Last Movie You Watched...

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
My Bloody Valentine, '81. The story takes place on my birthday, month, day, and year! :D

lefty23

Registered
Reaction score
The Words. Subtly mind bending and mostly amazing. The things said about aspiring writers rang very true to me.

Yeah, i agree. I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but I really enjoyed it.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
50/50 - Enjoyed it, but ...

SPOILER:

I thought the MC should have died in the end (does that make me weird?)

Also, watched Extremely Close & Incredibly Loud...

I loved it - Great acting by the kid and who doesn't love Max von Sydow?

(Also, because my hubby works with kids with Asperger's, I could relate to the child's behavior)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Been sick for 4 days. Watched soooo many bad horror/SF/action movies. :tongue The funniest: Chuck Norris fighting the Devil's minion. The minion was balding. You'd think being high up in Satan's echelon would at least rate hair plugs. (I think the title was Hellbound.)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Possession - Allegedly based on a true story, Jeffrey Dean Morgan (who should be good at handling this stuff) and Kyra Sedwick's kid buys a box with a demon in it at a yard sale. Not bad. A little creepy.

Project X - It was on. I enjoyed it. The party security kids are the best.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Priest

This was one of those movies that was an almost for me. Fights were pretty cool but the dialogue was laughable in more places than it wasn't. Still, I could have gone with the over-the-top writing and delivery. The camera angles and 'money shots' were just hysterically funny because you could see where they were trying for dramatic coolness and ended up a dramatic overwrought mess. But, if you look at those money shots as perhaps a homage to Westerns, it could have worked. The plot was a white hot mess of huge gaping holes and such stagger leaps of logic that it was gravity-defying but the special effects made it shiny and glossy.

I could see what the director was trying to do, which ultimately was the death knell for me. If I can see the director's hand, if I can see that the actors are acting (or trying to, in this case), a movie that could have gotten a pass on other items of 'almost there' simply falls flat.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
The Silver Linings Playbook.

Cute, but not sure I understand the awards hype (except for the Weinstein connection). I mean, it's a pretty by-the-numbers romcom. Definitely one of the better recent ones, but still. What am I missing?

Octopus

Registered
Reaction score
The Hobbit by Peter Jackson is the last movie I have watched in theater. The movie is fantastic and it has extracted 300 pages of the book nicely to the movie.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
LES MISERABLES - it was awesome! Russell Crowe isn't the best singer, but the others made up for it. And Eddy Redmayne was yummy as usual.

We rarely go to the cinema in my family, because our nearest one is so far away, but we went to see Les Mis because my dad sold some wood to Pinewood Studios, and that wood was used in the set of Les Mis for part of the revolutionaries' barricade, and in the scene with the prostitutes with Anne Hathaway (and also in that crap Johnny Depp film DARK SHADOWS). Bit silly really but it was still kinda cool!

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Ok, I know someone recommended this film...and thank you :)
Rubber.
If the budget for this movie was more than thirteen thousand dollars I would be shocked.
And really, no spoiler alerts here. The main character is a tire.
Yup.
That has psychic powers.
Yup.
And falls in love and can breath...
Maybe I've said too much. I laughed so hard....

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Zero Dark Thirty.
Tough, rough, brutal, but also brilliant. It's long and you know how it's going to end, but it didn't bore me for one moment.
Wondered where they shot it - I knew it couldn't be Pakistan - but it was India, of course.
Most unexpected incongruous bits: the disco and Lamborghini scenes in Kuwait.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Last was The Hobbit. Underwhelmed. Before that, Skyfall. Pretty good. Best of the last half year, though, was Beasts of the Southern Wild. Mesmerizing.

Beasts of the Southern Wild was the last movie I watched and I agree. I seldom watch movies more than once, but I'd definitely watch that one again.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Stand Up Guys with Al Pacino, Chris Walken, and Alan Arkin.

I thought parts of it were brilliant, poignant, and delivered what you'd want from this kind of movie. I won't give anything away, but just to say that at times they were obviously going for excitement and surface entertainment when realism would have done just fine. Still I would recommend it.

lebbieb

Registered
Reaction score
Parental Guidance. Chuckled a few times, bored most of the time.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra The madness will drive you mad with madness.
---

This is a brilliantly funny sendup of a genre which should have been sent up more. One of my favorites. Thing is, you have decent actors trying to act amateurishly and yet getting their point across. Brilliantly done.

As for me, watched an oldie but a goodie yesterday, The Incredible Shrinking Man. Probably THE finest existential SF film ever made. Watched The Arrival (I know, Charlie Sheen is in it and yes, even then he gave symptoms of his nutsiness but it was a fine film with a good message) after the classic flick. Winning!

DizScare

You make my heart skip a beet.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently watched Hoodwinked!, a nice film with poor animation starring Anne Hathaway.

It's a good movie, but watching it now...it's hard for me not to notice awkward movements.