I have a plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
I self-published my first book without regard to any of the trivial and inconvenient little niceties like editing.

But for my current WIP I am trying a little harder and so I put the first three sentences on the appropriate thread and was told that I have a tendency to over-write, repeat myself, use too many words, say the same thing in different ways and sometimes even repeat myself. I don't know how they could have come to that conclusion or formed that sort of view of my work because it is totally alien to my nature and simply not in my character to write like that.

So I sat back and read some more of the threads on this forum and guess what - they're actually right. Which leaves me with a dilemma. I am about three quarters through my current WIP - six or seven chapters left to go. Do I go back and revise what I've already written or do I finish the story first?

What I've decided to do is finish the story first because the other route sounds like the slippery slope on the road to never finishing anything - ever. So my goals are:

Goal 1: Finish the story
Goal 2: Review and Revise (may need some help with this one)
Goal 3: Publish and be dammed

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Finish the story first, then revise. For me, pushing through to that ending can be HARD, but it also provides a burst of enthusiasm and momentum.

Many people advise writers to set aside a newly finished draft for a while so you can return to it with fresh eyes. It might help you gain some distance and a new perspective on your work. Just a thought.

Best of luck to you!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm a revise as I go type. Can't do it otherwise. But doesn't sound like you're like that. So just do it, then edit.

When you get to the editing, ask for a beta reader. There's a section of the forums for asking for them. Or you could ask any friends you make here whose opinions are in sync with yours.

Then publish, but hopefully minus the damnation. :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
For me, I tend to get stuck on perfecting and never get anywhere if I don't keep pushing through.

I'd finish, and then go back through and edit. You have to edit anyway, so better to get the story out while the flow is there. There's nothing wrong with going through and refining it more than once if you need to.

Oh, and I absolutely agree on the beta reader thing. Absolutely essential. It gets you out of your own head, and you see your book from another perspective. It's amazing what that will do for your book.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Good plan, especially the finishing that draft part. Best to have all the parts in front of you before you start revising!

Wentworth.Writes

Battling Procrastination daily.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the general consensus. Get your first draft done, then revise, revise, revise, then edit, edit and edit some more.

I would not say that 'publish and be damned' is a good idea. Bad editing of a book will hurt you as an author, and not just get negative reviews.

Best of luck though.

Status
Not open for further replies.