conflict of interest?

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
I work in the PR office of a major organization but have grown disillusioned with it and am doing freelance writing on the side with the goal of eventually doing it full time. I came across some info at work yesterday that would make an awesome follow up to a big national story from last year. No one has broken it yet and I would love to be the one to do so. Because of my job I can't just call CNN or somewhere and sell the story with my byline on it. I'm not really supposed to release the info g but it sn't damaging to anyone ( actually it's positive.) Any thoughts?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
What does your employment contract say? What are the terms of your employment?

It would seem like, happy making or sad, that's where you are.

NOTE: This should not constitute legal advice. It's just an opinion. We do not do legal advice here.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It depends on many thing like whether the information was provided confidentially, whether you workplace would oppose using the information in this way, whether you job represents to great of a source of undisclosed bias etc.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't sign a nondisclose agreement but I don't think they'd be happy about it. The only thing I've come up with is maybe I could sell the story with the stipulation they don't use my byline...but then it would be useless as far as my portfolio goes, unless I could get the news outlet to write a letter stating I wrote it or something. I don't know if any place would even go for that.

Of course I could always just submit the story somewhere and wait to get fired.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This is just my opinion, but if you got the information on the job, and your employers would not want it disclosed, I would not do it.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I didn't sign a nondisclose agreement but I don't think they'd be happy about it.

Whether or not you signed an NDA, you could still be breaching your employment contract. Strictly speaking I have to ask my manager's permission if I do any paid work for anyone else.

Ask HR for a copy for your files, and see what it says. Clarify any legal issues, then think about the relationship issues. Are you going to burn any bridges you might regret later?

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I came across some info at work yesterday that would make an awesome follow up to a big national story from last y[...] I'm not really supposed to release the info...
In my opinion, it sounds like it's non-public information, in which case it may be a violation. You probably need to contact HR or your legal or ethics department for further clarification on what constitutes conflict of interest.

Personally, I'd tread carefully. Even if I didn't care about the job, I do care about my reputation.

TB4me2000

scribbling in the deep south
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brittanymtaylor.wordpress.com
Second and thirding reputation damages

Think about it from your future freelancing career, as well. Say it gets out that you broke a confidentiality agreement or disclosed information that you had agreed to keep mum on until a certain date. Other PR people handling sensitive information--and remember, what's sensitive to them might not be sensitive to you--might not give you the information you want or need before it's released to the public because you have a history of disclosing it early.

Publishing is a small world. And media folks have long memories.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm not really supposed to release the info...

That's all you need to answer your question, I reckon.

...but it isn't damaging to anyone ( actually it's positive.)

What if you're wrong in that assessment? What if the person/people/company/other entity involved disagrees?

Are you willing to gamble your professional reputation on this scoop?