books published in small regions

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As a South African, will it hurt or help my chances at getting my novel published in the US or UK if it has already been published locally by a respectable publisher?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say no, because publishers buy foreign rights all the time: but this is something you need to ask your agent.

If you don't have an agent, how do you propose to find a publisher in a country foreign to you? If it's by querying agents in those territories, then you do need to hold off on signing up to a local sale because your agent will have more to negotiate if all rights to your work remain intact.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say no, because publishers buy foreign rights all the time: but this is something you need to ask your agent.

If you don't have an agent, how do you propose to find a publisher in a country foreign to you? If it's by querying agents in those territories, then you do need to hold off on signing up to a local sale because your agent will have more to negotiate if all rights to your work remain intact.

I'm looking at all my options at the moment. Trying to weigh up losing an agent because they don't have the rights to a small region vs getting them to look at the manuscript knowing that someone, somewhere found this good enough to publish. Would that give it more authority- I don't know.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to weigh up losing an agent because they don't have the rights to a small region...
Depends on the region. In general, books are published with the author granting rights per the contract for publication. Provided you don't sign away rights, you can still market them elsewhere. Agents deal with this all the time.

Of course, do you have a potential publishing deal or are you just worried about something that may never happen?

Jeff