in mind and didn't support the individual author--they would be considered an "author farm" (not mill, I guess, because of the nature of ebooks.)

I think that you are firstly misinterpreting what an author mill/farm is (despite having it very clearly set out for you) and secondly making what seems to be an utterly baseless accusation against a rival publisher.

What information/evidence do you have that Double Dragon does not support authors?

JRTurner:
So I'm curious why I'm being urged to trust this publisher when, as it appears, that once the contract is signed and the book is released, that's all they'll have to do with me.

Where on this thread or on AW has it said that Double Dragon is a trusted publisher and authors should sign up with them?

Your "evidence" seems to only comprise this:

JRTurner: (UNDERLINE MINE)

#4 has seven books published with them Yes, Dave is published with them. He also says that they're slow because they're busy and swamped. He does not say to trust them. Nor does he say that they represent "the cream of the crop".

#7 has a book published with them Yes, Matthew has one book published with and said he had "no major complaints" and they were "fair to deal with". He does not say to trust them. Nor does he say that they represent "the cream of the crop".

#11 has "a number' of ebooks with them This is Dave again. See above for #4. Note though that here he points out that the author is expected to get involved in rewrites or approve edits. He also says that "much of the time the artwork is good" but goes on to point out some minor issues. He criticises their publishing schedule.

#14 has a friend published with them Triceretops only says that Dave (see #4 and #7) published with Double Dragon. Tricertops notes that they might be slow in responding but doesn't see any problem with them as an epublisher. S/he also suggests that authors check to see what existing Double Dragon writers have to say about their publishers on blogs or websites. Again, not a recommendation to trust them. Nor does s/he say that they represent "the cream of the crop".

#17 has a partner published with them Unimportant reiterates the fact that they are slow and recommends having a publication date set in the contract. Again, not a recommendation to trust them. Nor does s/he say that they represent "the cream of the crop".

#22 knows the editor there DeleyanLee mentioned knowing an editor but made absolutely no other statement about the company, their trustworthiness or that they were in any way "the cream of the crop". She mentioned her connection with the publisher purely because Google had tagged the website as an attack site.

#30 Knows the editor's personal life That's Dave again and far from representing that he knew the editor and their personal life, he said that it was his "understanding" that there'd been a death in the editor's family. Again - no statement as to trustworthiness or the company's suitability.

#32 has a friend published with them Thothguard does not mention any friend as having published with Double Dragon in this particular post. All s/he says is that they submitted and the editor suggested s/he get back in touch when Double Dragon reopens for submissions in 2011. There is no specific recommendation for the company and indeed, Thothguard seems wary about epublishing in general in that post.

#38 is published with them Saanan reports on royalty figures and says s/he's pleased with them so far and was happy with responses but not happy with the cover art. Again, no specific recommendation about the company or any urging that people sign with them.

JRTurner:
Read back through the comments on this list. Nearly everyone is either published with them, or knows someone who is.

I quote this only because on the basis of your own post, it seems you can only find 10 posts that you believe support Double Dragon (of which 3 are from the same poster, i.e. Dave, one makes no comment about Double Dragon at all and the rest all post things that may not be suitable. Not one post that you cite as supporting evidence for your position actually supports your position.

JRTurner:
They've all commented about how wonderful DDP is and what a great place it is to be published through.

See above.

JRTurner:
I can hardly believe that considering the contentious nature of almost all the threads in Bewares and Background checks that there isn't little more than a complaint about "slow response" times when an editor had a death in the family.

One of the main themes in the comments about Double Dragon prior to your posts was about the slow response time, with Unimportant suggesting that a set publication date be inserted into the contract.

Slow response times suck, but they're not something that most people on Bewares and Background Check get het up about. On the other hand, slow royalty payment are something that tend to draw criticism. I haven't seen any complaints about slow royalty payments on thread but again, if you have information to the contrary then please let us know.

JRTurner:
It's very hard for me to believe that the otherwise discerning members of Absolute Write have found the "brand" of publisher they think is the cream of the crop--unless it's out of loyalty to their long-time friendships, or their own publishing history.

It's very hard for me to see how you could possible believe that anyone on Absolute Write has identified Double Dragon as "the cream of the crop". It seems to me that this is a pure straw man argument to prove some other point.

For the record, I have no history with this publisher and I am on the record as not being a fan of royalty paying epublishers full stop. Any criticism I would make about Double Dragon's site would be no different to the criticisms/warning I would make about any epublisher.

JRTurner:

Since the publisher wants to remain in business because business is all about the bottom line - you're either making money, or you're not. Where a publisher crosses the line (at least as far as I'm concerned) is when they decide to meet that bottom line by selling to authors rather than to the general public.

I also note that once again, you are suggesting that Double Dragon cannot promote all of their authors. Where is your evidence for that?

What I will say that Double Dragon has done properly is that they are focusing on a specific market and on building their reputation in that market. That reduces advertising/promotional costs and means that efforts can be targeted.

JRTurner:

I think we've established that not only is your claim of "nepotism" far-fetched, it also suggests a lack of fundamental reading comprehension on your part.

JRTurner:

I've lost count of the number of times you've made this allegation without ever providing proof for your claim. It's almost like you don't have any.

MM

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To provide an update to my 2007 post: My partner experienced very slow response times from the editor and finally asked for the contract to be terminated. DDP was professional and understanding, noted that the editor had been ill but that this did not negate their obligations to meet deadlines, and agreed to terminate the contract. So the book was never published with DDP.

This was 5 or 6 years ago, however, so I've no idea if it would in any way accurately reflect their current practices.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we've established that not only is your claim of "nepotism" far-fetched, it also suggests a lack of fundamental reading comprehension on your part.
MM, I'd suggest that the claim of nepotism is, rather, a reflection of the mouth being close to the heart. Ms Turner is the acquiring editor for an Echelon imprint. Echelon is a small POD/epress publishing spec fic and is therefore a competitor of DDP. Ms Turner has defended Echelon while attacking DDP, without mentioning the conflict of interest inherent in her position with Echelon.

While I do not think that Echelon sent her here with this agenda, her actions reflect poorly on her employer.

Adding: Never mind, MM, I see you've noted that point already on the Echelon thread. Still, I'll leave the comment up for the possible edification of readers new to the thread.

Last edited: