How to write a Bio for a Pseudonym

ThatWolfAgain

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how you handle writing a Bio when you're using a pen name? I'm about to submit a story to Weird Tales, and they want one as part of the submission. Thing is, I'm female and using a gender-neutral pen name, have no publishing credits, and no idea how to make a 'formal' bio (vs. an interesting bio that doesn't really tell you anything about anything and is just interesting - some mags take this kind) under these conditions.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Basically I list some true things about myself and attribute them to the pen name, leaving out anything I do not wish to disclose. In my case, nationality, current country of residents, the type of stuff I write and that I have a dog. Or some similar list of stuff depending on what that readership might be interested in.

Sometimes I get even more whimsical like my recent bio for a horror anthology: "Bio: Emily Veinglory typically writes gay romance or high fantasy. Sometimes she writes something completely different.
This is one of those times."

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote some basically true stuff in my bio: I have two kids, I live near Pittsburgh, I own a Pekingese called Foo Bat (who can be liked on FB), and I write some kind of Fantasy. I think there's a link to my blog, but I honestly don't remember anymore (there should be, if there isn't).

I thought about creating a completely different history, but I don't want to get caught up with playing a role. I'm not that good an actor and my memory for that kind of detail sucks massively. Thus, I kept to neutral truths.

Though I will say that the best author bio I ever read was a complete fabrication with the author doing all kinds of impossible things (flying to Mars for lunch and such). I'm no good at coming up with such things about myself, but it's another option.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Though I will say that the best author bio I ever read was a complete fabrication with the author doing all kinds of impossible things (flying to Mars for lunch and such). I'm no good at coming up with such things about myself, but it's another option.

Mine is totally made up! I'm a time traveller, I have an evil twin, etc. I think its hilarious.

ThatWolfAgain

Registered
Reaction score
I like the whimsical ones too-- but I'm not sure that's appropriate here just from reading other bios from the mag.
But thanks guys, that helps. I didn't want to mention my University because it's an all-girl's school, but the residence and pet ideas are good.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I've gone the whimsical route, as well - landing on the moon, etc etc. Of I just do some stuff that is real about me (like other publications under the pseudo)

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
I just wrote some true, albeit vague, stuff. I like fantasy and sci-fi, I buy a lot of books, things like that.