Fagin February 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Hey. Nice to see everybody cranking out words.

Yes, I'm back. Or trying to be again. Sorry for disappearing. Despite my intentions, I found it difficult to manage writing, editing, a massive home renovation, and the holidays. I haven't written anything new in months.

I guess my January goal was to get my manuscript off to the editor. And I managed that by the skin of my teeth.

But now I need to write another one. Would like to get 20k of that done in February.

To that end, 269 today, but that small wordage also involved making some key decisions on plot and timing, so I'm pleased with it.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Ooof, it was hard to get started again after a month or so of not writing :( Still, I managed the 'thread goal' and got 565 words down. Hopefully it will flow better tomorrow.

Best of luck to everyone, hope it will be a productive sunday for all!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Got through chapters 1 and 2 tonight. I have no objectivity about chapter 1 at all - I have read through it far too many times - but I did notice some repetition, some extraneous adverbs, and some misplaced modifiers. Chapter 2 is going to get some hacking, I think, but less than I would have thought. The right events happen, but there are some obvious places where it could be tightened up.

Lucie, you are absolutely right about starting the book in the right place. One change in the prologue (because I'm definitely redoing it - just arguing with myself over POV) will be to bring the story forward about 8 hours. Start in the middle, and not at the beginning. :D I have hopes it will work much better.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you, frankie, and Liz and wonder and the rest of the mob. I just met my morning goal - time for a break, a cup of coffee and then I think I'll get straight back into it. You know the feeling when you're buzzing and don't want to step away for an hour or two? That's me, right now...

I'm loving this book. :Hug2: book

ETA: even more of this :Hug2:. I don't even care that it's gone all literary and ripped my plottage to shreds and sales will be dismal.

I heart it to bits. :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:
Also 1400 words and some other ones.

I love this post so much.

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Saturday I did no writing at all and today did two pages, which is a target everyday target.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
165 yesterday. I'm finding that whenever I get near a big round figure my writing drops down into first gear. :Shrug:

Need to :poke: through the 30K mark.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Got almost halfway through the book tonight. I've changed my tactics a little - for each chapter, I'm starting to make a list of the things that happen that are important to the plot. It seems simple, I'm sure, to those who are used to this sort of thing; but I'm finding it much easier to recognize the extraneous bits after I've identified what needs to stay.

Should be able to get through the rest of it in the next two days...and then, I break open the beta feedback.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Liz. This is my first time as a plotter, too - I think we find our own ways of making it work.

:poke:, franky. (Also, MsD)

Well done Glance and Mitchell and Writer and welcome back Bflo.

I'm still in my pyjamaed, pre-coffee stage, but I have hopes of today - we'll see how it goes.

Franky - I've often notice that if I'm working properly, the slow days pay off in spades a day or two later - so don't despair!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Zero for me yesterday. Got struck by severe vertigo that has made being on the computer very difficult. :( Still have it, but I *need* to get back into writing. I'm almost done with the first draft.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse: that really sucks, I hope it clears up soon. Are you able to use the old pen and paper instead?

Mccardey: Yep, that's why I love this site. I have to write something 'cause I hate reporting zero words! Stops me slacking off.

I did better today, made it to 505 words.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking tomorrow off: I'm on an absolute roll, and I need to slow it down, so I don't just race through without some thought.

So, if you see me here tomorrow - remind me the WiP is taking a day off ;)

I'll be here to flog the rest of you into action, if it's required. And share a nice cup of tea with anyone who is enforcing the slow-down principle.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the flogging, mccardey. It worked!

@500 on the 3rd try of the synopsis. It's better. Much better. Not that I'm ever going to share with anyone. I'm just going to assume it's flawless and move on with my life. :gone:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the flogging, mccardey. It worked!

@500 on the 3rd try of the synopsis. It's better. Much better. Not that I'm ever going to share with anyone. I'm just going to assume it's flawless and move on with my life. :gone:

I read it. It's flawless. :Sun:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Logging off AW for a while helped. (Thanks, Mccardey;))

Managed a whopping 501 words Saturday, (OK, not whopping, but after a dry spell I'll take 'em.:D) Plus another 346 yesterday.:banana:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
January didn't work out for me. Nor did December or November. I don't remember October, but September wasn't much good either.

But it's a new year! and a new month! and although Word says I wrote all of 60 words yesterday, I reorganized and hacked and whittled away at my timeline issue - and added significantly more than 60 new words, thank you very much. It's all forward progress now. That's my February goal. Forward progress. I've got about 20k left in this WIP and I want to keep getting closer to The End.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Words, words, words!

Nothing over the weekend, just had to give Kelli a rest, plus it was Super Bowl weekend, which didn't help.

I did manage a whopping 536 today on tough scene/chapter. Not a lot, but I'll take them.

ETA: WIP now stands at 47,485 words! (Less than 26K to reach the 50K mark!)

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
another 2 pages today, this week is going well. 4 pages in two days and if i get two more pages done tomorrow, I will be well chuffed with my work.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Good going guys!

Managed 230 words today but more than likely am going to delete most of it tomorrow as I don't think its how I want to start this chapter.

Going to mull it over...:e2brows: (btw this smilie is creepy!)

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
franky_s - I wanted to, but I'm also having wrist issues, so I took the day off. Still really dizzy, but attempted it on the puter today. Difficult, but not impossible. :D

1,009 words today. Still migraine-y and spinning, but I'm too determined to finish this draft to miss any more days. *battle cry*

Awesome work everyone, as usual. :D