Avoiding potential conflicts of interest

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how industry-specific my concern is, but I thought it might be common enough that I could get some input.

I'm at a point right now where I'm not that sure which direction my career might end up going. I'm just finishing college, and haven't had a chance to work in the industries I'm interested in much. There are a few areas that I think I would really like to get into.

One of them is entertainment writing. I've always really loved the idea of being a TV and movie reviewer, or working for an entertainment magazine. That said, I'm not really counting on making a living as a professional reviewer.

However, I'm also interested in trying to work in the television industry directly, possibly in publicity or marketing.

I'm worried that these two interests could eventually create a conflict of interest. I want to keep working on my entertainment writing, but I hesitate to attach any of it to my real name because I'm not sure how it would make me look if I ever applied for a job with a company connected to the stuff I write about. I mean, say I applied for a job with NBC someday, and I'd written a critical (but civil and professional) review of one of their shows a while back, or had written an article that was critical of their business choices. Would this be likely to be a problem?

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is too industry-specific to get much input. But I can see how it could apply to other fields, too. I mean, if you're a professional author, do you worry about writing anything about the publishing industry or agents that might annoy people? And it seems like many non-fiction writers have some professional experience with the things they write about.

So, do you understand what my concern is? And how do you handle it? Do you just have to make a decision about whether you want to work in the industry or write, or can you potentially mix the two?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Do you mean college = high school, or college = university?

One obvious option would be to review under a pen name.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
University.

And yeah, using a pen name is definitely an option. I guess I worry that it'll make it harder for me to actually use any blogging experience to my advantage, career-wise. I mean, so many of the jobs I'm interested in want you to have an established social media presence or blogging experience. Can you say that you write under a pen name on your resume?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Certainly you can. What kind of degree are you completing? Because you need to be networking into your career now IMHO.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
English. I'm mainly looking for communications and editing-related jobs.

I like the idea of making a name for myself and being able to use the work I do on my own time to help build experience. But I guess I worry/worried that it wouldn't be helpful if it wasn't anything that potential employers could find by googling me.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
What type of journalism or public relations experience do you have? I write this assuming you have at least worked for your campus newspaper and have done a media internship or two. (If you haven't, you're starting from a substantial experience deficit - not insurmountable, but you're going to have to work twice as hard. English degrees on their own are a dime a dozen.)

The job market for entertainment writers/reviewers, frankly, is awful. There are very few full-time positions out there anymore. Freelancing is an option, but very difficult to break into. There is simply a glut of opinions on entertainment out there.

As for a future conflict of interest, that would technically really only apply if you were still reviewing while doing publicity or marketing, which no employer would allow you to do. I imagine it'd be more problematic for you if asked to promote a show or whatnot that you'd previously panned.

Realistically, if you're just graduating from college, you need to get that first job and see how it goes from there. Odds are heavily against you that you'll land a dream job off the bat. You may get a gig reporting for a weekly newspaper - so offer to do movie reviews on the side. Snag a job doing PR writing for the local power company? Offer to write for popmatters or a similar review site that you read regularly. After you've got a good stack of clips, parlay that first job and your side experience into something you really want to do.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't have any industry experience, and haven't written for the web since I was 16/17, which is partly why I'm trying to start blogging more.

That said, I have no real intention of being a professional reviewer or making a career as a writer. Reviewing is just a fun thing on the side for me, so I'm not too worried about the job prospects. However, I would be interested in working for an entertainment publication in another capacity, which is partly why I'm trying to build experience that shows understanding of the industry.

Also, I would like to be able to use my blog as an example of my blogging and web writing experience, since it's relevant for a lot of the types of jobs I'm interested in. And since I'm also interested in editing and copywriting jobs, anything that helps me practice my writing feels like a plus.

But I'm not thinking about right now. I'm thinking about how the decisions I make right now could affect me ten or fifteen years from now. I'm honestly not sure if having a having a negative of review under my name could become a faux pas if I actually get a chance to work in the entertainment industry (which I would love).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest looking for freelance reviewing gigs. They don't pay all that well but they are still out there. Especially if you look at lower circulation and specialty paper/magazines.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
That is a good idea, and something that's been on my mind for a while. That said, the same concern about future employability in the entertainment industry is still there, which is partly why I've avoided seeking out reviewing gigs.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
However, I would be interested in working for an entertainment publication in another capacity, which is partly why I'm trying to build experience that shows understanding of the industry.

You're taking the long view of your career, which is admirable. However, it may not be fruitful. What you need upon graduation, I presume, is a job to pay the bills. I would suggest you focus on that and not worry about 10-15 years down the road at this point. Get a baseline of experience as a writer or editor, and work it from there. I think you may be putting the cart before the horse.

Most publishers of magazines, websites and newspapers - typically outlets that feature reviews and entertainment writing - will look for your journalism experience first. Subject-matter knowledge of an industry comes second. I'd therefore suggest you work hard at being the best goshdarn press release writer / newsletter editor / copywriter that you can first. With no experience - and especially no clips - you've got to prove your chops first in a professional capacity. Without that, your concern is moot.

Your career will take many twists and turns. Don't worry too much right now about planning it out. Over the last 15 years, I've worked at three newspapers, a B2B magazine, in a PR office and at a radio station. The job I have now uses all the skills I developed in each of those gigs, but is not one I'd ever considered when starting out.

Last edited:

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
However, I'm also interested in trying to work in the television industry directly, possibly in publicity or marketing.

English. I'm mainly looking for communications and editing-related jobs.

Are you also majoring in marketing? If not then why not, it would seem to be a great combination with your interests.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
I understand that, but again, that isn't my question or concern here. I'm not asking about how to go about building a career--I already have plans about how to try to pay the bills post-graduation, and while career advice is always helpful (these are very new goals for me, which is why I haven't been able to build much experience yet), it's not why I started this thread.

And again, I'm not sure if a career in journalism would be for me, which is partly why I'm cautious. I love writing, and I love the entertainment industry, so doing some entertainment writing on my own time has been rewarding. But I also love the idea of working in the entertainment industry someday, and don't want to close that door. I'm not really concerned about what a newspaper or magazine will think of my reviews--I'm concerned about what a television network or a production company might think if I'm applying for a job and they stumble upon my writing history.

All I want to know is if it would be wiser to use a pen name, or write anonymously, even if might limit my ability to use my blog as a networking tool in the short-term.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
That said, I have no real intention of being a professional reviewer or making a career as a writer. Reviewing is just a fun thing on the side for me, so I'm not too worried about the job prospects. However, I would be interested in working for an entertainment publication in another capacity, which is partly why I'm trying to build experience that shows understanding of the industry.

I don't believe Perez Hilton (spoof on Paris Hilton) had any intentions of becoming a professional star stalker/reviewer and yet that is exactly what he has become.

You never know it might be your true calling, like others said use a pen name, maybe a catchy one, and start making the posts and see what kind of fish you catch.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
Are you also majoring in marketing? If not then why not, it would seem to be a great combination with your interests.

If I could do it all over again, or decide to go back to school eventually, I'd definitely consider it! As it is, it took me a while to figure out where my interests and skills lie, and only after spending a couple years studying in a totally unrelated field that ended up doing a number on me. I had to make some quick decisions, and taking on a second major didn't really seem feasible (and didn't really occur to me until I was far too close to graduation).

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
OK, bottom line: There is no need to worry about potential future fallout from writing you haven't yet done for a job you're not yet qualified for at an employer that may not even exist yet and definitely won't be hiring for that job for another nine years and 11 months.

Focus on the immediate future, write like a professional, research your desired field, read the industry publications and sites, write for outlets beyond a personal blog, and your objectives and tactics will come into focus.

kimcooper

Registered
Reaction score
I'd take a different spin on this question: since you're slightly anxious about potentially offending big entertainment employers, why not focus your critical writing on independent artists? They could use the press more than mainstream ones, and it's unlikely you'll ever step on a ring you might later need to kiss.