My 3 Reasons for Self-Pubbing & Sales Updates on Print & Ebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I forgot to include this link to what I thought was your book on B&N. There's no image or text to it, just the ISBN, name, and title. Very similar - great minds think alike?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/heart-song-joyce-ann-naslund/1113122941

Wow! That is really weird. That is my novel. I'm trying to figure out how it came to be listed there, I mean, you can't buy it or anything.

I wonder if it has a connection with my ISBN number. Maybe Bowkers put it on there. Still, when you can't purchase it and can't even see the cover...it makes absolutely no sense to me????

P.S.: The reason the author name is different is because I was originally going to use my first and middle names flipped (my intention for the past ten or twelve years) for a pen name. When I was actually ready to go to print, I had a change of heart. For some reason it suddenly meant a lot to me to have my full given name on my work, which, as you already know, is Joyce Ann Naslund. So, there you have it! ;)

Thanks for providing the link. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Wow! That is really weird. That is my novel. I'm trying to figure out how it came to be listed there, I mean, you can't buy it or anything.

Do they have second-hand listings on that site? I know on Amazon, sometimes things are there simply because one of their marketplace sellers sold one. It can be a book Amazon has never sold.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Do they have second-hand listings on that site? I know on Amazon, sometimes things are there simply because one of their marketplace sellers sold one. It can be a book Amazon has never sold.

Well, Polenth, the only way I'm selling the novel right now is by letters sent to relatives and friends, which has led to other sales via my dedicated PO box, and the sales I've mentioned above to people I meet when I'm out and about. It's a mystery to me...

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I just don't want to overstep boundaries, Ann. Part of the whole self-publishing journey is to learn, and we all do that differently. I didn't ask anyone how to format. It never even occurred to me. I read the guide, tried it, mucked it up, revised my document, tried again, mucked it up (you get the idea). By the time I finally got it uploaded correctly, I had learned a lot! Ha! Some people would learn better by having someone walk them through it. I like to try on my own first.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Well, Polenth, the only way I'm selling the novel right now is by letters sent to relatives and friends, which has led to other sales via my dedicated PO box, and the sales I've mentioned above to people I meet when I'm out and about. It's a mystery to me...

What I'm saying is someone you sold it to may have resold it online. Or donated it to a second-hand bookshop, which sells their stuff online.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that B&N lists anything with an ISBN. If they sell a copy of a book they'll maybe ask a distributor or wholesaler for a copy and if they can't find one, they'll cancel the sale.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Merri. Actually, I would have loved someone to walk me through it. The one that could have, had he been here, is my oldest grandson. Alas, he's in California. So, instead, I researched and studied and read every thread I could find pertaining to this subject. I learned alot, but still fell short. Hoping to finish this thing a bit more savvy than when I started.

I'm pretty sure that B&N lists anything with an ISBN. If they sell a copy of a book they'll maybe ask a distributor or wholesaler for a copy and if they can't find one, they'll cancel the sale.

Thanks, Old Hack. That makes sense. Bowkers has the cover as well as the back blurb, so I wonder why that isn't showing on the B&N site too. *shrugs* I am sure it's not being sold second-hand. Even though it was officially 'published' on the 15th of Oct., it wasn't even available until the 20th. Oh well, it's above my comprehension right now. Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Some people would learn better by having someone walk them through it.

Hi, Merri - I just wanted to thank you again for encouraging me to make use of that Smashwords Style Guide. I googled it again and was able to find a web addy that allowed me to download it straightaway. w00t! I found tons of helpful information in there and was able to get much further along in the proper formatting of my novel.

There was a section that clearly explained the use of a ToC in a novel and I came away feeling a bit more enlightened in that regard too. I put some of that info on the thread where I asked about the neccessity of a ToC if you're intested. I didn't add it here because I think I read that the mods don't want us to post the same thing in two threads.

Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
You are very welcome, Ann.

I think a table of contents can be very helpful in a book and appreciated the responses you received in that particular thread. I don't personally find them useful in a novel that only has Chapter One, Chapter Two, etc. as chapter titles.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Weekly Update

As I anticipated, Thanksgiving week was very slow. I did have an order for two books though, bringing my total to 80 print sales for 5 weeks. That always brings a smile to your face.

There is one thing that disappoints me, however, and maybe some of you have experienced it. There are sixteen more people that told me they couldn't wait until I got my book published so they could buy it. I sent them letters four weeks ago and not one of those sixteen have followed through as yet. These are friends that have been asking me how my writing's coming for many years and have told me repeatedly to hurry up so they could read it.

In addition, there are ten more Facebook friends that asked me online how they could get it, so I gave them ordering instructions. One of them told me she was putting the check in the mail the next day. That was 3 weeks ago.

Not everyone is obligated to buy my book (nor do I expect them to), but like I told my husband, a simple congratulations or "way to go, girl!" would have been far better than making a statement you weren't going to keep. That's just my humble opinion.

Sorry for the vent...it just makes me feel a bit sad and serves as a reminder to me to never say I'm going to do something and not follow through if I can help it. Having said all that, I still feel extremely blessed, and as for the rest of it, I need to remember, "It's all about grace", and I am making a choice to move past this and look to see what's up ahead. Hope you're all having a wonderful Sunday!

Last edited:

dogpie

Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I totally know that feeling, and the only thing you can do is get used to it. I write articles for one of the biggest humor sites in the world, articles that get one or two million views each, and whenever I share my work on Facebook, I'll be lucky if I can get one like from my 500+ friends, many of whom are actual real friends.

You're better off expecting nothing and just happily taking the praise you receive.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I totally know that feeling, and the only thing you can do is get used to it. I write articles for one of the biggest humor sites in the world, articles that get one or two million views each, and whenever I share my work on Facebook, I'll be lucky if I can get one like from my 500+ friends, many of whom are actual real friends.

You're better off expecting nothing and just happily taking the praise you receive.

Thanks for your comments, Dogpie. It sounds like you are very successful in your writing career in spite of the FB friends. Congratulations! The FB friends I mentioned are all real friends, some longtime. I know about the like thing too...very few of them take the time. I just wish they wouldn't say they are buying and then don't follow through. I really am thankful for the ones that have been so supportive though... that means a lot. Cheers!

merrihiatt

Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've had the same experience, Ann. When I had my first book published (really, just printed by a faux publisher), all my friends and family were excited and saying they wanted a copy. I made a list of about 100 people or so and ordered 75 paperback books to sell face-to-face. It was quite a shock when I announced the books were here and most people said, "Congratulations," then walked away. I wouldn't have ordered so many books but for the fact that people said they wanted one.

Even though they said they wanted to buy a book, I think what they really meant was that they wanted to support me and thought they were doing that by saying they'd buy a copy. I realized then that these folks probably had good intentions but there could be many reasons they didn't follow through:
*Lack of money.
*Not liking the genre.
*Hoping you will GIVE them a signed copy (after all, we're friends, right?).
*They may have read some of the book and didn't like it or felt it had too many errors (not talking specifically about anyone's book).
*They may have never intended to buy a copy, but were trying to be nice and supportive and didn't really know what to say.
*They may prefer e-books (or vice versa, prefer paperbacks).

There are many more, I'm sure.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
I've had the same experience, Ann. When I had my first book published (really, just printed by a faux publisher), all my friends and family were excited and saying they wanted a copy. I made a list of about 100 people or so and ordered 75 paperback books to sell face-to-face. It was quite a shock when I announced the books were here and most people said, "Congratulations," then walked away. I wouldn't have ordered so many books but for the fact that people said they wanted one.

My theory is that *everyone* knows someone who says they're writing a book, and when that book is finally published, they're too surprised to actually believe it. After all, how many people actually follow through with writing (or other artistic) goals? It's a metric ton of work, especially when an author has chosen to self-publish. When my first chapbooks were published almost 10 years ago, I had the same experience you did, which is why I didn't count on sales from friends and family when I self-published my first novel (they're also forbidden from posting reviews online, not that I'm worried about that!).

Ann, I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Your print sales are very impressive, and as a reader who has gone to the other side (aka ebooks), I'm hoping to see an electronic version in the future! :)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score

Even though they said they wanted to buy a book, I think what they really meant was that they wanted to support me and thought they were doing that by saying they'd buy a copy. I realized then that these folks probably had good intentions but there could be many reasons they didn't follow through:
*Lack of money.
*Not liking the genre.
*Hoping you will GIVE them a signed copy (after all, we're friends, right?).
*They may have read some of the book and didn't like it or felt it had too many errors (not talking specifically about anyone's book).
*They may have never intended to buy a copy, but were trying to be nice and supportive and didn't really know what to say.
*They may prefer e-books (or vice versa, prefer paperbacks).

There are many more, I'm sure.

Yep, I know this experience. When I first announced what I was doing my friends all immediately said 'well I'll buy one'. Yet since I've put all the links up on facebook and twitter etc and showed them all WHERE to buy it - none of them have. I think they thought I was going to spend my money (of which I have very little) buying them free copies. Nope.

My mum keeps buying copies to give to her friends which is nice, but it's annoying me a little. People need to learn that writers aren't made of money and that writers don't get free author copies (at least when self/vanity published). Some days I get very frustrated with this.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've lost count of the times acquaintances of mine have expected me to give them free copies of the books I've written or edited, and then get huffy when I don't, or when I point them gently towards a bookshop.

I now offer to trade them a free copy for a free share of their professional services, whatever they might be. It does bring the point home nicely and it's not like I'm at risk of losing any of my real friends by doing this.

The real problem, though, is that so few people understand the dynamics of publishing, and assume that it's all launch parties and jollies, with big wads of cash somehow arriving into one's bank account regardless. I wish it were so.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Merri; D. Romantic; sarahdalton and Old Hack, I appreciate all of your comments. It sounds like you've all had to deal with disappointments too. It seems that people not in the business fail to understand all of the heart and hard work that goes into getting a book ready for their consumption and enjoyment.

In my Pollyanna heart of hearts, I believe at least 80% of these people that said they wanted to buy the book will still come through. I know, I know...I did say Pollyanna, didn't I? Anyway, I'll let you know if they actually do down the road.

I think, too, some probably read the letter I sent, set it aside to take care of later and forgot about it. That's why I'm sticking by my book signing open house model with every print book I publish. I still believe it's the most viable way to launch a book and have a little party with your friends at the same time. And, it's validating.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Your print sales are very impressive, and as a reader who has gone to the other side (aka ebooks), I'm hoping to see an electronic version in the future! :)

Thank you so much! I thought they were pretty good print sales for a new, self-pubbed author, but then, I have to tell you, I do have major bouts with unsurety.

I'm working on the electronic version right now. it is taking longer than I had thought, but I'm still hoping to have it up in a week or so. Of course, I'll be so excited, I'll announce it! ;)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
I now offer to trade them a free copy for a free share of their professional services, whatever they might be. It does bring the point home nicely and it's not like I'm at risk of losing any of my real friends by doing this.

Hahahahaha...this really tickled my funny bone...great idea!

The real problem, though, is that so few people understand the dynamics of publishing, and assume that it's all launch parties and jollies, with big wads of cash somehow arriving into one's bank account regardless. I wish it were so.

I know, right? It takes an enormous amount of blood, sweat and tears to get your book published AND take the responsibility for your own marketing, etc. The launch party (if you go that route) is a tremendous amount of work in itself, as is every other thing you do to promote your work. This is why I thought about it long and hard, counting the cost, before I decided to take the plunge.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Me, I would never expect friends and family to purchase my books. It puts unnecessary pressure on relationships as I try to figure out why they have not purchased MY book. When I visit their house, I don't want to wonder, "Why is my book not on their book shelves?."

I do have a few friends and family members though I will gift a book too, for their support over the years.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I hear what you're saying, Ann, about the family and friends issue. None of my family have bought anything I've published. Or if they have they haven't told me or given me feedback. All except for a cousin who said she bought two of my short stories. One cousin also bought a non-fiction book. That's all I know of.

Over Thanksgiving I was telling my son-in-law about a specific review I had on a novel, which had been particularly gratifying. He read the review then downloaded the book for $4.99. That wasn't my intent. As a poor preacher he doesn't have the money to be buying books like that. Plus he could have downloaded it for free in June, and as my FB friend he would have known that. So I tossed him a $5 bill, thereby losing $1.63 on the sale.

NDG

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Merri; D. Romantic; sarahdalton and Old Hack, I appreciate all of your comments. It sounds like you've all had to deal with disappointments too. It seems that people not in the business fail to understand all of the heart and hard work that goes into getting a book ready for their consumption and enjoyment.

In my Pollyanna heart of hearts, I believe at least 80% of these people that said they wanted to buy the book will still come through. I know, I know...I did say Pollyanna, didn't I? Anyway, I'll let you know if they actually do down the road.

I think, too, some probably read the letter I sent, set it aside to take care of later and forgot about it. That's why I'm sticking by my book signing open house model with every print book I publish. I still believe it's the most viable way to launch a book and have a little party with your friends at the same time. And, it's validating.

I still think you're doing an awesome job of selling your print books, but I can empathize with the puzzling responses from friends and family. I wasn't going to make print copies of my books because I know myself and I suck at selling face to face. However, I have one elderly aunt who lives across the country who kept asking about the book, so I finally made a print version in April. Well, she still hasn't bought it, but after she came for a visit last month, I think I know why. She has become very forgetful. In fact I worry she may be in early stages of dementia as she forgot conversations we had within in minutes of having them. I had some extra copies of my book at home, so I simply signed it and gave it to her. The next day, she was asking how she could get a copy of my book. :-/

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Me, I would never expect friends and family to purchase my books. It puts unnecessary pressure on relationships as I try to figure out why they have not purchased MY book. When I visit their house, I don't want to wonder, "Why is my book not on their book shelves?.".

See, I don't mind people not buying it either I just don't like it when people say they will and gush about it but then never follow through. I feel like they're waiting for me to turn up one day with free copies otherwise they will never do anything about it.

Anyway, we're digressing.

Ann your sales are really impressive, don't get disheartened by the occasional person who doesn't follow through! Keep going! :)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Me, I would never expect friends and family to purchase my books..."

I agree with you, Nick. I would never expect anyone to buy my book either. But this is like discussing apples and oranges. I'm mostly talking about people that have approached me and initiated the discussion about my novel, telling me they couldn't wait to get it and read it when it's published. Because I'm a person that keeps my word (when it's in my power to do so), I believe if you're going to make a statement to someone, you should follow through. Pollyanna.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, well, people say polite lies all the time. Probably because most people probably prefer to hear them rather than the truth.

I similar case is if a friend offers to beta-read your short story but 3 months later they haven't got back to you. That means they aren't that enthusiastic about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.