Good cutting boards ?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I need to replace a pull-out cutting board that's in our kitchen island. Right now it's hardwood, but it's really old and is full of slicing marks and is just hard to keep clean.

It may have to be custom made, to fit the space.

What surface do you recommend for cutting boards? Hardwood? Bamboo? Marble? Acrylic?

I was thinking of maybe getting a wood one covered by a Corian or similar countertop product. Not sure if I could find one, though.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently using a couple of different size polyethylene boards made by Stanton Trading. They have some advantages and some disadvantages.

If I decide to replace them I would probably get a wood board (possibly of teak rather than maple).

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer granite, for a bunch of reasons, but it's heavy - depends on the size and thickness of what you need.

What do you use it for? I mean if you just cut bread and the occasional vegetable or what have you, butcher block is nice. You can sand scratches out and oil it so it has a nice surface.

If you cut meats on it, I'd def. go for something nonporous and washable, like granite or a hard acrylic (Corian is porous as heck and will scratch - it can be buffed but I mean you don't want salmonella in the board)

If you use it for dough too see above granite for coldness and smoothness.

I wouldn't do marble because it's porous and stains. I've never used teak or bamboo, so I dunno about them really.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer wood/bamboo since, with the proper tlc, a good wood board can last decades. It's easier on your knives than stone, scratches can be sanded out, and a weekly rub down with mineral oil keeps it from drying out and splitting. It's also pretty key to never use it for raw meat (I keep an acrylic one for that) and to dry it immediately after washing so it doesn't get waterlogged.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a maple one I've used for over 20 years. And I use it for everything. I don't like the other surfaces for cutting. Marble is good for rolling dough, but since I don't bake that isn't an issue.

Cleanliness should not be a problem if you wash it well with soap and water after cutting meat or chicken. I've also heard of rubbing the surface with the cut side of a lemon.

MM