Irish Soda Bread

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone planning a traditional Irish meal on St. Patrick's Day, here's one recipe for Irish Soda Bread. I just saw this one last week. It's slightly different from what I've done before. I have not tried this one, but it's close to the one I have used.

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 tablespoons white sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup margarine, softened[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup buttermilk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup butter, melted[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup buttermilk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Directions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.[/FONT]

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My recipe doesn't use egg. It's from my friend's grandmother, whose family is Irish on both sides:

Irish Soda Bread

Oven 375
35-40 minutes

4 C flour
1 t salt
1 t soda
1 t powder
1 T sugar
1-2 T caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 C raisins (optional)
1-1/2 C buttermilk*

Mix dry ingredients. Add buttermilk to make a soft dough that is just firm enough to hold its shape. Use more flour or milk as needed. Knead a few minutes till dough is smooth and velvety. Form into a round loaf and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cut a large cross on top with a sharp, floured knife. Bake until loaf is nicely browned and the bottom sounds hollow when rapped. Cool before slicing.

* If you don't have buttermilk, sour any milk by putting 1 T vinegar in a cup measure and adding enough milk to make 1 C. Stir and let it set a few minutes.

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
both recipes sound yummy. never made it, so i'm tempted to try.

but... what makes a good Irish meal with Irish soda bread?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
both recipes sound yummy. never made it, so i'm tempted to try.

but... what makes a good Irish meal with Irish soda bread?

Soda bread (or farls) are used mostly with a fry, along with potato bread, sausages, bacon, egg etc.

They're also great for a filling sandwich.:D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting here reading this whilst enjoying a piece of toasted Irish soda bread. This stuff is wonderful.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If someone doesn't want to make the traditional soda bread, Jacques Pepin has a recipe for what he calls "bread flip" that would also work if someone was planning something of a rustic meal. It's very simple to make in a skillet.

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
If someone doesn't want to make the traditional soda bread, Jacques Pepin has a recipe for what he calls "bread flip" that would also work if someone was planning something of a rustic meal. It's very simple to make in a skillet.

i love to make bread flip from proper yeast dough in a skillet. it's our favorite bread of late, so i'll definitely try JP's bread flip. yum!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sounds perfect for a Sunday breakfast (drool).

It's also perfect for hangover days. Not that I'd know anything about them, of course. *Cough*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also perfect for hangover days. Not that I'd know anything about them, of course. *Cough*

There's also the hair of the dog that bit you. Maybe I suggest some of Haggis'.