"Ethnic" Category Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeeMee2000

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, All!

I see some lit agents list "ethnic" as a category of fiction they are willing to consider. What exactly does this mean/include? Of course I know that ethnicity usually refers to a culture but I want to make sure I'm applying it right. For instance, would a Terry McMillian (Waiting to Exhale, How Stella Got Her Groove) novel fit? Or, better yet, would my soapy contemporary novel about a family of black Creoles fit the ethnic category? (I hope so because it opens the field up to more lit agents.)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Since no one else has replied, I'm gonna say yes. Worst thing that happens is you guess wrong and get a quick rejection. Of course, make sure they like soapy contemporary before you submit. You could also look at the books and clients listed for each. Might be one of those terms that means something diferent to everyone. Good luck anyway.

vip_editing

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the 'ethnic' usually means books by like Terry McMillan, Carl Weber, Eric Jerome Dickey, etc. This is the genre I write in so i'm very familiar with it

MeeMee2000

Registered
Reaction score
I had almost given up on getting an answer here. Thanks for the replies! :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
These threads get buried sometimes. If ya dont get an answer, bump it, or put one of these :popcorn: and someone will usually find it in recent posts

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. When I see "Ethnic" as a book category I think books about Black people.

Status
Not open for further replies.