Monitor or TV?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I presently have a 23" Monitor. I play games on my PC as well as the normal writing, browsing and e-mail stuff.

What's the difference (ignoring cost), if any, between my purchasing a new 32" Monitor, or a 32" TV and connecting to the latter via an HDMI cable?

Is the only difference that a Monitor can't receive direct TV signals via an aerial?

Probably a nutty question to a techie but I'm no computer whiz :e2cry:

Thank you.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff myself, but I'm using a TV as a monitor right now, also connected by HDMI. When I mentioned this to a worker in a tech store, he seemed impressed with the HDMI part. Like, "That will be a better connection than a normal computer-to-monitor hookup," sort of impressed.

For what it's worth...

(And now I'll wait for the actual tech-minded people to weigh in. :))

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
With an HDMI connection, you're not going to see a difference.

The older technologies like DVI and VGA encoded the video differently than what a TV did for a broadcast signal. As a result, computer display could turn out to be fuzzy, a bit out of focus.

HDMI is an interface common to both. I don't see that happening here.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I can use a TV exactly as a monitor?

My real point is I don't have to pay for an expensive monitor if I can get the same result from a cheaper TV - yes?

With an HDMI connection, you're not going to see a difference.

The older technologies like DVI and VGA encoded the video differently than what a TV did for a broadcast signal. As a result, computer display could turn out to be fuzzy, a bit out of focus.

HDMI is an interface common to both. I don't see that happening here.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
It does depend a bit on how you'll be using it. If you're sitting close, some monitors are geared more for that. And then we get to start talking about input lag and stuttering/frame problems on some TVs--especially if they don't have "game" mode.

If you're sitting less than 3 feet away, get a monitor. Though, going for 30+ inches tells me you'll be farther away.
If you buy a TV, buy it from somewhere that has a good return policy, like straight from Amazon or Walmart, so if you do notice any problems between it, your computer, and you input, you can return it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to do a little more research on screen resolutions and refresh rates.

Here in the US the most common resolutions now are 760p and 1080p, but there are others as well. And the refresh rates are generally either 60Hz or 120Hz. It's probably somewhat different where you live. I recently bought a new TV (to use as a TV) and my mind was numbed by all the options these days. It seems like every manufacturer has 400 models.

I haven't really priced them, but I suspect by the time you get a TV that functions really well as a monitor you will pay about as much as for a similar size monitor.

Deleted member 42

So I can use a TV exactly as a monitor?

My real point is I don't have to pay for an expensive monitor if I can get the same result from a cheaper TV - yes?

Bufty I'd check the specific TV, because It Depends.

There are minor differences in color accuracy, but there are differences in text quality on the screen.

Much like picking a laptop to use for heavy word processing, I'd suggest checking a page of 12 pt. text on the screen, and test that page using the Zoom feature as well as at 12 pt.

I've noticed a fair amount of variation in quality when using both Windows and Mac OS X.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Several others have mentioned choosing a monitor versus choosing a TV. I was under the impression that you already had the TV.

If you're in the process of choosing, others have provided excellent advice. I was trying to reassure you that the TV I thought you already had would be adequate to the task.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One suggestion that might help. Print out the spec sheet for a good quality monitor. Then when you shop for a TV compare the specs for it vs. the monitor. That might help you to not overlook some important feature. It does get confusing shopping for a TV these day, or it did for me.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not as simple as I may have thought. Many thanks to all who replied.

Sagacity

D. Lee C.
Registered
Reaction score
Your biggest decision will be between whether or not the details turn up on the TV and if its as high quality picture-wise. I however would suggest a TV over a monitor any day. However, you should definitely make sure you don't skimp out, because TV manufacturers can get away with more quality loss than monitor manufacturers. This is due to the content being displayed being so vastly different.