What defines epic fantasy?

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
As the title asks. I know that epic fantasy is defined by large scale plots with world-changing ramifications however what I am not sure about is how centeral having a single, non- earth world is to the epic fantasy label? Could you, for example, have a fantasy story focused on multiple worlds existing as part of a multi- planar societ(ies) that had all the other elements of epic fantasy and stil give it the label? Likewise, could a fantasy story with all the other elements of epic fantasy that hapens to be set on earth during the past(but with real magic, monsters ect...)...such as in Ancient Greece or Feudal Japan still get the label?

Clarification on this would be great!

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Yes, you absolutely can do what you describe.

The main core of EPIC is simply big. Big set of characters, big events which change whole cultures and countries, big themes, big often-intertwining plots.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
As the title asks. I know that epic fantasy is defined by large scale plots with world-changing ramifications however what I am not sure about is how centeral having a single, non- earth world is to the epic fantasy label? Could you, for example, have a fantasy story focused on multiple worlds existing as part of a multi- planar societ(ies) that had all the other elements of epic fantasy and stil give it the label?

You've not read Fiest's Magician series?
Multiple worlds is done in other more modern series too (Mirror Empure came out this week which involves more than one world)

So , er, yes. Epic fantasy is not restricted to one world. It is the stakes (world (s) changing) and/or scope that make it epic, not the number of worlds

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
You've not read Fiest's Magician series?
Multiple worlds is done in other more modern series too (Mirror Empure came out this week which involves more than one world)

So , er, yes. Epic fantasy is not restricted to one world. It is the stakes (world (s) changing) and/or scope that make it epic, not the number of worlds

The classic Epic fantasies (say the Iliad, various sacred texts and Tolkien) have a central world and then some hints of other worlds or realms (eg. Heaven and Hell or Ethiopia in the Iliad). I think the focus on one world (or at least one world at a time) helps the Epic scale and pace. It's hard to maintain the basic steadiness that underlies an Epic if the viewpoints and locations and characters accumulate as a shifting montage rather than a sprawling saga.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've heard epic fantasy defined as anything where the stakes and scale of the central conflict is at a national, or even worldwide level. So yes, I think you can have epics set in our world too.

However, I think fantasy set in secondary worlds tends to get more benefit of the doubt in cases that are somewhat borderline. A story with in-between stakes that's set in a secondary world is often called epic, and there's often an expectation that the stakes will grow as a series progresses in that setting, where in an UF or contemporary, or even historic setting, not so much.

That might be down to perceived realism. It's easier to imagine a magical conflict becoming a world-changing epic when it takes place in a made up world, perhaps, that when it takes place in our own world (where magic is often hidden from the mundane masses and the central conflict only involves the people who are "in the know" about magic).

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Multiple worlds wouldn't be a problem at all for me. It's still epic fantasy.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Then what makes it a high fantasy?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Then what makes it a high fantasy?

Here's how I've come to understand it (though I could be wrong).

Epic fantasy is more about the scale of the plot. You usually have world-changing stakes and a lot of characters and groups involved in the plot.

High vs. Low fantasy is more about the extent of the fantasy elements. In High Fantasy, you'll have lots of magic and possibly other sentient races. In Low Fantasy, you'll have a world that could almost be historical rather than fantasy.

For example, A Game of Thrones is epic fantasy and trends toward low fantasy. It becomes more high fantasy as the series goes on, though.

I would characterize Lord of the Rings as both epic and high fantasy. World-changing stakes. Lots of magic. Different sentient races.

Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora trends toward low fantasy and is not epic fantasy, as the story is very personal. There is some magic, but not a ton of it.

I'd say Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind is high fantasy, but not epic fantasy. Once again, the story is more personal than anything. It's about Kvothe, not about world-changing stakes. But there is a fair amount of magic and other fantasy elements.

WornTraveler

Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me a multi-plane conflict is definitely even more epic than your usual save-the-world conflict, so yeah, I'd say go for it.

Epic Fantasy (to me at least) seems to be defined by a sort of "All Middle Earth is going down the crapper if we don't act now" conflict. So "multiple worlds are going down the crapper" in anything expands on that idea. :)

Now, if it's closer to "one little town in this parallel universe may be significantly damaged and thoroughly inconvenienced if we don't act now", I suppose that's a different sort of story.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Now, if it's closer to "one little town in this parallel universe may be significantly damaged and thoroughly inconvenienced if we don't act now", I suppose that's a different sort of story.

Yes, or even 18 million little towns in 6 million parallel universes would tend to render the epic scale slightly absurd.