Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I've dried herbs in the oven before, so I think I'll try it with peppers. Just need to wait for a chilly day.

For Bos:

This recipe is one used every year for over a century on an Illinois farm. Every time I make it I have to sit down and figure out the ratios of ingredients, depending on how many green tomatoes I have.

Green Tomato Relish

1 peck green tomatoes
24 bell peppers; 12 red and 12 green
1 quart onions

Chop the above and leave to drain of water.
Place in large pot, cover with vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar) and boil for 30 mins.
Add: 3 pounds sugar, 1/2 cup salt, 3 tbsp mustard seed, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp cloves, 1 tbsp allspice, 3 tbsp celery seed.
Keep heated and stirring until sugar has completely dissolved.
Fill sterilized jars to brim and seal.

My tips:
Open windows when boiling the vinegar mix.
It's hot and thirsty work - have a couple of good beers while you work. Taste it before you jar it. I use less sugar than the original recipe 'cos I like it nice and tart.
If you make a big batch label your jars with the year.
Lovely on meat or cheese sandwiches, alongside roasted meats or as part of a ploughman's lunch.
Can be stored in the pantry, but refrigerate once open.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Augh. I just wrote something about a "smiley riverbed." Not "slimy." "Smiley." Typos. They are so amusing.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I pop in and the first thing I see is dick/deck. :roll:

I typo all the time, at least that's what I call all of those spelling mistakes.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Fine, I'll just drink my coffee and hope that I can make it through tomorrow. I have to get up at five. That's going to suck and then I don't even get to work in my department, nope gotta do someone else's job all day. *sigh*

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Fine, I'll just drink my coffee and hope that I can make it through tomorrow. I have to get up at five. That's going to suck and then I don't even get to work in my department, nope gotta do someone else's job all day. *sigh*

If I had your job, a lot of crap would be falling off the truck when delivered and the inventory would be my greatest work of fiction ever.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even get to do truck tomorrow, which sounds like a good thing, but it's not because I'm stuck on the front register dealing with all the assholes customers all day. It's where all the newbies start out. I hate the front register. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.