stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
boiled eggs. lots of them.
I made deviled eggs from the four hard boiled eggs we had leftover.

I mix the yolks with a bit of creamy horseradish, a dollop of mayo, a teaspoon or two of hamburger relish, and maybe a bit of ketchup. And yep, I eyeball it instead of measuring.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked with the divorced Mom of four young children who was on a very limited budget. On Saturdays they would have what she called 'skultch'. It was all the leftover bits from the preceding week mixed together and baked in a casserole. If there wasn't any gravy or other soupy type stuff, she would mix in a can of mushroom soup. Her kids loved it.

MM

My Dad used to call things like that Hungarian Goorash. It bore absolutely no resemblance to Hungarian Goulash but usually involved leftover meat and pasta.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
GOAT RIBS!

I'm a little excited about this past week. With the husband on a business trip, I get to indulge and experiment on foods that are off the beaten path that he wouldn't have been so keen on. :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... whole wheat pasta with this mixed in:
- 1 bell pepper (red)
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 lb chicken
- carrots (about a cup, diced)
Topped with basil.
Drink: glass of grape juice :p

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com

Stormie, usually we only eat deviled eggs as party food here, but I had some for lunch and they were yummy.

What's for dinner tonight?

Probably a sparkling water and a bag of cheetos. It's nearing the end of semester and I have a flurry of essays to write, so nutrition is going out the window for now.

Anyhow, if anyone was wondering how my mac and cheese from the other night turned out, you can read about it here.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Goat ribs are good! Some Mexican friends of mine had a party and barbecued goat ribs and they were delicious.

Cooked a pot of curried lentil soup this afternoon.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'm waiting to hear about the goat ribs.

Luxurious! Though, next time, I may give a quick broil afterwards to help with the fat after baking (working/eating around the fat was my one minor quibble). Rubbed them down with roasted garlic, as well as sea salt & ground black pepper after I brushed the mixture of olive oil & unsalted butter on them. But overall, a great first time with that cut of meat. Not gamy at all.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Looks like rice, boiled leaf cabbage and bananas. Trying to eat up stuff before I leave for a few days.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Beef Bourguignon, but I'm not thrilled with it so far. I didn't have cognac that the recipe called for so I made a dash to the Liquor Barn to buy some - but revised plans when the cheapest bottle to be had was $55! Since I only needed 1/4 of a cup it was not deemed cost effective so I substituted brandy.

After browning the meat and adding my booze (plus 2 cups of Merlot) it tastes bitter to me. I don't know if it's the alcohol and it will mellow or if it's burnt flour. I am not chucking out all that meat so I'll give it an hour or so and taste it again. If it's still not great I'll drain it and make more "gravy" separately with wine and broth - leaving out the brandy.

I am taking half to friends whose elderly mother passed away (along with a loaf of home made bread, salad and banana cake) so it better be good.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Moose filet mignon with mixed sprouts and fresh radishes (grown inside our cabin).

Thank god the last meat dinner! Had to eat the last of our frozen stuff for lunch and dinner, each and every day, because it's getting warm out (and our freezer being winter). Looking forward to pasta and rice without moose, moose, moose.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm breaking in a new Weight Watchers cookbook that I bought last week. Lamb Stew with Dates and Almonds and Whole Wheat Couscous.

I'll let you know how it turns out. :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Leftover paella. I made it a couple of nights ago, a big batch, which I do once every few weeks, because it works wonderfully as leftovers, as well as fresh.

Recipe, as I did it initially:

Saffron rice, quantity as desired, depending on how many mouths to feed. Along with a handful of quinoa, all cooked with the quantity of water appropriate to the amount, and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.

Vegetables chopped into bite-sized bits:

Red bell pepper
3 medium tomatillos
a bunch of scallions
A grab-sample of dried green nori seaweed*

about 2/3 pound of uncooked, peeled shrimp
about 1/2 pound of small bay scallops
1.2 pounds of cod fillets, chopped into bite-sized bits.

~3 tablespoons of Goya Sofrito sauce, and about 1 tablespoon of Goya Recaito sauce. These last two things are pretty interchangeable, and wonderful condiments, the Sofrito being red and tomato-based, the Recaito being green and ?tomatillo-based. Both are also based on cilantro, which would work very well fresh, too. But I heartily recommend the Goya products, which are widely available.

Bring to boil on the range top in a big dutch oven-style pot, cover, turn to low, and let cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The seafood cooks perfectly in the mix.

This dish is open to lots of variation in ingredients, and I've done it with chopped chicken, mussels, oysters and a wide variety of vegetable ingredients.

Is much better than my normal everyday roadkill.

caw

*If you've never cooked with seaweeds, you're missing something. These are readily available and not expensive at most Asian groceries. Despite our remote and benighted locale in Alaska, we have a big contingent of Asian residents (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Samoan) and they have supported a vigorous local Asian cuisine in restaurants and groceries.

Seaweeds are abundantly available in coastal regions, wonderfully nutritious and flavorful. In this paella, the stuff cooked much like spinach (which I've also used in this dish), adds a very pleasant natural saltiness that goes really well with the tomatillo. It's even good just to much, straight from the bag, in its dried form. I recommend it to everyone, with leviticous deuteronomy.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Split Pea Soup made from the remnants of the ham