Fantasy set in Japan or a Japan-inspired World?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title says. To help me better describe the visuals of traditonal Japanese clothing, architecture, mythological creatures ect.. that often appear in my settings, I am looking for fantasy titles(emphasis on fantasy) that are set either directly in Japan or a heavily Japan-inspired non-earth world(to the point of directly porting traditional Japanese cultural elements such as clothing, building aesthetics, language ect..). It dosen't need to be adult fantasy, either. While adult fantasy set in Japan would be awesome, I am more then willing to look at YA and will even consider MG titles, as well.

I would prefer titles set in eras where things like Samurai where still actually in play, however, I am fine with any era, including urban fantasy set in modern day(or close to it) Japan and even science-fantasy set in future Japan. However, if its science fantasy or modern fantasy I'd like the mythological/supernatural/magical elements to be prominent enough where I'd still get some nice descriptions of Youkai dressed in more old fashion attire, or similar things that would help me write better flowing descriptions of such things myself.

I am NOT, however, looking for animes, mangas, light novels, comic books, graphic novels, movies, tv series, videogames, tabletop games/RPGs, trading card games or anything that is even remotely related to a franchise, fandom or series that started as one of the things I just listed. I want these suggestions to be strictly, 100% prose novels. Likewise, I am also not looking for any books that appropriate Japanese culture and/or language, or otherwise grossly misrepresent Japanese culture. Finally, while I'll take recommendations of titles out of Japan, I would HIGHLY prefer some titles that where released strictly for english-speaking markets, or where at least released in english speaking markets first. This is mainly because books released for a Japanese audience would be written in a way that assumes the reader would be familiar with the Japanese cultural elements, while I am specifically looking to get ideas of how to describe these things in a way that an unfamiliar person would not get turned off by.

Anyway, if anybody knows any good fantasy set in Japan or a Japan-inspired world, please share them here!

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
The vast majority of books for English-speaking audiences would probably fall under the appropriation category which you say you don't want. Jay Kristoff's Stormdancer, for example.

You might try the Tales of the Otori novels by Laim Hearn, which are for the most part fairly respectful of Japanese traditions.

There's just not a lot of material that fits your specifications.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you might be better off studying actual Japanese history, clothing, architecture, and mythology. I mean if you want to learn about these things, why read about them through the filter of a made-up world where you cant really distinguish between genuine Japanese concepts and the author's imagination?

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Kobo Abe was a Japanese writer who did a lot of contemporary fantasy - almost more magical realism, really. But a lot of his stuff was translated into English and it's extraordinary.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You're really going to want to look for Japanese authors. You're not going to find too much of what you're looking for in Western novels.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Read Lafcadio Hearn. He was an American emigré to Japan, who produced a long series of adapted/translated tales of fantasy derived from Japanese literature and oral tradition, more than a century ago. Quite readable, and lamentably difficult to find today. The Tuttle Publication company has produced numerous volumes of his work which are excellent.

More recently, there is Kobo Abe, a great 20th century novelist, most famed for his Kafkaesque fantasy The Woman in the Dunes, and rumored to be a major Nobel Prize candidate, until his unexpected early death at age 58. Just plain a great writer.

caw

writer_mccall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writermccall.weebly.com
I'm planning something like this as well, best thing is to study and read up on Japanese history. Most of what Western culture shows about 'traditional' Japanese historical periods is very flawed, samurai especially.

I'm currently reading George Sansom's book A History of Japan 1334-1615 as I want to focus my setting to be based on the Sengoku period (with some inspiration from other periods as well of course)

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for fantasy titles(emphasis on fantasy) that are set either directly in Japan or a heavily Japan-inspired non-earth world(to the point of directly porting traditional Japanese cultural elements such as clothing, building aesthetics, language ect..).

Try Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori, which spans five novels, starting with Across the Nightingale Floor. (These are beautifully written, I might add.) She has also written a historical novel called Blossoms and Shadows, and her most recent book is The Storyteller and His Three Daughters.

Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts co-wrote a fantasy trilogy set in a feudal Japan-like world. Daughter of the Empire is the first volume.

Fuyima Ono writes The Twelve Kingdoms novels. I haven't personally read any of these.

And it's not fantasy, but James Clavell's Shogun is a classic if you want a detailed look at the samurai culture of 17th century Japan.

Last edited:

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I know you don't want manga but a lot of manga that is sent here to the USA has some great explanations of Japanese culture in the back pages. The English publishers (I'm thinking Del Rey and Dark Horse) do a good job of explaining Japanese culture, food, and clothing to the non-Japanese audience.

Also, Google is your friend and the Otori series is a really good read. I should find it again. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ten Million Gods by Wen Spencer deals heavily with Japanese culture, setting and mythology. (Ignore the cover--it's a stupid cover. The book's 1000% better than its cartoony cover)

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Arg! I have a book but it's in storage right now! I haven't read it yet, but if I recall the back blurb correctly it had the MC using magic with origami.

Singularly unhelpful I know!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I would also recommend Kristoff's Stormdancer, and Kij Johnson's novels, but given the oddly strict limitation you've placed on what sort of things we're allowed to recommend, I'm not sure anything will quite fit in that narrow box.

Certainly, given what a significant body of work (in terms of both volume and cultural importance) is represented by manga alone, I would gently suggest that ignoring all material outside novels is, necessarily, reducing your potential to gain any useful, comprehensive understanding of Japan and its culture from an internal perspective to almost zero. Perhaps it would help if you could explain the functional reason why you would impose such narrow and opaque proscriptions while soliciting our input.

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
I haven't read it, but I believe The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson fits your specifications. As the title suggests, it's about kitsune. The author is American and the setting is feudal Japan.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Haruki Murakami writes amazing spec fiction set (or starting) in Japan. The translations are superb. Lots of moments of fond description of places and domestic rituals.

Musashi is an interesting historical novel detailing samurai culture.

I would, however, second the suggestion that you read non-fiction since it sounds like you don't want anything that "spins off" of Japanese culture, which may be difficult to discern when reading speculative fiction.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Mainly because I've already been doing a lot of the research you mentioned I should do. I am not looking for books to educate myself on Japanese culture. That is what hard research is for, and hard research on this stuff is something I really enjoy doing, have done in the past, and will continue to do in the future. The reason for the limitations is that I am looking for such books not for research purposes, but instructional ones. It's not the cultural information I need help with, what I am seeking aid with doing is learning how to deliver the cultural information I know and will continue to gain through extended research in a way western, novel-reading audiences will be open to. I, as of now, have a strong desire to have my readers KNOW that my characters are in traditional Japanese clothing, for example. I want them to know they are wearing a traditional Japanese obi, not a more western belt, when I describe them.

However, throwing around all kinds of Japanese terms without a proper glossary I fear could lose a lot of readers unfamiliar with said terms, so I am looking for examples of books that are targeted towards a western audience assumed unfamiliar with Japanese culture and language to see how they describe all these things without doing what I do and going into a massive, narrative choaking wall of descriptive text and/or throwing around a bunch of Japanese terms that may lose readers. Thats why has to be a novel.

Visual mediums don't need to describe their traditional Japanese clothing, arcthecture ect.. in words...they have pictures to do the heavy lifting. This is also the reason why the book has to be targeted to western audiences, if a book was published for a native Japanese audience, they would automatically know the cultural elements involved and thus the descriptions would be written assuming they already know about these things. I am specifically looking for how to do said descriptions for an audience that doesn't automatically know them. If the Japanese works that are translated into English however are translated in a way that has them aimed at an audience that is not familiar with the cultural elements then I am willing to look at them for this, which is why I have not ruled out Japanese works entirely.

So I am not looking for these books in the name of cultural research. cultural research is something done independent of this. I am looking for books that will help me better understand how to describe the cultural elements I research to an audience that lacks any understanding of them in a way that dosen't kill the flow of the narrative or lose said audience.

Hope that cleared up why I have the restrictions I do.

However, as far as reading for PLEASURE goes, I am open to EVERYTHING. Japanese, english, manga, anime, comic book. ANYTHING. The point of this thread isn't to find books to read for pleasure...it's to find books that will help me understand how to do something craft-wise I am having an issue grasping right now..

Last edited:

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
An Asian inspired work which I never pass up the opportunity to recommend is S D Tower's The Assassins of Tamurin. It might be helpful.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're just looking for a way to write about these unfamiliar things, I suggest practice and a lot of feed back from your target audience. Also, don't assume your audience is stupid, Japanese culture has become a big part of our western one, thanks to the influx of anime and manga. Also, also, don't be afraid of having a glossary in your book. It never hurts and I've found them helpful in both fantasy and science fiction novels.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'd think actually books that are originally Japanese and translated into English would be a good resource because the translators would have to figure out what to alter for them to make sense to an English-speaking audience.

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Try Black Mist: And Other Japanese Futures, an anthology edited by Orson Scott Card and Keith Ferrell (Daw Books), with stories by Richard Lupoff (title story), Pat Cadigan, Janeen Webb & Jack Dann, Patric Helmaan, and (disclaimer) me.