No Knead Bread

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So yesterday I made No Knead Bread for the second time. I used this recipe. Both times, the crust came out amazing: crunchy, golden, flavorful and so on, but the crumb is pretty dense! The dough rose quite a lot when resting, so I know that the yeast isn't dead. Could it be that my oven just isn't hot enough or something? I tried increasing the temperature a little bit this time, but it hasn't really made a difference.

Mr. Putt loves it. He says the texture is reminiscent of English crumpets. "As long as you don't think of it as bread, it's really, really good," so says Mr. Putt as he finishes half the loaf in one sitting.

*le sigh!*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you use bread flour or all-purpose?

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used bread flour.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If anything, I would think you would want to use a lower oven temperature.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! A lower oven temp and longer baking time? *strokes chin* Interesting...how much lower and how much more time should I bake it for?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you actually baking it at 450 degrees?

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I converted 450F to C and got 233C. The first time I baked it at 230C, the second time I baked at 235C.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat has a good thought there--and it's something we have to take into consideration when we're baking at different altitudes.

Something else you might want to consider: With no-knead bread, the extra liquid and longer rising time compensate for kneading by helping to create those long protein strands necessary for elasticity and a good crumb. But because the recipe calls for more liquid than breads we knead, it's beneficial to give the process a little extra help by cross-cutting the top (like a hot cross bun) to help the bread's own steam to create that high dome lift during baking. Let the steam escape this way and see if it doesn't help.

A thought.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just making a hunch, maybe bake it at 200C. 450F seems very hot.

Bake it until the bread makes a hollow sound when you thump it.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat has a good thought there--and it's something we have to take into consideration when we're baking in different altitudes.

Something else you might want to consider: With no-knead bread, the extra liquid and longer rising time compensate for kneading by helping to create those long protein strands necessary for elasticity and a good crumb. But because the recipe calls for more liquid than breads we knead, it's beneficial to give the process a little extra help by cross-cutting the top (like a hot cross bun) to help the bread's own steam to create that high dome lift during baking. Let the steam escape this way and see if it doesn't help.

A thought.

Interesting! I will try this out next time. Thank you!

I'm just making a hunch, maybe bake it at 200C. 450F seems very hot.

Bake it until the bread makes a hollow sound when you thump it.

Okay, I will try that too. Thank you alleycat! :Hug2:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first I have to hang my head in shame.

Last week I made some biscuit bread. I got the flour out of the wrong canister. I was supposed to use self-rising; instead I used all-purpose flour. I wondered why my bread was so flat when I was cooking it. Then I had an "doh!" moment.

Last edited:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww! :D What did you do with the biscuits?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ate 'em.

:)

With biscuit bread they are not really biscuits--more like one giant biscuit that you cut or tear off.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I'd actually suggest a hotter oven for the first ten minutes - the hottest your oven will go to. That'll make the bread rise a lot very quickly - called oven spring - before it bakes enough to make it not move any more. Then lower it to, uh, well, I usually go with 180C or somewhere thereabouts, but it really depends on the oven.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I use all-purpose flour with this recipe all the time, and it comes out amazing. Did you let it rise long enough? I do it overnight and then take it out for its "nap" about an hour before dinner.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used the same recipe to make no knead focaccia and it turned out perfect. I have no idea why, but ah well, I can't complain. :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making my first loaf today - I've never been trusted with it before. Of course it's midwinter down here, so it might not rise as well as it has done over the last six months. It will be mortifying if it turns out I've made a brick.