Travel Writing: Need Reading and Publication Recs

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all--

I am working on a travel essay about an uncanny small town in America, and I have some good photographs I took to go along with it. I have two questions for you:

1)Can you point me to some really good travel writing, especially on the topic of small town America? I have Bill Bryson's book, but would welcome any other suggestions.

2) Once this piece is finished, what are some markets I should try, either print or online? I would want the photographs published too, but they don't have to be in color.

Thank you.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
The Best American Travel Writing series might be a good place to start: http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/bestamerican/travel

As for markets, there are still a handful of newspapers with their own travel content (versus stuff that's canned from the wire services), but their articles are typically oriented towards "news you can use" - travel planning information. An essay might not necessarily fit. The New York Times' 36 Hours series is a great example (and compiled into books).

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

VIA, put out by AAA does travel essays. Not sure if they accept freelance, but it might be worth a look.

Both National Geographic and the Smithsonian do accept freelance. They might also be worth a look.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal