Where are chapter titles okay?

Jonathan.Bentz

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that chapter titles are often used in epic fantasy novels, and I was once told that using chapter titles in any novel aimed towards adults was not the best idea. Is epic fantasy the only genre in which chapter titles are alright in adult-oriented novels? Or is science fiction, particularly space opera, likewise an option for such a tactic?

I'm asking this because I am currently reading "Wheel of Time" again from the beginning, and I noticed that there are aspects of how Robert Jordan set up his chapters in the early books, at least, to almost be self-contained adventures of their own while contributing to the main plot of the novel, which is something I aspire to with my space opera project. Right now I tend to use chapter titles as simply a way of directing my thoughts for that chapter, but I don't want to submit a novel with chapter titles if that is unacceptable as far as agents/publishers are concerned.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I've noticed that chapter titles are often used in epic fantasy novels, and I was once told that using chapter titles in any novel aimed towards adults was not the best idea.

???

I write hot romantic fantasy. If any sub-genre is aimed towards adults, that is! And I've never heard any complaints about chapter titles, which I've used in every book.

Even if there was such a problem, it's a quick fix. I can't see an agent thinking, "This is such an entertaining, well-written, marketable book... shame about the chapter titles, though. Reject!"

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Nothing wrong with chapter titles. Decide on a style and stick to it, so the reader (if they notice 'em at all) gets a consistent expectation... even if that's to be misled in their expectations.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to use chapter titles, use them. I've read many adult novels that use chapter titles. If your agent or publisher doesn't like it, they'll tell you to remove them. Problem solved.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Where are chapter titles okay?

Umm, at the beginnings of chapters?

Well, someone had to.

Put the chapter titles in if you want. Leave them out if you want. They're not deal-breakers. Personally I rarely notice them at all.

airship wreck

Ignoring plot carp
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually heard that chapter titles are becoming more desirable, since they allow for simpler navigation in ebook versions of your novel.

I've also known people to say that chapter titles are undesirable in adult novels, but I've never heard it from an agent or published author. I think, like prologues, they're one of those things that writers often use poorly, so there's some stigma against them in certain circles. If you like the way your chapter titles look in the final draft, leave them in.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
I like chapter titles. They're easier to remember than numbers. Go for it if you wanna.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere you want to use them. Many novels use chapter titles, many do not. As a reader, I'm not bothered by either approach. If chapter titles are used, just make sure they are meaningful, like you should any other part of your narrative. Many popular TV series, like Dexter, Breaking Bad, House of Cards, etc., use episode titles, which alway strike me as the TV equivalent of chapter titles in a novel.

Now, go write yer dam story. That's what's important.

caw

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
It won't be the make or break factor for agents or publishers. If they're really that opposed to chapter titles, they'll just tell you to take them out during one of the revisions.

Zilge

Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to worry about the chapter titles. If you have a great story in your hands, that's all it matters. IMO. :)

Jonathan.Bentz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Blacbird, your reply resonates most with me primarily because, at least with my science fiction works, I tend to see each chapter as an 'episode' of the overall story, with it's own little plot that moves the story forward.

As for how I would do chapter titles with my science fiction, I'll give an example from my space opera project. The opening chapter is about the subversion of a character close to the family that is central to many of the stories I have for the space opera, so I would call it something like "The Price of Loyalty".

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I suppose the more interesting question is ... when are chapter titles not okay?

I generally don't mind them, except when they are over-fussy or act as spoilers for the chapter they are describing.

Over-fussy? Well, that's when the author is trying too hard and uses chapter titles as mini phrase-poems or puns. Ian Fleming comes to mind, with chapter titles like "Nothing propinks like propinquity". And while I try to tell myself that it's adding a bit of personality and period colour ... nah, I still don't like it.