Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but the idea of a dog wedding creeps me out.

Morning, everybody!

Maryn, sending healing vibes toward Sable

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to get holiday for tomorrow to be here to tend Sable if needs be. But, according to my supervisor, emergency holiday is for emergencies, and this isn't an emergency.....
I'm so sorry. It's hard enough to be dealing with a sick pet without workplace issues. I've been in that boat and it totally sucks. I hope Sable gets better!!

Shveta

Dangling from rainbows
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! Just popping in to say hello. I'll go back and rep in a bit.

It was a pretty quiet and cold weekend here. Yesterday, we visited my mother-in-law's and saw some nieces and nephews, and then I sneaked upstairs to read more of our Kelly's D3adw00d, which I really enjoyed. :D

In regard to querying, I have a question for all of you. Should I be worried that it's mostly been silence in my inbox? I mean, I suppose agents are just busy, but hearing from you experienced people would help me worry less.

Last edited:

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Shveta, thanks for the book love! Agents seem to be getting slower and less-responding all the time! If you use Querytracker, you can tell how far behind each agent is running, and you can sometimes guess whether a non-responder has seen your query or has it in the queue.

Happy birthday, Dragonstar and Blue!!!!!!

Congrats to Red's sister!

Hugs to Kiahanna.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Shveta, I've heard from a couple of my friends querying right now that things are remarkably slow even for this slow industry. It's not just you.

Couldn't resist - I'd already written a blog post today but I had to write another one after all the Richard III news going around. :D I never miss a chance to point out that he wasn't such a bad guy really! Just a victim of Plantagenet-bashing and that era's prejudice against any sort of obvious medical issue.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't resist - I'd already written a blog post today but I had to write another one after all the Richard III news going around. :D I never miss a chance to point out that he wasn't such a bad guy really! Just a victim of Plantagenet-bashing and that era's prejudice against any sort of obvious medical issue.

:Hail:

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the birthday wishes, my friends!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BIRTHDAY TWIN DRAGONSTAR! :partyguy:

(((((Kiahanna))))) I am so sorry that you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you for Sable's recovery. What an insensitive, self-centered supervisor! Obviously someone who doesn't have pets, or like animals.
Today, the good news, the remains found beneath a car park in Leicester are those of Richard III.
The bad news - finding out that if you want publicity from your publisher you have to be a top-seller, high profile name. Go figure. Feeling very down just about now.
What is Richard III doing beneath a car park?? Aren't kings supposed to be buried in elaborate crypts, usually in cathedrals or something?? I realize it wasn't a car park back in his day - haha - but it must have been a pretty nondescript burial place for them to have lost it all this time.

As for "bad news", don't take it personally. Think about 95% of writers in that category. I think you're doing amazingly well. :)

No particular plans for me today. Mr Blue is making dinner for me tonight and apparently there are presents. :D

Oh, I did hear from G00dreads today that I'd won M!la 2.0! What good timing! I'm excited. Hmm, I'm wondering if Hound had a hand in making that happen!

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Dragon and Blue!!! :partyguy:

Shveta, I don't think that's unusual. At least, that's what happened to me. There were people who took months to even send form Rs. No worries!

(((Kia))) that sucks. I'm sorry.

(((Lily))) silly woman, of course it is!

I have a couple of things today: the first is that contest I told 'all the publisher was doing: if anyone's into Pinterest, there are awesome prizes! Click here for info.

The second is, if anyone is interested, I'm talking about writing good dialogue at Romance University today.

Hugs and high fives all around.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I did hear from G00dreads today that I'd won M!la 2.0! What good timing! I'm excited. Hmm, I'm wondering if Hound had a hand in making that happen!

I can vouch that she didn't. They don't ask the authors. Funny coincidence, though! Lisa won a copy of my ARC in my last one! Enjoy it. I can't wait to read it!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

happy birthday blue and dragon!

blue, that is hilarious that you won!
i know it is totally run by GR so such
a funny coincidence! i hope you can come
to her library signing and launch party in
san marcos in march??

kia, *hugs*. sending all good thoughts.
she is a beautiful cat.

shveta, no, i wouldn't be concerned at all
with the reply promptness. but when i was
querying, if i went three days with no response,
i'd Revenge Query. /bootay shake!

i am off to order my love seat today.
and get some stuff for mexico trip and
other things needed before this saturday.

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in after returning to the land of the living... Or, er, the living with computers.

Happy Birthday Blue and Dragon!

Shveta: I'm not sure... I started querying first week of January and got a mountain of replies the first and second week. After that, it's been very slow, yes. But it's probably about half and half in terms of agents who got back to me right away and who are weeks/months behind. How many did you send out? Could just be bad luck that you picked all your agents from the slow batch...

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, LW. It is a huge coincidence that it was both her book and the news arrived on my birthday!

And more congrats to you for all the wonderful experiences you're having since your book release! May they continue!

Thanks, xiao! Yes, I'm coming to her launch, of course! Wouldn't miss it.

Thanks, idon'tknowwhati'mdoing! Sheesh, do we have a shortened version for your name yet? I haven't been around enough lately to know. Hey, and a belated welcome from me!

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, idon'tknowwhati'mdoing! Sheesh, do we have a shortened version for your name yet? I haven't been around enough lately to know. Hey, and a belated welcome from me!

If there isn't a nickname yet, I vote for IDK :D

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to my Birthday Twin, Bluestone!​

:PartySmil:TheWave::TheWave::PartySmil

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And thanks to all, for the birthday wishes, I hope I repped everyone. :)

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Letting my professional self intrude re Richard III: I'm really not pleased that they did a press conference BEFORE peer review. Ancient DNA is really, really prone to error, and a number of people in the aDNA community are already pointing out that there are a lot of potential problems with this study. There's a writeup of the basic issues here: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23132-leicesters-winter-made-glorious-by-richard-iii.html

It REALLY tees me off when people do this. The drive to "market" science means a lot of people are announcing results too early, and then they have to retract, which makes all of us look bad (other recent examples: the NASA arsenic-based-life hoopla, the Jesus' wife papyrus).

Re why in a car park: there used to be a cathedral there :)

Sorry for the rant - and hope you all are having a great day.

ETA: Happy birthday Blue and Dragon!

ETA again: the above link has stopped working (too many hits?) even though the article is still linked from New Scientist's home page. I assume they'll fix it, but just in case they don't, here's a shorter, less in-depth version of the problems: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2013/02/leicester-body-richard-iii.html

Last edited:

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY - BLUE AND DRAGON!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.