Seaweed

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a minor addict of using seaweed both in cooking and as a dry snack. I'm curious to know of other people here who make use of it.

In East Asia, various seaweeds are staple parts of the dietary regime. North America, not so much, except among people of Asian heritage. I only discovered the delights of it a few years ago, and now consider seaweeds of various kinds a major portion of the condiments/ingredients in cooking many soups, stir-fries and pasta dishes. And also dried seaweed as munchy snacks.

Many seaweeds are edible, and have valuable nutritional qualities, notably including the concentration of iodine, useful for thyroid health. They tend to have a delightful light natural saltiness, and dried snack sheets are becoming more and more common in supermarkets. Condiment jars likewise.

If you use dried seaweed as an addition to things like soups, be aware that a tiny bit goes a long way. No matter what variety, it tends to expand supernaturally in water. But, for me, it is as useful as any thin leafy green such as spinach in such cooking. Reconstituted for five minutes or so in a bowl of water, common varieties such as the dark green nori, are excellent in scrambled eggs, too.

I've harvest seaweed from shorelines a few times, but, alas, I don't live near a shoreline where such stuff can be obtained. If you do, certain good forms are easy to identify. Notably, a complex of thin, sheet-like forms generally called "sea lettuce" are easily recognized; these are bright green, almost look like artificially-dyed cellophane, and can be found coating rocks at low tide. I've just snacked on them along the shore (excellent!), but if you collect them, give them a bit of a wash in fresh water, and let them dry on a bit of screen in the sun or under a warm lamp, crumble into bits and store in a jar.

Other aficionados?

caw

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I'm addicted to nori strips. It's a long story, but I spent a few summers teaching traditional Korean cooking as part of a summer heritage camp for Korean adoptees, ages 6-18. I'm probably the only guy in Idaho who's garage smells like kimchi (the only Irish one, anyway). I don't use seaweed as an ingredient as often as I would if I kept it handy, but I'll take those spicy little nori strips over potato chips any day.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
I like Nori because it helps with the radiation leak from japan. It naturally blocks radiation. Woo. Go nature.

Off-topic
I didn't know you were hawaiian to L.Y.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I like Nori because it helps with the radiation leak from japan. It naturally blocks radiation. Woo. Go nature.

Just for technical info, the reason this works is that one of the major radioactive isotopes in fallout and reactor leaks (as at Fukushima) is an isotope of iodine. The thyroid gland concentrates iodine compounds. If you consume a lot of iodine-bearing foods, the concentration of iodine in the thyroid increases, and tends to block absorption of iodine from elsewhere, notably the radioactive isotope. Sodium iodide pills are sometimes prescribed for protection against the radioactive iodine isotope.

caw

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Korean grocery has gochujang (red chili paste) flavored seaweed snack. I love it! We also like the plain or sesame flavored one on salads or burgers or sandwiches. Crunch salty goodness without the grease.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I love it! I buy it at Costco! It comes in a huge pack of about 12 smaller packages. I sometimes eat it as a snack alone, and sometimes I crumble it over salads. It's so good!