What genre?

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
I am working on a story with an industrial age setting. There are steam engines, trains, telegraphs, and people have six shooters and breech loading rifles. The setting also has magic, swords, demons, and monsters. The storyline is essentially heroic fantasy. There are a group of characters trying to fight the forces of evil.

Is there any problem labeling this as heroic fantasy? It is definitely not steam punk except for elements of the setting. The story focuses on magic rather than on technology.

Last edited:

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Just call it Fantasy.

It sounds like it's a historic era to me, but when all else fails, just go with the lowest common denominator.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Possibly not--didn't realise it was secondary world :). Fantasy should cover it, anyway.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just call it fantasy. Your query will make it clear what kind of book it is.

I think people get entirely too focused on sub-genres. If it doesn't clearly fit in a sub-genre, don't worry about it. Let your publisher figure that out. Now, if you're self-publishing, then you might have to determine the sub-genre yourself.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've heard the term gunpowder fantasy used for settings that are roughly 18th and 19th century when firearms figure prominently and they don't have that steampunk vibe.

I've heard gaslight fantasy used for quasi-Victorian settings that also don't feel like steampunk.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I've said words to this effect previously on the AW forum, but I'll happily repeat them here:
I love discussing SFF subgenres, but that is something that should be reserved for finished works. The SFF subgenres are consumer information, not writing templates.

Unless you want to write the definitive work in [insert subgenre] you don't really need to worry about that at all before you reach the query stage. My personal tip is: Write the story, then do the research to find out what subgenre it is most likely to be put into (most SFF subgenres have fluid borders, and some overlap extensively), and find an agent that represents that. And bear in mind that many agents will not have a list of SFF subgenres they do represent, just what they don't, for example "no Paranormal Romance", or "no Alternate History".

Also; Good luck. :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
"gunpowder fantasy" - I like that term. Thanks for that.

All the cool kids are writing flintlock fantasy atm (Wexler, McClellan). Take a look see if you think it might fit. Though yours sounds somewhat more mordern. Hmmm.

If so, I'd stick with fantasy and show the rest in the body of the query