Jerusalam Artichokes. (Sunchokes, earthchokes)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So they're pretty prolific little guys, aren't they? Any ideas for eating?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Sauteed in butter or olive oil (or a combination), salt, pepper, and your favorite herb. They work with garlic, sage, thyme...

As a simple side, or over pasta. :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
My dad has them in his garden because he planted them 10 years ago and they're impossible to get rid of. But he doesn't like them all that much and didn't even bother harvesting them this year, so I haven't had them for a while.

I think they're rather plain raw (just crispy, not much flavour), but I like them roasted. Sliced, not too thick, add some olive oil and salt and pepper. Don't take too long to cook, from what I remember.

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
I had sunchokes for the first time last fall, in this absolutely fabulous soup. I'd definitely recommend that recipe!

We had a couple of sunchokes left over, so I tossed them in a tupperware and left them in the fridge. We went on vacation, they got pushed to the back, and forgotten. I found them a couple of weeks ago and wondered if they were still viable.

Well, they sprouted into lovely, vigorous plants! We're going to keep them in pots to control their growth, but I look forward to many sunchokes to come. :D

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm following this thread. We have them everywhere and thus far, I haven't found a favorable way to prepare them.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
They work much like water chestnuts in stir-fries, and, when I can get them, I often chop them up fine to add to soups & stews and the like. I tried growing them once some years ago, up here in the northern clime, and had zero success. I do know they can be a pest in favorable areas.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Addendum: for anyone unfamiliar with this vegetable, it has the relationship to a true artichoke that a motorcycle has to a panda. It got the name as a corruption of the Italian word for it: "girasole".

The edible part is the tuberous root, which is starchy and for people with certain food allergies, is a good substitute for potato. It is, however, gnarly, looks a bit like a ginger root, and requires a bit of fiddlng to prepare. My experience also is that it doesn't keep particularly well in the fridge, or elsewhere. So must be prepared fairly fresh.

But is a pretty nice edible, aside from those issues.

caw