Last Movie You Watched...

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Fires on the Plain (Nobi), directed by Kon Ichikawa. It's about a Japanese soldier suffering from TB trying to make his way across Leyte after the Americans have crushed Japanese resistance. It's pretty shocking in places, hunger and the threat of cannibalism are big themes. It's rather strange to watch after seeing say, The Walking Dead or Biggest Loser.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Ikiru, by Kurosawa. One man's crusade to do something good before his time is up. The acting is excellent and the final shot, haunting.

Recommendation: The Intruder (1961) with...get ready for it...

...William Shatner as a racist. Probably Roger Corman's finest picture, way ahead of its time, and it never made any money. A pity, as it's extremely well acted and directed, very simple and straightforward, and has a timely message for us all. Well worth viewing.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Producers. Mostel and Wider = Perfection.

Last night, we watched a subtitled French movie called Black Heaven. Started out iffy, but by the halfway point, both Mr. Lily and myself had put down what we were doing to pay more attention.

It's not perfect. The characters are stock. The twists are mostly predictable. But it kept us interested right through to the end. I actually shouted at the screen: "End it here! This is the ending! End it now!" And they did.

They tossed an iffy non-ending few frames right after I yelled, but I'm pretending that meant something good instead of the "make a sad ending no matter what" modern movie ending.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't end up watching Liar Liar because we are moving soon and disconnected our Netflix which enable our HBO to Go on our ROKU box and couldn't bother setting it up. So, we watched a silly looney tunes movie with Brendan Frasier and Jenna Elfman. It was cute. Girls liked it. Had some cute humor in it and it was fun to see some of the old time cartoon characters.

Oh, and we watched Machine Gun Preacher the other night. Wow. One of those movies that leaves you feeling like you are not doing enough to help those in such desperate need :( That movie (and the reality of the situation) will sit with me forever :( :(

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Dark Skies

A horror film that's actually creepy! Really good.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Argo - great film.

Not only should Afleck have gotten a nomination for directing, but Brian Kranston should have been recognized for best-supporting.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, which was free on Amazon Prime. It starred Miley Cyrus and Demi Moore, surprisingly NOT as bad as I thought it would be but obviously not the greatest movie ever. :tongue Cute for what it was? ;)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
No Way to Treat a Lady, with Rod Steiger dominating the scenery (or chewing it up, whichever comes first:)) as a serial killer. Plot device of taunting the detective and saying "I'm smarter than you" (yes, Steiger actually says that) is old-fashioned now, but must have been fresh forty-five years ago. Funny in a very sick way, but worth watching.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Watched The Hobbit last night. Felt as if I was meeting up with old friends again although the film could easily have been half an hour shorter.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"Scoop". It was OK. Scarlett and Woody were a nice match. :Thumbs:

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Hero.

There is not a moment -- for me -- that is not filled with beauty, in all its facets, not solely visual.

It always strikes me how much traditional Chinese and Celt storytelling has in common.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Vicki, an obscure noir with Jeanne Crain. Not bad.
---

The original, I Wake Up Screaming, with Betty Grable and Victor Mature is far superior and better acted although I always liked Jeanne Crain.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my Dad to watch Dr Horrible's Sing Along-Blog. He's not big into musicals but loves anything by Joss Whedon. Success! He loved it!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Source Code

Supposedly they are considering developing this as a TV series.
---

I emjoyed the movie even with the plot holes and the fact I figured out who the killer was in the first few minutes. I hope they don't--DON'T--develop it as a TV series. It'll end up like Quantum Leap or something similar, and while I liked that show, it got a little too tiresome and moralistic for me.

Source Code should quit while it's ahead. It was a good flick, suspenseful and thought provoking, but some flicks should not be made into TV series. This is one of them.

strandedhero

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Raven which is giving me The Following (tv show) deja-vu but thought it was appropriate to post here cause it's literary nature. I enjoyed it! Makes me want to reread some Poe.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Took the kids (18 and 10) to see Jurassic Park 3D.

They loved it.

They noticed that Spielberg put San Jose, Costa Rica in the wrong place. Also, the little one had problems with a whole bunch of the science in it, but he was willing to forgive those things in the interest of entertainment.

I love those boys.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Saw Anna Karenina over the weekend--and enjoyed it. I haven't seen any other movie versions or read the book (I know--philistine of me). I actually liked the fact that it seemed to be taking place "on stage". It was different, and gave a dream-like quality to the story which I fit the material.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
The Man Who Wasn't There, a Coen Brothers film starring Billy Bob Thornton, Frances McDormand, James Gandolfini, Scarlet Johansen, and the always great Jon Polito in a pivotal role...

Not sure what it is about this film, a strangeness that keeps you glued to the screen. And Billy Bob is always great, imo, as is Frances McDormand one of the best working in films today.