Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
10-rejection from Strange Horizon. It was a long shot so I'm not too surprised. It is a pain that I have to wait until August 21 to be able to send them something else though (they're asking people to wait before submitting again).

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
And another rejection from Cincinnati Review. It was out 106 days. I hate multi-rejection days.

SemiADD

Registered
Reaction score
Some of you are mentioning you have several submissions out at once - how does this work? Somebody once told me not to submit to more than one agent at once in case of two accepting you at the same time. Or is it okay on different pieces of work?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Some of you are mentioning you have several submissions out at once - how does this work? Somebody once told me not to submit to more than one agent at once in case of two accepting you at the same time. Or is it okay on different pieces of work?

This thread is mainly discussing short stories, where you usually submit each story to one place at a time... but you have a lot of stories. This is directly to editors.

For novels and agents, it's different. You usually query several agents at once with the same story.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody's information might be a little old. It's usually always okay to submit to one or more agents at once for the same novel, but not to multiple agents at the same company. You might never live to see your novel published if you waited for a single agent to respond before you try another.

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Got my UFO rejection :)

(A note though, a pet peeve of mine is when people change my name. I did spell my name correctly! no need to edit it.)

I'm waiting on a few rejects, heck, I'm just happy I'm getting back into a rhythm of sending things out there into the world.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
If you don't mind me asking, what's their upper tier sound like?

Here's what I received this time. It's more complimentary and positive than what I received from them in two prior Rs, though it's also possible that they simply changed their base R since then.

"While I enjoyed aspects of this tale, we are going to pass on this particular effort.

I hope we shall see something more from you in the future."

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I received this time. It's more complimentary and positive than what I received from them in two prior Rs, though it's also possible that they simply changed their base R since then.

"While I enjoyed aspects of this tale, we are going to pass on this particular effort.

I've only submitted to them once, back in October, and I got the same exact R, with the "hope to see something more" addendum. At least, I like to think it's a higher-tier form, based on others I've heard of.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got my UFO rejection :)

(A note though, a pet peeve of mine is when people change my name. I did spell my name correctly! no need to edit it.)

I'm waiting on a few rejects, heck, I'm just happy I'm getting back into a rhythm of sending things out there into the world.

Very sorry about that. I "read" a blank space where there wasn't any. FWIW I know how frustrating that is, given my last name :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score

I've received both your quoted form and the following:

"Unfortunately, we have decided not to accept your story... for publication.

I hope you will keep LORE in mind for future submissions."

The above form R was sent to me by Sean, and Rod was the one that sent the nicer sounding form from your quote. So now I'm wondering if there a chance both editors use different forms. I hope not, because I got the nicer form for a story I really love, and the more business tone form for a story that's kind of meh.

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Alex- no real worries. It's a weird spelling (and there are parenthesis around it on the birth certificate, so I sense a problem since I came from the womb with my name).

The best was when my pseudo was combined with my real name, and both were spelled wrong.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Received an R from UFO that didn't come from Alex... What is the world coming to?!?! :eek:

(Just kidding, but it was odd.)

Oh cool, I've gotten that R too! It's been a while since I've subbed to them, but I recall that my first R from them (back in Oct. of last year) was that.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Clarkesworld and FFO. Sent the CW story out to Apex, but I'm not sure about where to send the one Flash Fiction Online rejected. Time to look for a good flash fiction market.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Was Rod the one that sent you that form? I have a theory the two editors are using different standard forms.
Unfortunately, I no longer have the email. But to the best of my memory, I recall a woman's name at the bottom. Perhaps a former editor?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Received an R from UFO that didn't come from Alex... What is the world coming to?!?! :eek:

(Just kidding, but it was odd.)

Hah! About 15% of the slush is read by associate editors (to keep me sane. Well, less insane, anyway.)

Something I learned from reading submissions at UFO: the heaviest incoming traffic is on Mondays. Not sure why that is, or how useful that information is for markets that don't respond on the same day, but an interesting bit of statistics.

At UFO at least, a Monday submission is slightly more likely to be read by someone other than me, because I need a little extra help handling the volume. According to my spreadsheet I responded to 10 submissions today and Cyd responded to 3 more. I still have 3 more subs unread that came in today and will try to get to them by tonight if possible.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Nice higher tier rejection from Lightspeed.
Thanks for submitting "Gently Into the Morning," but I'm going to pass on it. It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it, but overall it didn't quite win me over, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way. I look forward to seeing your next submission.
Wish it had been an acceptance or a re-write request, but at least it gives me hope for this story at other pro markets.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice higher tier rejection from Lightspeed.
Thanks for submitting "Gently Into the Morning," but I'm going to pass on it. It's nicely written and I enjoyed reading it, but overall it didn't quite win me over, I'm afraid. Best of luck to you placing this one elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it my way. I look forward to seeing your next submission.
Wish it had been an acceptance or a re-write request, but at least it gives me hope for this story at other pro markets.

Nice! Higher-tier R's from Lightspeed are worth celebrating :)