How do I fix this double entendre?

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so my main child character wears a world war 2 helmet and a running 'cute' moment is that several characters he meets tap it (as you would.

So I've got several of this type of stuff:

"Well done lad" Said Uncle Jeffrey tapping Peter's helmet

Hmm. What should I do? Just get rid of all the instances?

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
If you have made a clear enough reference to the military helmet the reader will realize what you are referring to and there will be no double entendre. Besides, that one is a leap for most people.

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Wow. Ok. I wonder if this is a British thing then?

I think I had someone 'tapping his helmet' affectionately at one point and I couldn't stop laughing. (I'm like 'fnarfnar' even now!).

Interesting. Thank you.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Definitely a leap for me—I didn't "get" it. Please don't feel it necessary to explain it. I was just pointing out that many readers won't notice.
Me too. I don't get it, even looking for some kind of double entendre, I'm unable to come up with anything.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Helmet" was no issue for me, and I only moticed it because you said it was and "Peter" somewhat strenghtened it. But yeah, I wouldn't worry, especially in the context.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not related to what you asked, but I think you need a comma after Well done--"Well done, lad," said Uncle Jeffrey.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I got it because I was looking for it based on the subject, but I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Don't sweat it. See if your betas or editor say something to you, but don't give them a warning about it.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I think I see where you're upset in such that I can suss it out based on what's been said, but it didn't really mean anything to me. If it's an issue in the UK, then I'll trust you on that.

You could add more words to clarify...

"Well done, lad," said Uncle Jeffrey as he rapped his knuckles against the top of Peter's combat helmet.

... or steel helmet or Tin Hat or Turtle helmet or paratrooper helmet or whatever it is.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely only guessed the double entendre because you told us to look for one.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Agreeing with the others, if you hadn't mentioned there was something there, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Maybe it is a British thing, but I've read a fair number of English books, and I don't think most people would have any issue with it.

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice everyone. I feel a but stupid now tbh. Lol.

I'm going to run this by some Brits and see what they say but u won't tell them why.

Worst case scenario I'll take Heza's advice and reword in that manner.

Thanks again! :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Brit and wouldn't have noticed any double entendre if you hadn't commented on it.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
I had to read it twice to get it. I don't know, I'd have to get more context to decide if it was something to worry about fixing. I mean, if the running theme is established then the worst you'd face is maybe a few people who like engaging in juvenile humor. And honestly, while that might be funny a few times, it'd get old pretty fast.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I got it as soon as you said it, if I'm honest. However, the chances are slim that a kid would understand it.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a picture book, the reader will not get it at all. They just don't think that way - too literal.

The MG or YA reader might, but not in the US.