Congrats to JL!!!!

:hi: Mayqueen!

:hi:Chan!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew there was something I was going to order today.

Nom, hot-chocolate prose.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you all moved out, lady?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
HOORAY FOR JOHNNY LAW!!!!!
That is excellent news!!!!!

Cricket, you're beautiful. Those pictures are gorgeous. Now I want to hop on a train and go to Paris. I could be there by mid-afternoon.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Yayayayayaya ssssssooooooooo happy for him blond :)

Welcome May!!!!!

Good morning all :)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Woke up sneezing my head off. I really hope it's just allergies!

I "might" have a write-in before getting to see a live ballet performance tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that this happens.

I also submitted my little paranormal romance to a couple of pubs. I hope I find a home for it.

Blond- said it on twitter, but YAY for JL!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Purgies!

Howdy, Lisa!

Welcome back, Cricket!

:welcome: Welcome to Purgatory, Mayqueen!

Sammy - vamp dust for your subs!

I'm 5'5", female, of a certain age and weight, and my dream of being a power forward for the Celtics simply is not going to happen
Detroit Pistons?

Grats JL!!!!!:PartySmil:TheWave::PartySmil
+1! MEGA Congrats, JL!

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning! Repped as I went.

I'm off to IL this afternoon for a tracking test tomorrow. Last test Blue and I were in we failed because I didn't see his article indication. He's tracking great, but I have my doubts about my abilities. We shall see.

Other than that, I'm still working on revisions for book 3, though every time I've sat down to work on them this weekend, I've fallen asleep. I don't know if that says something about the book or about everything else that's going on.

Have a lovely day!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to Johnny Law, Esq. (I know, I know, that's more an East Coast thing.)

Here, Sammy, a new box of Kleenex just for you.

Fire, my thanks for the perspective. Woe is me (or as I see it online so often, Whoa is me [snicker]), I don't have a string of books out which are making me rich and famous and beloved by millions. But I have a place to live, a stable family in good health, know where my next meal is coming from, and other luxuries not everyone has. The things we take for granted, huh?

I'm officially jealous of Caleb, because I just got the Dumb Ways to Die video and I was going to share it. You young people are just too fast for an old woman like me. ;) Click through if you haven't yet. It's really cute, safe for work, and runs about three minutes.

About writing as a career: Obviously I'm well below many of you on the curve, and it can be extremely discouraging to see how much there is yet to scale. About three years ago, I decided I was going to quit beating myself up over my failure at mountaineering, after The Kid's insightful remark.

I'd talked to my in-person critique group, and shared with The Kid, that I was weighing the option to stop writing. And she said, "But you like writing. What's wrong with doing it because you like it?" And the answer which I hadn't really seen before was, "Nothing at all."

Since then, I write for the pleasure of seeing a story or book come together. I'm slow, and that's fine; my income or career aren't impacted. Sometimes I sell something. Often I don't even try. And this is working for me.

Not that I don't still dream of getting an agent, selling a book, getting a fan letter, or having my bank account tell me I'm good, but I'm still enjoying writing even if none of that happens.

Maryn, at the age of reason, finally

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, your vacation looks like it was so amazing. You two look like you're hosting a travel show.

Good luck to Charming and Blue!

Rick, haha.

Fun, Sammy.

I have some weekend guests coming soon. I'm kind of grumpy about it -- it's the woman I know who was supposed to do the NYC marathon who is now doing the Philly, and thus staying with us. Sort of annoying because I have many other things to do, and they are staying with us because she is too stressed about going to a hotel and figuring out how to to get there because it's her first marathon. This way my husband (who is running) can take her. But it shouldn't be so hard for an NYC girl to get a cab, right?

So I think she's kind of princessy. And who is thinking about my stress here? I am sure I have much more going on, what with my kids, my job, my book on sub, my book coming out, a freelance assignment due Wednesday. Plus this will be their fourth or fifth overnight stay with us (others at the shore during high-demand Memorial Day weeend) without reciprocation. (I know they don't have space and I don't want to go to NYC anyway, and if we did, I'd rather stay in a hotel because I like hotels) And she's a germophobe and my house is messy -- which is the way I like it!

OK, rant over. Will probably be fine. Note that my husband runs about four marathons per year, which is fine and I tolerate, but because of this (and because of the occasional annoyance) I don't really care about anyone else's running so I don't care about the "amazing" accomplishment of her first marathon. Actually, I think the race culture is narcissistic and/or cultish.

Hmm, I guess my rant wasn't over, was it?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I think that's lovely. And The Kid sounds like a most insightful human being. No surprise. :)

{{{Kel}}} Boo for lousy, narcissistic house guests.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound so mean. They're really not that bad. She's OK. I like her husband. They are bringing their little girl, who my daughters like. It's just sort of awkward, considering they are not good friends and that my husband and woman guest will turn in early to rest up the race, so I get to spend my evening doing ???? with male guest. I don't know what ???? is but it will not be anything porkchoppy. More like he will feel awkward and thus go to bed early while I stay up to a normal hour reading.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Kell, you don't sound mean. You sound like a stressed introvert who is giving up her personal space at a time when its most needed. Good thing it promises to be short-lived.

Maryn, your daughter is wise.

Good luck Billie and Blue.

Wasn't our Blue doing her 60 mile walk this weekend? G'luck, D.

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, I think that's lovely. And The Kid sounds like a most insightful human being. No surprise. :).

This!

I'm trying to finish an (academic) article today. It was due on Wednesday (and Wednesday was the extension due date, so it is REALLY due). It is hard to write all scholarly-like when what I want to do today is write fiction....

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
kell, i honestly wouldn't do that
except for a close friend. i'm very
protective of my home as a sanctuary
and i'm honestly just not a hostess in that
way. our house is small, our schedules are
regimented, we all lead busy lives.

i think you are being very gracious in this
case--esp since she is bringing her whole
family. what! that is an imposition if you
aren't very close.

i know there are nice people who will open
their homes to everyone. i'm just not that person.
i didn't even do sleep overs as a kid! ha!

(and growing up, we also never had anyone
stay except immediate family.)

will have to check out cricket's pix later.
gotta get ready for my day at the gallery!!

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Fire, my thanks for the perspective. Woe is me (or as I see it online so often, Whoa is me [snicker]), I don't have a string of books out which are making me rich and famous and beloved by millions. But I have a place to live, a stable family in good health, know where my next meal is coming from, and other luxuries not everyone has. The things we take for granted, huh?

Thank you.
I realise that this is a 'writing' forum, but sometimes it's just good to remember that there's more to life than writing.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to finish an (academic) article today. It was due on Wednesday (and Wednesday was the extension due date, so it is REALLY due). It is hard to write all scholarly-like when what I want to do today is write fiction....
Good luck! I've been there. Hell, I'm there now. It's not the most fun place to be. My scholarly writing always turns out kind of funny and I have to go back and take out the jokes and colorful words I wrote it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.