About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I just looked back a page and found that yes, indeed, several of you are going through the redesign. How did you get started? I look at all I need to do and I am not sure if I should start with with labels, user paths, or landing pages.
Any advice?
I have blocked off time tomorrow to just get started...I need to just do it!

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
Quick note to aspiring guides: I've noticed a few new topics lately including Cooking for Two, South American food, and Volleyball. I don't remember seeing them before.

Back to reading prep documents. :)

contempochic

it's not easy being green
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great support everyone! I really don't know if I'd have made it this far without all the kind words and advice. I hope everyone who started today does well! And everyone still waiting to start: Good luck!

Keath--Something I noticed on your pages is that you include sources at the bottom in a smaller font. I know that's probably more of a necessity for health-related sites like yours, but I was wondering how you do that?

Have a great weekend everyone!

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Courtney,
In blogs write <sub>then source</sub>
or in a regular article template (which I use for most everything...except blogs)
use [sub]then source[/sub]

The word "sub" makes the words smaller. I also use this whenever I give attribution to the photos to make the words smaller.

Last edited:

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Wow,
Did you see how that worked in this post?! I didn't mean to do that!

For regular articles put [ ] these kinds of brackets around sub then when you want the smaller font to stop use [/ ] with the word sub after the slash.

contempochic

Registered
Reaction score
Lol! That's funny the tags worked on your previous post! Thanks for the help. I have a lot of photos to attribute, and I don't like having the words the same size. I've been italicizing, but after looking at your site I thought smaller looked much better. Anyway, thanks for your help! Your site looks fantastic!

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Keath, I was told that the landing page is key to making the redesign work for your site, so I did one. (I am in one of the channels that's involved.) But, if you're new, they want you to create lots of content first - then they'll email you about the user paths, etc. and have you do those.

The landing page tool is easy to use once you've seen a redesigned page and know what it will look like. You can't see the whole thing in the tool's preview mode - don't know why.

contempochic

Registered
Reaction score
Kori-Do I use the image tool to do that or something else? Thanks!

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed they are looking for a guide for Bread Baking. That sounds like a fun one. I should give it a try. But I feel like it is impossible to get in unless you have a degree or something.

I just got a rejection for Migraines and Headaches which I applied for months ago. I have had migraines all my life and am pretty knowledgeable about the topic. Still no word on Green Living but if they already have someone in prep I guess that tells me the answer on that one. :)

So, do I try Bread Baking? I guess it won't hurt to try. Unless you all know of people already in prep for that too.

Last edited:

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen,
You should definitely go for it! I think Bread Baking would be a fun topic. Don't let the past rejection get you down. Sometimes they are just looking for someone or something real specific.

NancyP,
I have gotten the notice that the Health sites (even the new guides) must have things done for the redesign in early Jan. I need to just bite the bullet and get busy.

Courtney and Kori,
I put the photo attribution at the end of the article, simply because of my readers. When I first put it under the photo it looked busy. For the ADHD readers the cleaner the better...although when I looked at your site, Kori, it looked great! Maybe I'll rethink where I put the attribution. As you get started (my site has only been up two weeks) you really are trying to figure out things. It has been a little bit trial and error for me. :)

Courtney,
Thanks so much for the compliment. I get worried about the site and really want it to be inviting and informative for readers. Readers have been so kind and have even sent in wonderful questions and article ideas. I think About really promotes the sites as a friendly, but educational place to visit and get info.

Keath

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I applied for Bread Baking and made myself hungry writing my sample. :) So now I will just hope they like it. If I can get on with About, along with my other two gigs, I will be set.

Think good thoughts for me! :)

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking good thoughts, Kathleen!

Now that prep has begun, I want to say that reading most of this thread (I'm still plugging through it) was a tremendous help in not letting me feel overwhelmed once I got all of the info and documentation I need to read.

I'm glad that as soon as I was notified I was accepted into prep, I started jotting down ideas, then preparing outlines for articles/blogs. I put a google alerts on for keywords related to my topic and any time I found an article of interest, I bookmarked it for ideas.

I'm taking a bunch of notes while reading over the prep documents, especially in areas I feel I'm weak (identifying the best META keywords, for instance), but also in regards to what they're looking for in content.

I've fleshed out 10 pieces of content so far. I've come up with 12 solid categories and am trying to select 3 more strong ones--I have some, but want to pick the best. I plan to have at least 1 piece of original content for each category, but definitely want more than that. Fortunately, I've discovered how much I love my topic and writing about it has been easy.

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
One more thing: I'm paying strict attention to what topics they cover in "Things You Will Need to Complete in Prep." I'm going to make sure I have content written on each one of those points, as well as each point in the sample outline of major topics they give. From everything I've read here, that seems vitally important.

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Del - Yes, it's very important to cover the those things. Good luck!

Keath- If you make the text right under the photos too big, then I agree it looks cluttered. But you can reduce the font size until you find the level where it looks best. But you are right, your readers are different and it's great that you consider what's best for them. Your site looks great so far!

Courtney - You need to write the code in html for the attribution to appear right under the photo.

Good luck to everyone in prep, waiting for prep, or waiting to graduate! :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I got word that they promoted a guide to chronic fatigue and wouldn't be taking anyone for that position, still no word though on Herbs and Spices.
Just thought I'd let ya'll know in case someone was waiting on word for chronic fatigue.

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
Kathleen - good luck with Bread Baking!

Del - it sounds like you're off to a great start. I've been doing the same thing in terms of making outlines and writing notes.

Thanks to this thread, I don't feel overwhelmed by prep. Actually I feel pretty good and I'm not worried about mystery competition.

Anyways I hope everyone has a productive weekend!

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Del, Good luck! Sounds like you're ready to go.

Kathleen, Oh, bread baking sounds lovely! Just highlight what experience you do have and put your best foot forward.

A tip for folks when adding images to content. When you upload the image in the image tool, you can enter the info for the owner, caption, etc. Then, when you insert the image into your document, it automatically pulls that info into your template. That's especially nice for photos you may use more than once and so you don't lose information info on the owner.

Christy

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about applying for bread baking. I am known for my breads and I have been baking for a long time.

In the section where you list your qualifications I put my personality into it a bit instead of just listing qualifications as I usually do when I apply. So now if I get a rejection I'll really be disappointed! lol

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
@Kathleen, good point! The first few times I applied to About, I did what the app. page said and was very brief in listing my qualifications. Not this last time, especially after reading in this thread and elsewhere to NOT be brief. I listed everything and then posted a sample longer than two paragraphs, one that was about 500 words and had been published. And this was the time I was accepted, so yes, I definitely believe that listing all your qualifications (because I listed a few not directly related to the job) and injecting your personality will help. Good luck!

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi everyone - congratulations to you all making the plunge and sending in those applications!

Today is my last day to make adjustments to my site before final review tomorrow - I have completed everything on my mandatory list, and I'm wondering if it would be in my best interest to try and write more content, or spend the rest of the day reviewing what I've already done to make sure the site looks perfect -- as far as typos and things go.

With only so many hours left until the final review tomorrow, I feel like I should be adding as much as I can -- but I don't think any of the content ideas would really add to the overall quality of the site -- it would just be MORE content.

I have "the candidate with the most content will most likely get the position" stuck in my head - and what if another prep person has one more than I do -- it's enough to drive a person insane.

Thank goodness all of this is almost over!
Good luck to you Courtney on your last day -- and those of you in your first week!!

Elizabeth.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth,
Since there isn't much time left...if you have completed the required amount, then I would spend time reviewing and correcting any typos, grammar, etc. If you still have time after that you can add more content.
Good luck. Please let us know as soon as you hear from your final review. We are pulling for you!
Keath

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I have "the candidate with the most content will most likely get the position" stuck in my head - and what if another prep person has one more than I do -- it's enough to drive a person insane.

Revise that thought just a bit. It should be "the candidate with the most content of the highest quality that has met all of our site's guidelines will most likely get the position."

Seriously, it's a blend of quantity and following the list of things they want to see on the site. If someone has written twice as many articles as you have, but the quality and tone is not what About.com is looking for, then you've got a leg up on them.

EJBorer

I BLEED SCARLET AND GRAY
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What a relief to be done!

I finished up with 40 original pieces - 8 of them blogs. I wanted to have at least 2 of my own works under each category and at least 5 links under each category - I had 5 essentials and I added a picture for good measure. With the other about links and outside links, I think the total for everything was 70. So I tried my best - the rest is up to them now.

I am in no way getting myself ready for a congrats email - I am totally prepared for a sorry, but no thanks email - I've even checked the list of available topics since I may need to start applying again. So, back to waiting and checking my inbox 10 times a day.

Patti, Keath, Christy, Kori, Nancy and everyone - thanks for all the support over these 2 weeks, I've really appreciated it! - once again, this forum is so great - it's so nice to have people who understand what I'm talking about without explanation :)

Courtney - Good luck to you - I've got my fingers crossed for both of us!!
Good luck on all of your first reviews this week art nerd and novelette!!

Status
Not open for further replies.