Microsoft Outlook

Kristymarie_24

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all of my questions the last few days but I just can't help myself. I am going to buy Microsoft Office 2013 but i cant decide if i need outlook or not. I would love to have it to use my gmail account with it but it costs $50 more than if i just got the suite without it.

Do you use Microsoft Outlook for your freelance writing business? Do you like it and find it useful?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to use any of the other features of Outlook such as the calendar and contacts?

If you do use Outlook and Gmail you will need to set up both to work together.

Kristymarie_24

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I plan on using the calendar and contacts. I could really use them. I know I will have to integrate my gmail into my outlook. Since i just bought a new laptop with windows 8.1 i already have an outlook account, just not the program (If that makes sense)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might also consider Office 2010 Professional, which would also include Outlook and Publisher. You might be able to get it at a discounted price less than 2013 without Outlook. It's just an idea.

I still use 2010 (and Windows 7). I've heard some complains about Outlook 2013, but they might just be the typical gripes about new software.

Kristymarie_24

Registered
Reaction score
there is home and business which has word, excel, powerpoint, one note and outlook or home and student which has all of that but outlook. I dont need the professional one because i will never use acess and publisher.

I did find home and business on amazon for $54 cheaper ($174 instead of $219) so because of that I am going to just go for it and buy it. I will use the outlook. Thank you for your help

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I didn't even know you could buy the suite without Outlook.

For my writing, nonfiction or fiction, Outlook is even more valuable than Word, or any other part of Office. It's the professional tool of choice, and it makes all other such software look like bad joke.

I can literally run my entire writing business through Outlook, and pretty much do.

Kristymarie_24

Registered
Reaction score
Yes you can buy Microsoft home and student addition and it comes without outlook.

I bought the home and office edition so i now have outlook. I am so glad I bought it too. I linked my gmail account and also made a new one to use and emailed everyone new addy. I love the calendar too!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
If one-time cost is too high, consider Microsoft's Office365 service. For $10/month, or $99/year, you get online versions of MS Office, but you also get up to 5 downloads of the Office suite. That's the Home and Premium version. And, as Office updates to new versions, you get automatic upgrade to that.

Go here for more information.

FYI, there are free email clients out there. Some are quite good. Outlook is designed as a Microsoft Exchange client, so there's lots of stuff you never use if that's not applicable to you. Just a thought. I happen to love Outlook.

Last edited:

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
Microsoft Outlook has a long rich history of doing annoyingly nonstandard things with email. Email is supposed to obey certain standards. Microsoft has tended to have the attitude that whatever they do is, by definition, the standard.

• there's some kind of forwarding of email that results in the recipient receiving a file attachment that Outlook understands but other email programs (and nonWindows operating system environments in particular) have no clue about.

• there are reciprocal problems with Outlook users being unable to open file attachments (JPG and etc) send by non-Outlook users; I don't recall the details but they get unrecognized files with strange extensions instead of the original file w/ original extension, usually some garbled 'mim' file

• strange approaches to encrypted connections, passwords, relationships of login accounts to email accountnames, designations of SMTP servers, etc — this really has more to do with MS Exchange Server than MS Outlook I suppose, but it's a way of practically forcing folks to use Outlook if their company is using Exchange Server. PITA to use some other email app to use with Exchange Server.

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with James on this. I've used Outlook since the 90s. I have my own domain and pay a hoster around $40 every 2 years to host my email. I then use my Outlook. If you are using gmail, make sure your home router allows port 995. Many of the older routers have that port block by default.

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
You might also consider Office 2010 Professional, which would also include Outlook and Publisher. You might be able to get it at a discounted price less than 2013 without Outlook. It's just an idea.

I still use 2010 (and Windows 7). I've heard some complains about Outlook 2013, but they might just be the typical gripes about new software.

I use 2013. I haven't experienced any issues.