The Novel Challenge Sign-Up Booth--it's never too late to join!

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
I've 50K of novel from NaNo. My goal is to get it to 75K at least, polish and sub by the end of the year (if not sooner).

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I got 50k down for NaNo (my first novel-writing attempt ever!) and had a ton of fun with it. So I'm aiming to start another one, this one a little more well thought-out before I start, and get that first draft done within two months. At 1,000-1,500 words per day, I'll be moving at a good pace while still leaving room for school/social life. Because, y'know, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. And then Jack goes crazy with cabin fever and takes a roque mallet to his family. :D

Novel first draft within two months, at least a thousand words a day, don't go mad. Doable. Definitely doable.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I got 50k down for NaNo (my first novel-writing attempt ever!) and had a ton of fun with it. So I'm aiming to start another one, this one a little more well thought-out before I start, and get that first draft done within two months. At 1,000-1,500 words per day, I'll be moving at a good pace while still leaving room for school/social life. Because, y'know, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. And then Jack goes crazy with cabin fever and takes a roque mallet to his family. :D

Novel first draft within two months, at least a thousand words a day, don't go mad. Doable. Definitely doable.
Nice goal, Niccolo! :banana:

dlmusic55

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my third draft of my first novel. Now I'm putting it aside and letting it stew for a little while I work on a new project. My goal is to have the first draft done by 3/1/14.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I finished my third draft of my first novel. Now I'm putting it aside and letting it stew for a little while I work on a new project. My goal is to have the first draft done by 3/1/14.
That's a good goal, dlmusic55. Also, welcome to W1S1! :welcome:

Linnea

Registered
Reaction score
I have a god-awful 60K words from a NaNo a couple of years back. I've been depressed about my writing ever since, but I am finding reading all these threads has given me the kick in the butt that I needed. So I am going to shoot for writing 50K+ book by the end of August. Should say, 50K+ of better writing than my last effort!

Linnea
Crossing her fingers

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I have a god-awful 60K words from a NaNo a couple of years back. I've been depressed about my writing ever since, but I am finding reading all these threads has given me the kick in the butt that I needed. So I am going to shoot for writing 50K+ book by the end of August. Should say, 50K+ of better writing than my last effort!

Linnea
Crossing her fingers
:snoopy:

Welcome to W1S1, Linnea! And hey, if you need more kicks (of the encouraging variety) we're happy to help dispense them :D

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Jumping in about a month late here.

I'm part-way through a second draft of a 125k S&S/werewolf novel. My aim is to get it trimmed and polished and out by the end of the year, plus a start made on the next (space opera).

vivacali

Registered
Reaction score
I would absolutely, very much like to participate in this program!

My goal is to write 50K words in my new novel by August of 2014. I think I can, I think I can!

Thank you.

Alienmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Izz, I found you through your other thread. Great idea. :snoopy:

I've got the first ~10k for a novel I'm completely writing, different protagonist. I've started it through a writing group and would like to be done by year end.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Great opening post, Izz.

Joining the short fiction challenge resulted in my kicking 20 stories out the door to pro editors since last May, so I guess I'm due to post my novel goals. Thanks, Izz and all the regulars for your inspiration and company.

I'm extending my deadline on finishing the second draft of the Gothic horror to the end of April.

I lost the original mss and possibly a scene or two from the dictated version. So it's around 50k and I need to write a few bridge scenes because I wrote it non-sequentially and there are a few small gaps. Bummed about losing all my notes, yet once I started editing it and putting the scenes in order I discovered it's pretty cohesive and I'm excited about it.

For now, I'm going to make the get-it-out deadline December.

Last edited:

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I've started working on the first draft of a gaslamp fantasy. Hope to have the first draft finished by June and start querying it by December.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Good stuff, lizo27! Welcome to W1S1 and the Novel Challenge :welcome:

Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to join! I have two novels, both for potential series, that I am *attempting* to outline. I would like to give myself a year to have them written, polished, and to begin the querying process! I'm excited but this will be difficult, haha. At the very least, my writing and plotting will improve!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, W1S1 and the Novel Challenge, Valkyrie! :welcome:

Yep, your skills will most certainly improve! :)

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Is it too late to jump on board?

I want to get Scrubbing Grandma finished, edited and ready to sub by the end of the year.
At the same time I'd like to get Clara's Wedding and SSHSFS to completed first drafts.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Is it too late to jump on board?
It's never too late to jump on board JustKia! :) Welcome to W1S1 & the Novel Challenge :welcome:

I want to get Scrubbing Grandma finished, edited and ready to sub by the end of the year.
At the same time I'd like to get Clara's Wedding and SSHSFS to completed first drafts.
Those sound like good goals to me! :hooray:

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
How's everybody doing with their novel challenges?

I've completed my second draft, and now I'm at the final-tweaks-and-polishes stage. I'm struggling with motivation, though; my writer brain seems to think that since I've just done the tension-building race to the finish I should be done with this one and moving on to the next.

I've considered giving it a breather in the drawer for a while, but I fell into that trap after the first draft and it sat for a ridiculously long time. My plan is to man up, power through, and get it done.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
I've been procrastinating mine by writing a load of short stories. Now I'm aiming to finish the second draft by the end of May.

Yes, power through and get it done. Nothing beats just doing it, although I'm giving myself bonus points for the most productive month of procrastination ever.