Is there such a thing as upmarket children's books?

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently completed a middle-grade fantasy. I wrote it because the story I had in my head would only fit this genre and age group. Prior to this, the only children's books I had ever read were the Harry Potter books.

I am the first to admit that I know very little about what is out there in terms of middle-grade fiction.

When I go through the manuscript now, it almost feels upmarket to me, though I am not sure how to describe what that means.

Perhaps, if I should take a YA example, it would be the difference between 'Twilight' and 'The Fault in Our Stars'.

My question is, is there such a thing as upmarket children's books, and if yes, what are some examples?

Thanks!

ColoradoKate

Registered
Reaction score
How about Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, or Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane?

Or just look at a list of Newbery winners; they're often deeper and more literary than, say, the Captain Underpants books. They have more emphasis on theme and language, but they're (usually) still accessible and popular with readers, which I think might make them "upmarket."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea at all what "upmarket" means in this context, but there are certainly books for children of every age that have deep meaning, that deal with today's issues, and that are often written in a highly literary manner.

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
By upmarket do you mean more literary in style and words choice?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The children's markets contain every form of book adult markets do, except where adult material defines the market. So mystery and SF, sure. Erotica, no.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely - OP, best place to start would probably be by asking a librarian or a book-seller.

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys - yes by upmarket I meant literary, but contemporary literary as opposed to classic literary (such as The Secret Garden).

I suppose I was just curious to know for when I start querying. Should I simply say my manuscript is a middle grade fantasy, or a literary middle grade fantasy? Somehow the phrase sounds odd.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys - yes by upmarket I meant literary, but contemporary literary as opposed to classic literary (such as The Secret Garden).

I suppose I was just curious to know for when I start querying. Should I simply say my manuscript is a middle grade fantasy, or a literary middle grade fantasy? Somehow the phrase sounds odd.

FWIW I think "middle grade fantasy" would have a broader market than "literary middle grade fantasy" (is it middle-grade? or middle grade? Help!) and you want to be able to market as broadly as possible. Literary only refers to the style - so let the marketing people or the publishers sort that one out. Sub it to anyone who does middle-grade fantasy and see what happens.

Good luck with it :)

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW I think "middle grade fantasy" would have a broader market than "literary middle grade fantasy" (is it middle-grade? or middle grade? Help!) and you want to be able to market as broadly as possible. Literary only refers to the style - so let the marketing people or the publishers sort that one out. Sub it to anyone who does middle-grade fantasy and see what happens.

Good luck with it :)

Thanks! I spell 'middle grade' whichever way the agent I am submitted to spells it, but it's usually without the dash. In fact, I can't recall an agent that spells it with a dash.
http://absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's a hyphen, not a dash, and I'd use it.

I can't help myself.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Because it's correct to use it, in my view: and having spent so many years (decades!) working as an editor for major publishers, I cannot bring myself to omit hyphens which really should be included.

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
Because it's correct to use it, in my view: and having spent so many years (decades!) working as an editor for major publishers, I cannot bring myself to omit hyphens which really should be included.

strange, as I can't find one instance out there where it's spelt with a hyphen. I did a search and all I could find was 'mid-grade'.

Could it be that I'm looking at British English instances?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
strange, as I can't find one instance out there where it's spelt with a hyphen. I did a search and all I could find was 'mid-grade'.

Could it be that I'm looking at British English instances?

No, because it's a US term. People in the UK will use it, but only because it came from the US. Our school years aren't called grades, so middle grade is meaningless without that US context.

I assume the hyphen is because it's a two word modifier. So a child might be in a middle grade. But the books are middle-grade books. It's not common to add the hyphen though, so it's one of those times where you could argue either way. Just be consistent and don't use both in the same letter.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The book category doesn't refer to students in the middle school grades though.

I just learned it predates the middle school construction and referred to the grades between primary (k-2) and secondary (7-12). Those were the middle grades.