Paying baseball sites?

DKM

In an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
I looked at the headings, three pages in, & couldn't find any sites that want a sports writer, particularly baseball. The Writer's Market really doesn't have much to offer. There's the Bleacher Report & others like Baseball News Source, which is basically defunct.

Sport fans are insatiable, w/ lots of money associated w/ almost every sport. There's got to be a few paying sites (e-zines or newspapers w/ a broad perspective) looking for baseball writers. Anybody know of some?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried the individual team websites? Maybe a minor league team website? Baseball Digest?

I've never looked at writing for any of these; I just know they exist.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the headings, three pages in, & couldn't find any sites that want a sports writer, particularly baseball. The Writer's Market really doesn't have much to offer. There's the Bleacher Report & others like Baseball News Source, which is basically defunct.

Sport fans are insatiable, w/ lots of money associated w/ almost every sport. There's got to be a few paying sites (e-zines or newspapers w/ a broad perspective) looking for baseball writers. Anybody know of some?

Sports fans are insatiable - and many want to write about sports. You're talking about probably the most competitive journalistic market there is. The number of places looking for baseball writers is very small, and the number of baseball writers currently operating trying to fill the spots is very large.

That's not to say no one breaks in, but the idea that there must be lots of places wishing for baseball writers is a bit the other way 'round. You have to go after it, hard, and with something to make you stand out from the large crowd.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Indeed, its a tough market, and since everyone has their own opinion and the Internet, its easy for many to just write for nothing.

As for paying markets, another area you might look into are the various fantasy baseball magazines. It might be too late for this year, but maybe there's a half-year edition.

DKM

In an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
Appreciate responses

I appreciate all the responses. This takes me back to the opening thread. Baseball News Source looks to be on life support, & that's putting it in the most favorable light. Althou they pop up all the time, most on-line sports sites, baseball or naught, are doomed to fail.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need to fix your signature link. I can't just click it; I have to copy and paste it to made it work.

If you love baseball, you might consider starting a webpage dedicated to baseball. You may be able to build a platform that could help you later on, especially if you can find some new angles and/or get a scoop or two.

Do you subscribe to MLB.TV?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses. This takes me back to the opening thread. Baseball News Source looks to be on life support, & that's putting it in the most favorable light. Althou they pop up all the time, most on-line sports sites, baseball or naught, are doomed to fail.

Most online sites looking for viewers and/or revenue are in the same boat, regardless of content. What's that to do with the question?

emmybun

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for sports too. They're hard. I don't know if you can find a blog that pays. I've also noticed many blogs that are dead. You might have to put your heads together and create a writing team with your own blog.

*Amel*

Registered
Reaction score
Which aspects of baseball do you want to write about?

I have seen a couple of baseball sites for children or teens, but I don't know if they are paying markets. You may have luck with these:

http://www.baseballyouth.com/

http://www.youthbaseballdaily.com/

Also see this list:

http://www.w3newspapers.com/magazines/baseball/

Perhaps you could broaden your outlook in order to reach more general markets as well. For example, you could write about the history of the game for a children's magazine...or talk about the science behind designing the most optimal bat, glove, etc. - or write a list of "fun facts" about baseball.

If writing for local newspapers or magazines, you could write about some underrepresented group that plays the sport in your area...or write a human interest piece about a team that is raising funds for some illness...or do a profile of an individual player who's doing something of value for the community...

The possibilities are really endless...it just depends on how you want to approach the topic.