How Soon to Sub Again?

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
I have kind of an odd question.

Say that a publisher accepts your story. How soon do you send them another one?

Is there an unspoken tasteful wait time, or do you strike while the iron's still hot? I was wondering if publishers were more/less likely to accept another story from a particular author directly following the acceptance of the first.

Because on the one hand, I can see how they'd snatch you up, since they obviously like your stuff. On the other, would they want to have the same author in every other issue?

Anyone have any ideas?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CL: Send another one right away!

Many of the magazines have their "regulars" like Bud Sparhawk at Analog or Albert Cowdrey at F&SF. Why not try to become a regular at the market you've sold to?

I often send stories to Nature and DSF on the same day when I receive the acceptance email for the previous submission :) (If I have something that's a good fit, of course.)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Some places have rules about this. I believe with the Gettysburg Review you have to wait three years after your work is published to send them anything else. I would check with the publication either in the submission guidelines or with an email before sending in another piece.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Always follow the rules, but again, baring a rule against it, I'd submit soon after. (After all, they liked the first...why not see if they like a second?)

Also, grats on the sale!

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Thanks! On the one hand, I kind of roll my eyes at publications that publish the same author over and over again. I tend to be very much, "Hmm. This guy again?" But I suppose it would be a nice thing to aim for. ;)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Mine actually asked for the second (in a series) knowing I had completed it, and is using that to help consider their answer on the first. They asked for the synopsis on the third, as well (just finished the first draft of that).

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
The way I figure it is this: if they have a rule about submitting (for ex. Clarkesworld has a rule where if they accept a story from you, there's a six month wait before you can submit again) then I follow the rule.

If not then it's open season, on the grounds that if they wanted a space between subs they would have said so.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Clarke just tweeted that the '6 month' rule is no longer being used at Clarkesworld, btw.