College Party: Northeast: late 80's- mid 90's

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Having been to college, I know that a party can happen at almost any time. So 'when' isn't an issue. I also know that sometimes parties can have named themes (beach, masquerade, toga) and that's not exactly the question, but I am looking for the name of a specific kind of party.

These parties had a name to them. You had to learn that if the party had this designation... that it might not be the sort of party you wished to attend, or it might be exactly the sort you wanted to attend.

This 'specifically named' party was both public in that you didn't need an invitation. It behaved like a normal sort of public party until after midnight... and if you were in the know... it was possible to attend this party early and then leave before party-goer behavior changed, and it was this change in party behavior that everyone knew - because the party had this specific given name.

Some time in the evening the party would shift from being a normal sort of 'lights-on' social mixer... into something far more 'adult' in nature.

Although some 'adult behavior' (read: sex) parties and had very specific names like the 'key' party, or the 'play' party... the word I'm looking for specifically described a public social mixer that everyone knew would shift into a dimly lit orgy.

These parties had a name, or maybe a nickname, or street name... but a specific word was used. You knew what kind of party it would turn into when people said it, or perhaps you didn't know and accidentally found out.

Although it's tempting to say 'normal' that's not the word I'm looking for! This was a specific name used in the northeast and New England during the mid eighties and probably well into the 90's.

Anyone?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand a nuts and bolts party, a hostess usually hands out both nuts and bolts to guests and has them try to find the match through the evening...

but maybe not?