• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

KT Literary, LLC (Kate Schafer)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting. Now I'm just off to go take out the first paragraph where I have my MC looking in a mirror :D .

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting. Now I'm just off to go take out the first paragraph where I have my MC looking in a mirror :D .

I have a scene where mine looks in a mirror as well. I know it's cliche, but I like it so it's staying for now.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I was one of those requested. It was cool to see what I was up against. Yes, researching a potential agent is always a good idea.

sgh1025

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queiried her in december and still no response. I'm guessing I can assume she's passed?

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to her yesterday and she got back to me within two hours with a request for a partial. *happy dance* I was surprised. Normally if I get a response that fast it's a rejection.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I queried her on the 15th, and she got back to me on the 23rd. One of the nicer query rejections.

Many thanks for your email regarding your novel THE GUARDIANS, which I am declining with my regrets

Given the demands of running a boutique agency and continuing to best represent my current clients, I must make difficult decisions every day regarding what new projects I can sign. I appreciate your thinking of me, and wish you the best of luck in your search for representation
Cheers,
Kate Schafer Testerman

It's a form, but at least she inserted my name and my books title into the email. It beats the heck out of "Dear Author" or nothing at all!

brgray19

Registered
Reaction score
Kate is fast--I also received the same polite form rejection yesterday. :)

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Query stats

For those interested in sending queries to KTLiterary, Ms. Testerman (aka Daphne) has some interesting query stats on her Feb. 27th blog entry (reachable through the website at www.ktliterary.com). I always appreciate seeing how the pile of queries gets dissected and reviewed . . .

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a very polite and personal rejection on my partial submitted. While I'm bummed that she didn't love it, I'm glad that she didn't just form reject me. I'll definitely submit to her again if this novel doesn't pan out.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to her yesterday and she got back to me within two hours with a request for a partial. *happy dance* I was surprised. Normally if I get a response that fast it's a rejection.

Congrats, redlady! :D

Oops! Just read your other post. I can commiserate. She rejected my partial back in Jan, right after I got a partial request from my dream agent. That took the stung out of the rejection. Unfortunately my dream agent is too busy right now to evaluate new clients. But at least my partial hasn't been rejected yet. ;) Did she give you any reasons?

Last edited:

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
;) Did she give you any reasons?

Yeah, she said that she didn't connect with my main character. I read back through it and totally see what she's talking about. So I'm going back for rewrites again in a little bit. I might try to resubmit after that to her but it kind of depends on how much gets changed.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she said that she didn't connect with my main character. I read back through it and totally see what she's talking about. So I'm going back for rewrites again in a little bit. I might try to resubmit after that to her but it kind of depends on how much gets changed.

I got pretty much the same. She wished my characterization had been stronger. Another agent had pointed out two consistant errors I had made. I have since fixed them, and think that might have helped strengthen my characterization.

Let me know what happens regarding you resubmitting. :D

rosepddle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karendenise72.blogspot.com
She requested a partial from me at the end of last month so I'm hoping she likes it enough to request a full. :D
I was so pumped to get a request from her. She seems like her personality would mesh well with mine based on the impression I get from her blog.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I queried her today, and I hope to hear from her soon. She does seem really fun from what I've seen on her blog, and her taste is similar to mine-I mean, so likes Joss Whedon! We'll get along. I just hope she like my book.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I have just sent a query as well. We'll see what happens...

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
She got back to me within a few hours but it's usually within a week or so for a query and within two months for a partial.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I think I sent it last week, so maybe I'll hear back soon. I hope. I haven't heard anything back from ANYONE since I started this querying process almost a month ago.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I think I sent it last week, so maybe I'll hear back soon. I hope. I haven't heard anything back from ANYONE since I started this querying process almost a month ago.

That's one thing you learn quickly in this industry. You have to be patient. Unfortunately that's sometimes easier said than done. Sometimes the requests come quickly (within hours). Sometimes it can take a month or more (as you read on the WH thread). The secret is to stop checking your inbox. Yeah right. As if. :D

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
OMG, I just got my first response, and it was from Kate Schafer Testerman! She wants a partial! I sent ten days ago, so that was pretty good time. I"m so excited........and terrified. I'm afraid my synopsis will be horrible. But still, this is a good omen! My first response is a request!

Plus, she's in my top three agents. Anyone who loves Joss Whedon is amazing to me!