Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The Sheep! The Sheep has returned!

Hi, Boston! Glad to have you baa-aa-aaack!

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will take the nachos.

But make no promises about being back. Things have gone a bit sideways here - nothing dreadfully serious, just financial setbacks and such - and work's a bit of a cluster:censored: .

I will try and poke my head back in a bit more often.

Especially if Bri is posting pics from Portland.

:D

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotta wait for Soaps to give me approval on which ones I'm allowed to post! But as soon as she has, I'll be sharing more photos.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Here's a pic of me with the Koffin Kats lead singer, Vic. I hung out with those guys after the show and turned into a total fangirl.

a8531df2-a2cb-466e-a09f-680e89b4f037_zpscf1f01e0.jpg

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I've gotta wait for Soaps to give me approval on which ones I'm allowed to post! But as soon as she has, I'll be sharing more photos.
Well you have to send them to me first, dork. :tongue

Here's a pic of me with the Koffin Kats lead singer, Vic. I hung out with those guys after the show and turned into a total fangirl.
Oh cool, Ted. I like his tats. :D

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Vic was gracious to fans. Of course, he closed the show with my favorite song, For Hire, which is about killing somebody for money. And I pretty much screamed the lyrics while standing in front of him, so I think he was weirded out by me. I was the oldest guy in the place and had the longest hair.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I think he was weirded out by me.
:roll: I overdo my exuberance for famous people I like sometimes (in other ways) and wonder the same thing.

Then I also occasionally do the opposite and clam up right when I have a chance to be social with them. :rolleyes:

I fell somewhere in the middle of two at WHC last weekend.

Last edited:

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh! Lilli got me. Guess I'll stick around, lol.

Hiya all! *love vamps* I find them quite intriguing. Unfortunately, so much so that the last few refused to turn me, even after I ask them to. Sigh. I suppose I'll have to live with my boring humanity, in which I'm told I ought to be grateful for. :)

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Oh, you don't want this one to turn you. She's kind of cruel at times.

I love vampires and mythic creatures in general. I like my vamps vicious though instead of angst ridden.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Hounds.

Hi, guys. Sorry I've not been around today. We celebrated Mother's day with a big cookout. Had a good time.

On the other hand, my mother has finally tipped over into incomprehension. She spent the morning agitated, and this afternoon calmer but utterly incoherent. It's been coming for a while, but nothing quite prepares you. Mom never did have any luck on Mother's Day.

Alzheimer's sucks.

Sorry to hear that, Junely. :Hug2:

Final word count for the first draft of Giggles? 1,849 words! Yay! It's done! It's done! Pass the blood wine please?!

Congratulations! Now get it alpha-ed, beta-ed and send it out somewhere! (Eyeblink has spoken.)

Hah, yes, Atlanta! Is it too soon to start thinking about Atlanta? Let's do Atlanta, all of us, because Portland was so, so incredible.

I have to say, the pro workshops were just amazing. Mine was so encouraging, and Soaps' workshop was, and yes. Everyone was super supportive and kind. But fair and constructive and yeah, those things, too.

I did WHC four years ago, when it was in the UK. Cons in other countries don't look like being on the agenda, this year or next. My finances should be in much better state a year and a quarter from now, so maybe 2016.

I would imagine that I'm not the only one to notice, just the only one to comment.

Sometimes I don't respond to things, but I do read tham. I try to imagine the forum as a group of people I'm conversing with, and where there are people who sagely nod their heads in agreement or whatever but don't actually say much a the time.

I don't post here as often as others, and not as often as I should, though I do read most posts.

Back to that - I'm going over the notes I got from the pros at the workshop I went to, and boy am I the last person on the planet to realize my writing voice is super YA.

It's weird how blind we can be to our own writing quirks - not just young writing voice, necessarily, but word choice, or structures we use.

What's something about your work you didn't realize, that someone else has pointed out to you? Tendency to use a weird word? Grammar quirk you can't kick? Yeah, that's my preoccupation at the moment.

YA is no bad thing. My novels in progress are YA (unpublished), though at the older 14+ end. My short fiction is not aimed at YA though.

A grammar/punctuation thing I tend to overuse and always have to take out again in revision would be brackets and parentheses. Otherwise I tend to use present tense a lot - except when I don't. First person - except when I don't. Female leads and POV - except when I don't. (My published stories are roughly 50/50 in that.) "Mourning Becomes Me", my novella in progress, is the latter two, though the "first person" is a lot less straightforward than it might appear at first.

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
mmm... BBQ

Ted's right. I'm a total carnivore, so giving up my meats for a liquid diet would kinda... suck. *snickers quietly*

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Feeling awesome about your own writing is great! Some writers here *ahem* have low self-esteem issues and think their own stuff is bad. .

Which doesn't include you now, because you had a piece accepted last week. *Wags finger*

I will try and poke my head back in a bit more often.

Bos! good to see you.

mmm... BBQ

Ted's right. I'm a total carnivore, so giving up my meats for a liquid diet would kinda... suck. *snickers quietly*

Ooo, a newbque. More sauce, more sauce. Hi Smeasking :welcome:

Morning hounds.

I managed to do some noodling last night, and also finished a very useful book.

RA, are you there? Get hold of a copy of 'Bird by Bird' by Anne Lamott, and if you can't find it pm me and I'll email it to you. It's really good. this is a woman who understands the writers brain, or at least, this writers brain.

:Coffee:

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, a newbque. More sauce, more sauce. Hi Smeasking :welcome:

:Coffee:

Thank you, Aliwood!

Am usually just peeking in here and there, but Lillith caught me with a trap at the door this time. *Luckily it was made of chocolate* So I ate my way out, and stuck around after. :)

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
Don't try biting me, though! I may be full of sweet stuff, but I also have an extremely low tolerance for pain. :)

Smeasking

Registered
Reaction score
EEEEEEEK....! K, running scared now. Too hot in this kitchen!

Lol, been fun. See y'all later! Off to dreamland... gotta work in the morning. :)

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
*traps sox*

How's everyone want their sox? I was thinking medium for my bit, with some sriracha of course. Now, did anyone see where I put the sriracha?

*looks at post count* Well look at that, seems I reached 1K in posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.