Rejectomancy

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aggie, what markets do you recommend for twit fic?
Apart from Nanoism I don't know any.

I've been published by One Forty Fiction, Trapeze (spec-fic only) and Cuento. (Also microcosms which is paying but apparently only takes poetry which I didn't realize when I subbed. Got lucky when Stephen decided to do a special fiction month to celebrate NaNoWriMo. :p) The first three are non-paying markets. I know there are a couple others, but I can't remember them at the moment. Acceptance rates vary by market. (One Forty is about 1 in 3, Trapeze and Cuento are about 50% A:R - according to Duotrope.)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got a surprising and nice rejection from Stupefying Stories. Surprising because I didn't realize I had sent them that particular story! It was nice because they said they held onto it for further consideration, but ultimately decided to pass. Then they said they're holding a story I DID remember submitting to them in the "Do we buy it or not?" pile. Personally, I hope they vote "we buy it." Also, I wish it wasn't that hard of a decision. :D

Last edited:

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Well, that's promising at least, Marzioli! How long were you out to them before you heard something?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's promising at least, Marzioli! How long were you out to them before you heard something?
I sent them in mid to late December, so around 65 for one and 61 for the other.

Last edited:

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually a great R, Marzioli! or as much as possible for such a thing. You're not just hammering at the gate, you've made it into the gatehouse for a nice cup of coffee.

I know about confusing yourself...I just subbed a story I'd reworked and retitled to Lightspeed. Within 4 seconds of hitting send, I saw that its origin was rejected 4 weeks ago by... Lightspeed! I sent a grovelling withdrawl, but got the usual R anyway (fortunately not a why the H did you send me this again?!)

Good luck on the pile!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I think, in this case, there was good reason for confusion. But it's a long and uninteresting story, and might involve errors on both sides of the email. In any case, I need this rejection streak to end! At this point, I'm doing the emotionally dangerous--I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Marzioli: Sorry about the Stupefying R and good luck on the other sub. I want more TOC mates! :)

Lightspeed does have a higher tier rejection, but it's pretty self explanatory. Something along the lines of liking the story, and looking forward to more subs from you.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Alex! I hope so too! But I'd settle for a later issue, if I had to. :D

Also, tried writing something I thought Clarke's World would like, but it turns out I had no clue. 2 day rejection. I still like the story, though, so it'll make it's usual pro-market rounds.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No shame in that. I've never cracked the form rejection sealing at Clarkesworld OR Lightspeed. Got a higher form from F&SF, which is a nice start, but even the best of writers get tons of rejection from top tier markets.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, if I'm going to get a form R, I don't mind it sounding like this:

Thank you for submitting "Those Who Can't Do" to Redstone Science Fiction. We have decided to pass on your story, but wanted to let you know that we like your writing, and that we look forward to an opportunity to read more of your work in the future.

We will reopen for submissions on May 1, 2012, and I hope to hear from you again then.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great R!

I just got the worlds most embarrassing R.
It said there were spelling and grammar mistakes and I should check it over before I sent it back out. :(

I do appreciate them telling me, but right now I want to go and hide behind the sofa.

Lol.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question: I know that in general replying to rejection emails is frowned upon, but if a personal rejection is extremely flattering and offered solid advice on improving the story, would it be excusable to write a brief thank-you reply to the rejection?

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question: I know that in general replying to rejection emails is frowned upon, but if a personal rejection is extremely flattering and offered solid advice on improving the story, would it be excusable to write a brief thank-you reply to the rejection?
Every editor I have ever read interviewed says absolutely not. It's a waste of time for them, and they get nothing out of it. I believe they understand that thankfulness is natural, but the only thanks they want is for you to send something next time that they can't live without purchasing.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
26 day rejection from Apex. It was a form, but it was from the editor-in-chief so maybe that means something (even if it doesn't, I still prefer it to the submission system they were using before).

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

Marzioli already answered your question, but here's one thing I would add...

What I've heard before is that in this case it is reasonable and possibly beneficial to have a brief comment in the cover letter for your next submission to the same publication along the lines of "Thanks for your kind words about my recent submission of STORY NAME HERE." This both lets you cover that social grace of thanking someone and avoids adding an extra email to their inbox AND potentially reminds them "Oh, yeah, I did like STORY NAME HERE quite a bit."