The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

heza

Registered
Reaction score
You should so go it a go. Or we could do our own mini-NaNo and write 5000 words in one weekend.

I could do a mini-NaNo. I don't think we've got a very busy schedule this coming weekend.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I could do a mini-NaNo. I don't think we've got a very busy schedule this coming weekend.

I tried to sign-up for NaNo thrice this week. Each time I got kicked off. NaNo doesn't want me!

Heza, if you decide to go for it, let me know. Maybe it'll give me the encouragement to try to sign-up...again.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to sign-up for NaNo thrice this week. Each time I got kicked off. NaNo doesn't want me!

Heza, if you decide to go for it, let me know. Maybe it'll give me the encouragement to try to sign-up...again.

I've gone ahead and created a novel for it. *shrug* This is going to be a contemporary YA—a pretty big departure from my normal stuff—but it sounds fun to me.

I'm still heza over there. Let me know your screen name (when you get one), and I'll add you as a buddy.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Who's doing mini-NaNo with me this weekend... Jed? It was your idea, lol.

5,000 words over the weekend. That's 2,500 a day—just a measly 625 if you break it into four, 1-hr sessions (I write about 800/hr).

I'll be doing it if anyone wants to join me. Since I signed up for NaNo, proper, I need to have a push to catch up, anyway.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'll try. No promises... it's hubby's birthday weekend, and he's in a play, and daughter is coming home from college for the weekend, and I'm getting a new very high need student on Monday, and... and... and...

But I need to try. I fell way behind this week, and 5000 words would really boost my spirits.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I hate coming up with good ideas that I have to participate in. But, yep, go on, I'll join in. 5000 words this weekend.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
The fourth time is the charm. Heza - I added you as a buddy. I'm lauriemckay over there. Jed - let me know your username and I'll add you also!

I'm currently at 0 words. This week was one that killed my momentum so I hope Nanowrimo will help me get back to it.

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
I'm so impressed with all of you. Go go go!

I am definitely not NaNoWriMo-ing, or even NaNoWriWeekend-ing, though I am working on a few new things, which is fun. I'm also querying, which is decidedly NOT fun. I'm taking lots of breaks to give myself time to evaluate things and also to preserve my sanity. I did recently get accepted to be a blogger over at From the Mixed-Up Files...Of Middle Grade Authors, so that's exciting. If you haven't seen that site, I recommend it. They have some great content. It's www.fromthemixedupfiles.com.

Happy writing, all!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
My attempt at an epistolic MG tanked and died. Apparently e-mail is FAR to archaic for the kids of today and no self respecting 13 yr old would resort to anything so medieval as e-mail.

Also my dear lovebird Igor died. He was the best little parrot and friend. At least he was for me! He was super bity and hated being touched! LOL! But he was my perfect match as a pet.

So I haven't written anything in a week... But I think I might start on another MG idea soonish.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your bird, CheG.
I'll bet you could still do an epistolic novel. Maybe he tweets or posts to tumblr, or uses some new form of social media that you create and establish as the hip, new thing in your fictional world.

My nano name is donne.r. I haven't written anything yet this weekend. But I am starting... NOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Thank you all for the condolences.

I'm not sure I'll pursue the epistolic. I might feel better about it later, but it was also an attempt to write something more marketable, a contemporary MG. The fantasy I'm querying is- according to one agent- yet another fairy book with nothing to make it stand out from other fairy books. Needless to say it's not going well.

So I can't say my heart was really in it either. I really love and want to write MG fantasy but so far I can't seem to come up with anything to separate me from the pack.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
How's it going, Ruth? Making headway? I added you as a buddy. (A Chaos of Gargoyles sounds really cool!)

I added you, too, Laurie! I'm glad you finally got the sign-up to work. I can't believe it was being such a pain.

SuperKate, sounds like you've got enough going on without NaNo! Good luck with all of it.

Oh, Cheg. :Hug2: I'm so sorry about Igor. Poor birdy. I'm sure he was amazing.

How are you doing, Jed? Not getting all 5K this weekend? Maybe we can do another challenge!

I have had a busier weekend than I was promised. On the other hand, we did get almost all of our Christmas shopping done (in November! This has never happened before). But I've set aside the rest of the evening for writing. We'll see what happens!

:banana: So bananas for anyone going into the home stretch tonight! :banana:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So I can't say my heart was really in it either. I really love and want to write MG fantasy but so far I can't seem to come up with anything to separate me from the pack.

I completely understand that. I've been really looking at the plot of my MG under a microscope lately, and every time I think about it, I roll my eyes at another trope or cliche that I just automatically included. There's really only one thing that makes mine different from everything out there, and it's just a bit of window dressing. It's not going to fly the way I've got it laid out right now. :( *hugs*

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Well, come Monday morning, I didn't quite make 5K words. But I did go from 0 to just shy of 4K, so I feel like I accomplished something. I'm going to extend my personal goal to getting to 10K by the end of the coming weekend.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a username. :cry:

What was I thinking? Fearsome dragon mods need no usernames. Rawr.

I'm so impressed with all of you. Go go go!

I am definitely not NaNoWriMo-ing, or even NaNoWriWeekend-ing, though I am working on a few new things, which is fun. I'm also querying, which is decidedly NOT fun. I'm taking lots of breaks to give myself time to evaluate things and also to preserve my sanity. I did recently get accepted to be a blogger over at From the Mixed-Up Files...Of Middle Grade Authors, so that's exciting. If you haven't seen that site, I recommend it. They have some great content. It's www.fromthemixedupfiles.com.

Happy writing, all!

Awesome. It looks like a cool site and don't forget - blogging is writing!

My attempt at an epistolic MG tanked and died. Apparently e-mail is FAR to archaic for the kids of today and no self respecting 13 yr old would resort to anything so medieval as e-mail.

Also my dear lovebird Igor died. He was the best little parrot and friend. At least he was for me! He was super bity and hated being touched! LOL! But he was my perfect match as a pet.

So I haven't written anything in a week... But I think I might start on another MG idea soonish.

Sorry about your lovebird, Che. I haven't written anything this week either. Next week, though, next week I'll write like a mad woman.

I'm sorry about your bird, CheG.
I'll bet you could still do an epistolic novel. Maybe he tweets or posts to tumblr, or uses some new form of social media that you create and establish as the hip, new thing in your fictional world.

My nano name is donne.r. I haven't written anything yet this weekend. But I am starting... NOW.

I will add you as a buddy, too, Ruth :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
How are you doing, Jed? Not getting all 5K this weekend? Maybe we can do another challenge!
Yeah, I didn't do well at all. Writing in general isn't go great at the moment. Too many work and health problems to really concentrate on it. I am really going to try harder to concentrate on something this weekend, though. I dunno, maybe something will stick.
Well, come Monday morning, I didn't quite make 5K words. But I did go from 0 to just shy of 4K, so I feel like I accomplished something. I'm going to extend my personal goal to getting to 10K by the end of the coming weekend.
That is really good going. Congrats. :TheWave:
What was I thinking? Fearsome dragon mods need no usernames. Rawr.
I might sign up one day. In the meantime, I'll stick to AW and Twitter. ;)

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Hey guys...

Sorry I've been away so long, sadly it was for a bad reason. I'm suffering from another bout of severe anxiety depression. I've lost my new job because of it, I'm taking double the antidepressants than I did before, I have dark thoughts/voices in the back of my head constantly taunting and filling me with self loathing, hopelessness and a cold, harrowing emptiness... I blacked out on the morning commute train on Monday and spent the rest of the morning under medical observation. Sometimes I'll just break down, other times I'll sit in silence, unable to move or do anything. I spent five minutes today just standing absolutely still in the shopping centre, screaming at myself inside to move... It's a terrible and scary condition, which I've recently discovered may very well be hereditary, as both my father and children from his second family have it... and I'm continuously daunted by the terrible thought that one day I'll possibly give this curse to my own children. I just hate myself, as I wouldn't wish this one my worst enemy...

So yeah, sorry for cutting you all out by being absent, but I've been greatly encouraged to jump back into writing, which has always been my greatest passion. I'm hoping I haven't lost the touch, as it's very therapeutic. So apologies in advance if I clutter the SYW thread with crap :(

Sorry also if this message was inappropriate, I just needed to get it off my chest as it hurts more to pretend I'm okay when I'm not.

I appreciate each and every one of you, some of whom I've made good friendships with, others who I've not had the pleasure. I admire the vast talent on this forum, and wish you all the best in your creative endeavours and goals.

Sincerely,
Dave

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Dave,
We have not met, but what you just did was HUGE. I too struggle with depression and anxiety and I know how hard it can be to put one foot in front of the other and just do the basic things, let alone do anything even remotely outside of your comfort zone (which becomes so very small when you're in that terrible place). So, I am proud of you for posting. Keep on keeping on!

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Dave,

It sounds like you are going through a lot. I'm glad you shared everything with us. Please know I care and I'm sorry you're going through this. Also, I enjoyed Mr. Stuffenfluff so I'm happy you're posting more on SYW!

Laurie

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
:e2grouphu

^ this is a group hug. My grandmother calls them "huggles."

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time, Dave. But welcome back! We're glad to see you again. And yay! more stuff from you to read (it's never crap).

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Dave, you've been missed. Sorry to hear what you're going through, but you have loads of friends here that care about you and who are always glad to read what you've written.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Jeez Dave. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you can conquer this. You're so young and talented and have so much going for you. Take care of yourself and get the help you need.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
:e2grouphu Dave. I'm so sorry for your struggles. Anxiety is a killer, I can only imagine how horrible it must be coupled with depression. I've always enjoyed your work, so please keep writing!

How's everyone else doing this new year? I found a scorpion in my room on New Year's day (visiting family in Mexico). I don't think that bodes well. On the plus side, we found it before it stung anybody - so that's good, right? Still, I'm glad I live somewhere where I don't have to check my shoes before I put them on.