DREAMS/VISIONS/NIGHTMARES CONTEST - Discussion Thread

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Excellent...

Congrats and thanks to all who rallied and riled and rattled every cage going. I don't think I've ever seen the poetry section so hot as the last few weeks. It's become that I don't even care about winning, obviously I'd like to know who won, but it actually feels like I've taken part in something 'mega'. That has been enough of a victory for me. Roll on Friday.

Isn't that funny, I feel the same way. I don't care if I win or not either it was such a cool contest. The anticipation to the end was crazy. Not that I don't like winning things but I'm actually more antsy to see if the ones I voted for won.:)

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score
Me too. It feels exciting like something big!

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the exact same way. It's just been so amazing to watch the enthusiasm and to see poetry get some love. I don't care whether mine wins but I do really hope my picks do well.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Who?

Oh yes... the winner of the February Poetry Contest... yes, yes, a lovely poem! Wonderfully written...

No, no, not a fluke at all, they are really quite accomplished. I've read several of their pieces.

Where? Oh that's easy, over in the Poetry Critique section! I'll bet there's a handful of their poems right on the first few pages...

Well... of course they might not be as painstakingly polished as a contest entry... but still! Very nice work, really good! You should check it out!

*looks around*

Where'd everybody go?

;)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone! As we sit and wait... Let's not forget about Harry's Western Short Story Contest! All of the entries are in and there is are 40 of them...

Voting closes in 15 days. Each short story was limited to 1000 to 1500 words and if you do the math, you will need to read 2-3 stories a day.

I would highly suggest using some kind of rating scale (1-5 or 0-10)
as you read through the stories keeping track of entry number, title and your rating. That should make it a lot easier to narrow down your top three!

The contest entries are here.
Rules for voting are here.
Discussion thread is here.

Let's do our AW best!
to give back the wonderful response that the Poetry contest received!

Thank you!

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
:) Just anxious. One of the entries made me tear up. I'd like to see it win. But I don't think I can be disappointed. They were all so good.

And, I don't even like poetry much.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) Just anxious. One of the entries made me tear up. I'd like to see it win. But I don't think I can be disappointed. They were all so good.

But you care now. That is music to my ears. :D

I am doing a few rechecks of the numbers because the numbers are exceptionally close and we have a couple ties, one for second place, with 4th place a point away from that tie. I just want to make sure that I didn't transpose an "a" and a "b" or a "c", because in this contest one point would make all the difference.

I will be posting the winners in a bit, as soon as I have finished verifying my tally. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
*hits refresh every 5 seconds* <--whoops

*waits patiently*

;)

In all seriousness, take as much time as you need, and don't feel rushed or pressured (which I know you know but I wanted to say it anyway). :Hug2:

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score

This was me. I'm very hopeful my picks win, but I know the competition is very fierce. With as much trouble as I had narrowing the entries down, I think everyone wins :)

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
*pushes moth down*

Screw that! Let's go, already! :D
*brief tussle*

*dust settles*

<-- was muffled and ruffled
(with quickWit she'd scuffled)
she emerges and straightens her wig
that hare would not dare
to hurt pink or green hair
(after all it's right there in his sig).

:D

(Hey, it almost makes sense :tongue )

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
We need a 'gives the raspberry' smiley...not that it would do me much good from here in this locker.

*makes a hand gesture at QW instead*

;)

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
Well, my choices didn't make the top 3.

I was looking for rhyme and meter, because they appeal to my analytical brain. Cudos to Brant for "Toad Man" and JohnL for "Under No Circumstances", along with Perscribo with "Two Dreams (A nightmare)" for your entries that I felt were the best expression of Rhyme and Meter.

Congrats also to the winners.