The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
^I have to say, last year Aurealis published one of the finest short stories I've ever read. "Love Over Glass, Skin Under Glass" by Penny Stirling. Issue 64, September 2013.

It's just outstandingly good.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Aislinn. I signed up. When is your Aurealis story due out?

Hehe, I don't have one coming out with them. I haven't subbed to Aurealis for a while, but maybe I should take this as a prediction and send them something ;)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Hehe, I don't have one coming out with them. I haven't subbed to Aurealis for a while, but maybe I should take this as a prediction and send them something ;)

Yes, you should!

They've rejected a number of my stories, but I found the reader feedback interesting each time. They only publish excellent stories, so this is a very good subscription offer.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com

You must. I was sure you were forthcoming there! And tell them you're local. :) Get on it so your story will be included in my subscription. No pressure.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Just a note that Mammoth Book of Dieselpunk submissions are due by August 1.

2000-20,000 words, 5c/8c a word for original stories and 3c for reprints. They're looking for recommendations for reprints as well (in case you know of a story someone else wrote which you want to see in the anthology), which you can submit at this google doc.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Wow - just subbed to the F&SF C.C.Finlay call, and half-way into the reading window, my sub is already numbered at over 400 in the queue!

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Folks in the 'Science Fiction/Fantasy' subforum are reporting that the C.C. Finlay F&SF special issue has at least 777 submissions (since that was someone's position in the queue when they submitted a couple hours before the deadline).

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
On Aurealis, I've had some hugely helpful feedback from there, and also some really weird feedback. On F&SF, I'm at 216 in the queue, so I'll be getting my rejection early on ;)

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Eldritch Press is taking submissions for works in the genre of 'steampunk horror.' They're looking for works of up to 20,000 words. Deadline is 'until filled.'

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
Hello hello, oh beautiful people of W1S1. I'm Cernex, and I'm kind of a n00b around here. Nice to meet ya' all.

Anyways, I have a question. Acidic Fiction (http://acidicfiction.com/) is taking contemporary speculative fiction submissions right now, and it pays. The rights it asks for seem pretty fair compared to some others.

However, I had never heard of them before. Has anybody dealt with them, or know anything about them?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Cernex. Acidic Fiction is very new so it's unlikely anyone here has dealt with them as of yet. A quick glance at the guidelines didn't unduly set off an alarm for me, other than the low pay. Their aggressive publication schedule (3 stories a week) plus low pay suggests it might be a relatively easy-to-get-into market which will also mean it won't be a significant credit on your writing resume. This is all speculation, of course.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Plan B Magazine are trying to crowdsource going pro: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan-b-magazine-year-three

Exciting for anyone who writes mystery/crime stories.

Definitely. Plan B is an outstanding mystery-suspense market: four anthologies in the past year, posts stories on the site free-to-read, yet pays writers. And now wants to increase that pay via the fundraising effort.

Hope folks here will get a chance to check it out.

Best wishes,
Peter DiChellis

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Crossed Genres just tweeted that they got a lot of submissions for the Destruction issue, and they'll be sending out notifications soon.