Blogs

DC2244

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a blog. My idea for writing a book is shelved for the moment, but I may start a blog just to get some writing experience and possibly to impress potential employers. My writing style is probably 'workman like' - I think I can put a sentence together and explain things fairly well, but maybe need to make it more entertaining and engaging. I don't have high ambitions, I just want to dip my toes in the water and see if I get more than 2 people reading it! My subject is natural science/evolution and possibly other sciences too.

So…

Any recommendations of blogs to look at. Or maybe some could link to their own blog.

Any recommendations for a platform. I don't want to pay anything, but will adverts on free ones be distracting or any other disadvantages? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Any tips on how to make a good blog.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to AW.

There is an entire forum here devoted to blogging: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90 Most of your questions have probably been answered and discussed there. There are also numerous links to various blogs here and there in that forum, so, enjoy!

:D

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
DC, when I first started writing a book, a friend (with more knowledge of publishing) said you need a platform. So I started blogging. I loved the instant gratification of it and for awhile (about five years, LOL) my book gathered virtual dust.

But I am so glad I took that time. I do think that blogging and the instant feedback helped improve my writing. I did eventually finish the book that started it all (it's the one in my signature). And I am doing the final prep on my second book.

So yes, I recommend blogging if you find you enjoy it. Don't do it if it isn't fun though. My blog is in my sig line. Another blog I enjoy is The Weed. I love his authenticity.

DC2244

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Literateparakeet, good to hear.

I have started with a free site on Wordpress. Looks like I can't change the design, even the font style or size, without paying something, unless anyone knows otherwise. I'm not bothered for the moment, I just want to see how it goes and get some words out there.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There is quite a lot you can do with free templates on Wordpress. Just search for the free options.

I agree. I used a free template for years and it worked just fine. I only recently upgraded using HostGator. I think free is the best way to try your wings, see if you like it, if you get a following, etc.

Good luck.

DC2244

Registered
Reaction score
I've chosen the free template Twenty Eleven. I can preview different fonts but to save them it needs an upgrade even for that.
I did manage to change the colour of the title to blue, but it's reverted to black somehow and I can't find how I got blue in the first place!
Anyway I'm up and running…!

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've chosen the free template Twenty Eleven. I can preview different fonts but to save them it needs an upgrade even for that.
I did manage to change the colour of the title to blue, but it's reverted to black somehow and I can't find how I got blue in the first place!
Anyway I'm up and running…!

Yes, thats true, but my advice is stick with template the way it is for now--your main concern needs to be writing content that makes people want to visit. And with so many blogs out there, rising out of obscurity can be trickier than you think! :)

Williamschmit

Registered
Reaction score
WordPress, blogspot, technocrati these are some of the blog sites through which you may get the best designated traffic to your actual site and blog. But do try to post quality content because content is king and is strongly recommended by Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
My advice is to create a free site using WordPress.com. Here is their propaganda; in my several years of experience with them it is truthful.

There’s nothing wrong with a “workmanlike” style. But there’s another word for a clear, concise, to-the-point style: “elegant.”

Content is what brings people to your site and brings them back. Target those who share your interests, such as evolution and evolutionary psychology. It’s better to have a few followers who are actively engaged with you and others who share your interests than enormous numbers who really don’t care that much.

Set up your site with three parts. Set the Home page to a blog of short posts about the topics which interest you. Put rarely-changing and longer posts (WP calls them “pages”) in the second, “static” part of your site. This includes a bio and articles or essays. When you create a new long “page” announce it in your Home part with a pointer to the new entry.

In an optional third part you can put a second blog which is part of your main site or linked from it. It will hold longer, chattier posts. Most of your followers won’t care about daily personal trivial.

In the main blog you can also include pointers to stories on other web sites which you and your target audience will likely enjoy. It’s especially useful if that story has an introductory image you can include in your post. This catches reader’s interest quickly and gives them some variety from the wall of text which is typical of most web sites.

Add at least one post a week to your site but no more than three. If you are deeply engaged in one or more subjects you will likely find these stories all the time. It will not be a painful search for ANYTHING to interest your readers. Finding then will occur naturally.

You can also easily embed videos in your posts if your host site is WP.com. The first key-frame of the video will show up in the post. Like this.

youtube_embedded.png

Last edited: