The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Melinda -- Yes, we have to keep a sense of play with this.

Yeah, I used to do recipe contesting and that was definitely part of the fun in the forum I went to. Particularly when big contests like the Pillsbury Bake-Off started calling, we would all try to figure out if they were doing it alphabetically, or by category or if they were done. Good times :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Ever have a moment where you get a rejection for a story and then in the next second remember a market that you wanted to submit something to anyway? I just had that. It's great, like itching a scratch you couldn't reach before.

Anyway, the market is 'The Exile Book of New Canadian Noir.' They take stories up to 8,000 words as long as they are grounded in noir and written by a canuck. I just happen to have a story/fit those requirements, so I sent them something. Fingers crossed!

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Looking through Benedetti's anthology post, I'm liking the sound of the Sword and Sorceress anthology. I'll probably take a crack at that one this month. Anyone ever submitted to that series before?

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Looking through Benedetti's anthology post, I'm liking the sound of the Sword and Sorceress anthology. I'll probably take a crack at that one this month. Anyone ever submitted to that series before?

Every year for the past two :) She's fast at sending rejections back so I've sent the max of two each year. 3 of the four she rejected have found homes other places so I definitely find it productive even if I haven't gotten accepted there.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Every year for the past two :) She's fast at sending rejections back so I've sent the max of two each year. 3 of the four she rejected have found homes other places so I definitely find it productive even if I haven't gotten accepted there.

Melanie--that's good to hear. I especially like that stories submitted there that get rejected can find a home elsewhere. I've noticed a couple of my rejected anthology submissions are a bit esoteric in subject matter, which makes finding them new homes awkward, so I'm glad to hear that S&S isn't like that.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I posted the picture for my flash fiction contest today. It has a ten dollar prize. There is also time to get stories in for my short story contest with a $50 prize paid on publication which is about a week after acceptance.

Photo Flash

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

I subbed there the past two years. First year was a first round R. Second year I got held to the second round. I would try again this year, but I don't have anything appropriate.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Yeah, I used to do recipe contesting and that was definitely part of the fun in the forum I went to. Particularly when big contests like the Pillsbury Bake-Off started calling, we would all try to figure out if they were doing it alphabetically, or by category or if they were done. Good times :)

Fun. Us creative types, we know how to entertain ourselves. :)

Today I've decided it means nothing that my day count on market x is dead between their recent spates of Rs. Any attempt to assign meaning leads straight to the rubber room. I refuse to think about it.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
WDF updates, anyone? I haven't heard anything, but apparently, people are receiving rejections. Been following Cat's Twitter and her blog. She seems to have four "piles" going on (e.g. historical/fairy tale fantasy, steampunk, urban fantasy, and something else that I'm not remembering).

She seems to be working through the pile(s) pretty quickly.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Just heard from Weird Tales on a 140 day submission

Your submission has been read and enjoyed and moved up to the next level. We hope to have a final decision for you within the next two months.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Well got the big No from the chief ed at Nature, after 2 months. Nice enough rejection letter.

Actually pretty happy coz I did want to develop the story into a bigger one. Honestly.

No, really.

;)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Friendly nudge in the direction of the rejectomancy and middling it threads for the last posts. I think this one is meant to be for new market news :) :)

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
140 days waiting on Weird Tales. Only two responses visible on Duotrope, both acceptances. Not nearly the longest wait I've had though.

Did anyone mention The Fog Horn? Big pay if they buy something, but the submission process is kind of dumb.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
140 days waiting on Weird Tales. Only two responses visible on Duotrope, both acceptances. Not nearly the longest wait I've had though.

Did anyone mention The Fog Horn? Big pay if they buy something, but the submission process is kind of dumb.

I was just looking at them earlier today. I thought that pay must have been a mistake or something! I agree, though, the submission process is very strange. Would love to hear more experienced peoples' thoughts on it.

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
CC Finlay has tweeted that he'll be editing two more issues of F&SF in the future, and electronic subs will once again be accepted for them, hooray!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! That's exciting. I couldn't sub last time because the story I wanted to sub was waiting on a final R. Even though it's unlikely I'd get a rejected story accepted by F&SF, I'd love to sub to CC Finlay anyway!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! This is indeed good news! Now to get me writing more stories :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Just noticing there are currently 25 responses from WotF listed on the Grinder for the round that just went out, and only 15 on Duotrope.

Some results (like mine) will be on both, and some won't be reported, but it looks like more people are tracking this market via the Grinder. That's understandable, since the Grinder is both free and effective. I'm wondering if this means that for SF, Fantasy and Horror stories at least, the Grinder is now more popular? If so, eventually it means that it will have better data.

It would be interesting to compare some other spec fic markets on each engine.

EDIT: And for a bit more rejectomancy fun:

We know there were about 100 stories in the final pile that has just had results sent out. Duotrope had 15/100 recorded. The Grinder had about 25/100 recorded.

Last edited:

Kaitlin Brianna

Registered
Reaction score
We know there were about 100 stories in the final pile that has just had results sent out. Duotrope had 15/100 recorded. The Grinder had about 25/100 recorded.

That's great info, I always wonder what percent of entries are reported.

For me, out of the SFF markets I've been watching lately, it seems fairly arbitrary whether Duotrope or the Grinder has more entries. I started using both thinking I would decide which one I like better, but I'm too addicted to rejectomancing to give up either. :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Although there are more users on Duotrope, I think this is because the percentage of successful authors (aka people who are likely to make it past the general slush pile) is much higher on The Grinder.

I don't have access to DT, but I'm guessing that if someone checks, they'll see a higher acceptance rate on the Grinder in cases of most pro SF markets.

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
I'm much the same with the 'mancing. Oooh, all those lovely numbers! I use both, but my sub to DT runs out in a couple of months and I can't really justify renewing it. I guess the Grinder will have to support my addiction all by itself.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Although there are more users on Duotrope, I think this is because the percentage of successful authors (aka people who are likely to make it past the general slush pile) is much higher on The Grinder.
Really? My impression was the exact opposite. I had a personal from Arc at one point and was the only one on Grinder, but there was an acceptance and a few personals on Duotrope. When I was on both I thought that Grinder had more almost there/just getting acceptances types and Duotrope had more further advanced in their career types, but can't give any more concrete reasoning as to why I had that impression.

Fihr - I would've logged on both, but my subscription to Duotrope expired a month or so ago and I haven't been submitting enough to justify renewing my membership right now, so I logged my rejection on Grinder but not Duotrope.