Last Movie You Watched...

Zmoosh

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing Argo this afternoon. Liked it a lot.

Fantastic movie, I liked it as well. Although I knew what was going to happen throughout watching, I still found myself at the edge of my seat. It was very well done.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Steven Spielberg's War Horse on TV last night. Very traditional, but moving.

I saw War Horse a few weeks ago. Good movie. I thought Spielberg did a nice job of depicting the futility of war.

Just watched The Shoes of the Fisherman for the first time. It's interesting especially in light of the upcoming Papal conclave. Good movie; good acting with geo-political twists. It's a little on the slow side but I didn't find it boring; it took its time telling the story. It wasn't a preachy movie but dealt with philosophical and religious discussions in a thoughtful manner. I found myself thinking about it afterward. Also, really enjoyed seeing the sights and fashion of Rome in the 1960s. Very cool.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Skyfall last night. Even on the small screen it is a badass Bond. :hooray:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: You mean, you didn't like it? :wag:
---

Is there an emoticon which shows someone heaving their latest meal all over the keyboard?:)

Let me check...

.............................:flamethrower

If I had my druthers, this is what I'd do to the movie...

Quantum1019

Registered
Reaction score
Do documentaries count for this topic? Last night I watched Everything or Nothing, the recent documentary about the James Bond movies. It was quite good, although there wasn't much info included that I didn't already know. I enjoyed the interviews with most of the Bonds (Connery did not appear), especially Timothy Dalton who I really wish had done more than 2 movies.

But I have one big complaint. Not a single mention (and only a few seconds of appearances in the clips that were included) of Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, and Desmond Llewellyn. Those 3 actors appeared in more Bond movies than anyone (Llewellyn was in 17 of the 23 films!) and they deserved at least to have their names spoken at some point in the documentary.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
---

Is there an emoticon which shows someone heaving their latest meal all over the keyboard?:)

Let me check...

.............................:flamethrower

If I had my druthers, this is what I'd do to the movie...

heh heh heh...

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to seeing Argo this afternoon. Liked it a lot.

We saw Argo last night on BluRay. It was terrific. I recall the incident in the '80s and thanked every Canadian I knew. Harboring the escapees took tons of guts.

The line the characters kept repeating came from an old '50s knock-knock joke based on the popular starch brand, Argo.

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Argo.
Argo who?
Argo fuck yourself.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Attack the Block.

Accents and jargon both a bit hard to decipher at first and then I got into it. Low-budget, but very inventive and well-directed. Worth a look.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I love Attack The Block - perfect antidote to the big budget American alien invasion films, and the sugary E.T. type films. Seen it a bunch of times, and it never gets old.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen three new movies recently, Gangster Squad, Argo, and Flight. For me, Flight was the best, Argo next, and Gangster Squad a distant last. Watching the Sean Penn, Josh Brolin thing, I had that frustration you have when a movie just misses, but this one, for me, didn't just miss, it missed by a mile. Still frustrating, 'cause I love the genre, as long as they don't go over the top with the guns and the sensational. But as I think has been mentioned on this thread, this one goes so far over the top it's almost a send-up of the genre. Some pretty great actors in there, even Nick Nolte, one of my favorites. But watching it, I had the feeling, Okay, so everyone needed to get paid, and I assume they did, so maybe the next one will be for us.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Watched Flight the other day. Even when Denzel Washington plays a scumbag, he does it so well, you sort of end up liking him. The landing sequence is really a knock-out, just on the verge of believability, and it sets the tone of the flick, but it's DW's show all the way.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with J.S.F. on Denzell. No wonder he was nominated. One thing he always is, is believable.

Just watched Perks of a Wallflower, and I guess I could be one of the few on here who hasn't read the book, so I didn't know what was coming, but the movie, written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, who wrote the novel, creates a sense of gloom that hangs over the movie. I didn't know why at the time, but I watched the entire movie with a lump in my throat. I'm a few years past the target audience age, but the writing was so good, the director obviously had such a grasp of the material, knew where all the marks were and how to hit them most effectively, and the acting for me, is just impeccable. I don't count myself as an expert on any of this stuff, but you know when something rings true. Bravo!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Men of Valor. It was pretty good. The acting by the two main guys was pretty bad (but then again, they are not actors, so...), but I really enjoyed learning about how that story went down. Very intense and scary and the way the one guy died :(

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Agree with J.S.F. on Denzell. No wonder he was nominated. One thing he always is, is believable.

Just watched Perks of a Wallflower, and I guess I could be one of the few on here who hasn't read the book, so I didn't know what was coming, but the movie, written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, who wrote the novel, creates a sense of gloom that hangs over the movie. I didn't know why at the time, but I watched the entire movie with a lump in my throat. I'm a few years past the target audience age, but the writing was so good, the director obviously had such a grasp of the material, knew where all the marks were and how to hit them most effectively, and the acting for me, is just impeccable. I don't count myself as an expert on any of this stuff, but you know when something rings true. Bravo!

I just watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower this weekend as I was lounging around trying to kick a bad cold. I didn't expect it to be nearly as affecting as it was. It did a great job of (for the most part) avoiding cliche and melodrama. All the young actors were amazing--they got across the emotion without going overboard. I particularly liked the actor who played Patrick.

The author of the book also wrote the screenplay and directed the movie--pretty impressive.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Wreck It Ralph, one of the better Disney movies I've seen lately. As far as CG ones go I'd recommend it over Brave. I liked how a fair chunk was basically Mario Kart. Great nostalgia flick for anyone who grew up with games as a part of their childhood, with lots of references and some actual cameos of IP characters like Sonic, which surprised me. Plot was fast, suspenseful with a few wtfs.