Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Amarie, save your docs in .rtf format. That should circumvent the 2007/2010 problem.

red, I get my hair dyed every 7 weeks. My stylist shakes the goo up in a squirt bottle, like the plastic ketchup squirters in a diner.

I got her to strip my hair and dye it blond several years back. For stripping and dyeing she used squirt bottles. She works it in with gloved hands, then combs it through with a w-i-d-e-toothed comb. Then it sits for 25 minutes. Then she does the roots, and I sit for another 15 minutes. Then wash, rinse, some version of turpentine to wipe away any dye that got on my forehead and ears. Then she redid the whole process with the blonde dye. Then trimming and drying.

However, I got it highlighted once. That was a bowl of goop that the stylist (wearing surgical-thin gloves) dipped her fingers into to paint onto thin bunches of hair.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monopoly token?

They're replacing the iron with a cat. Hope she doesn't require going back to the vet. ;)

Red - my stylist always called it "color" but it's really a mix of checmicals including a bleaching agent that strips your hair and then a dye to color the bleached hair the color you want it. It can go on in a number of ways, including all in one process of glop, or two steps - bleach and then tint. But if she is doing all her hair, it's usually going to be painted or squirted on at the roots in careful sections and then pulled through all her hair. Then she probably processes under a heat lamp with a shower cap like thing or a plastic wrap around her hair.

But if it was in a scene, and not a hairdresser talking - ie, if it was the customer talking/narrating - she could just say, for example, "The stylist puts the color on my hair..."

~suki

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Okay, so she'll probably have to have it stripped first. I just can't figure out what to have her call the goop. I'm familiar with the word "developer" from when my mother used to home color her hair, but I all the time see people getting their hair bleached and colored at the salon, but since I don't go there very often, it never occurred to me to ask... So fascinating.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of calling it "goop".

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so she'll probably have to have it stripped first. I just can't figure out what to have her call the goop. I'm familiar with the word "developer" from when my mother used to home color her hair, but I all the time see people getting their hair bleached and colored at the salon, but since I don't go there very often, it never occurred to me to ask... So fascinating.

If she's already blond, and just going to a lighter blond, I think one step color/bleach goop would be enough, but it's feasible the stylist would bleach it first, and then add a toner to get the right blond.

If one step, I'd just call it color or goop or stuff....FWIW every stylist I've ever gone to has called it "color" - ie, "I'm going to put the color on your hair and let you process for a half hour."

~suki

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have had to be sneaky. Sable wasn't drinking as much as I would like. So I took her renal food and mashed it up with some warm water. She was happy for extra gravy, and I got loads of water into her :)

I'm hoping it will make a difference.

Can't comment on the going blond thing. I went red instead :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! Got my first query (requery) rejection!!! :D A response finally! Still waiting on R&R. And 100000 other queries LOL. But hey first's a first ;)

Hope you are all doing well. xo

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You seem to be taking it well--but what else could I expect from Smiley, eh?

Maryn, smiling back

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Well the worst for me is waiting on this R&R. The agent asked about it in Dec, wanted to meet up in person, gave me a sub list when she sent me the R&R in March 2012... Basically if she R's me, I will be a MESS. :(

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
/bootay shake! for you smiley!
QUERY AND CONQUER!

done with reading & critiquing one 77k ms. now
i have another--though that isn't going
to be critiqued. just want to be caught up
with what author friends are working on.

it's supposed to be in the 80s there. i can't imagine!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Good luck Smiley!

{{{Tas}}} I second whoever suggested craigslist for a cheap holdover machine.

So this kid at Sharkbite's preschool always thinks I'm his mom. Whenever I appear, he runs up to me, says "MAMA!" and gives me a big hug. Sometimes he shows me his art projects or whatever he's playing with. It's really sweet, but the thing is... I look absolutely nothing like his mother. We're different races, different heights, completely different builds. About the only thing we have in common is that we're female. I always respond to him, something like, "That's wonderful, sweetie, but I'm not your mommy!"

Is this, like... normal? For a three year old? He does seem like one of those kids who has no filters - a lover who just really likes everyone - but the whole thing is frankly getting a little weird. :)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Vamp dust* Smiley.

I have my hair heavily highlighted. Only one goopy thing for the blond highlights, no stripping. I prefer that to actually going solid blond because it's more forgiving at the roots than a whole blond thing. I go in every 8 weeks or so. My hairdresser heavily coats each section with a brush.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, maybe he thinks "Mama" just means "Lady" or something. Otherwise, he ought to be able to distinguish his mother unless he has something unusual going on. A newborn can tell who his mother is.

Revenge query, Smiley!

Not a salon person, Red. No idea.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Revenge Query, Smiley!

You'd think it'd be easy to get NON-MENTHOL honey throat drops/candy/ANYTHING at the grocery store, right. HAHAHA... no. I had to settle on ColdEeze which I really don't like because the zinc dries my mouth, but needs must. I need a voice for Saturday.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Either he actually DOES think I'm his mom, or he's mistaken about the WORD mama. Which might be the case - his parents are English speakers, but I think his mom might use Thai with him at home. Anyone know what mama means in Thai? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.