The AWer Harper Voyager Unagented Submissions Watch Thread

skatehall

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Dryad,

your situation is complicated by the departure of the editor. I'm in Australia and don't even know who the acquisitions people are! I don't know what I'd do in your circumstances, but I think the subbing elsewhere thing is problematic under the current conditions.

I would email but I already did so twice last year and received the same reply both times: "still under consideration. Thank you for your patience"
I'm reluctant to bother them again, but I need closure, dammit!!

I just don't know...

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I never got a response to my email, and it was the only email I've sent to them from the start. ... I'm thinking it would be bad form to do so while still under consideration by HV, even if they never replied to my email, or perhaps especially as they never replied to my email, since the they in question could very well have been Diana Gill...

Yours is a particularly sticky problem, Dryad. The expectation by publishers for strict exclusivity is clearly in the publishers interest, but given the typical response times, it's not obviously a reasonable expectation or in the writer's interest. In your case whether the exclusivity is offered to a publisher or an editor is not clear either. I have been conscientious in maintaining exclusivity in cases where I later determined it wasn't warranted (One editor requested a manuscript, I got proper acknowledgement of receipt and then waited 3 years before repeated queries without response alerted me that the ms was not being seriously considered and perhaps never had been). However, the risk of offending an editor or just creating a mess where more than one editor is interested is always there if you break the "rules." Good luck choosing a course of action. Maybe they will respond soon to your query!

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Sending an update email at this time can be tricky. Those who have heard don't want to seem pushy. Those who have not heard but are still in the race don't want to jinx their chances.

After all this time and recent circumstances with the editorial staff, I say send the email. After all, we do have to get on with our lives...

I also feel that HV has missed deadline after deadline of their own making, so any rights to exclusivity is up to the individual authors on if they still want to grant HV exclusive sub rights. Personally, I say go ahead and submit somewhere else.

As always, best of wishes to those still in the running...

Fyrwhin

Writing by the seat of my pants
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same spot, and I haven't sent out a request for update yet. Perhaps I will drop them a line as well, since it's been over two months now since their arbitrary deadline. Even a peep from them on the blog would be better than leaving all of us hanging.
I will say I appreciate all the well thought out advice that everyone here gives. And that simply being here among those in the same boat makes the wait so much easier (and far less paranoia-inducing).

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
This still going on? wow.

I wonder will Harper regard this project as a success or failure?

I certainly hope new writers get taken up, and are promoted etc.

But if anything, this project seems to show the absolute necessity of agents, and other players in the great game of fame, n fortune. :)

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
(One editor requested a manuscript, I got proper acknowledgement of receipt and then waited 3 years before repeated queries without response alerted me that the ms was not being seriously considered and perhaps never had been).

Geowriter, your aside was quite to the point. Thoth, I have felt that the exclusivity owed to HV was arguably compromised, but amongst the submission requirements of ACE/Roc is, of course, that the ms not be under consideration elsewhere, and I'm quite the stickler for honesty.

My husband believes that the combination of HV having set a deadline to get back to everyone, by which time I was not contacted either way, and the lack of response to my inquiry afterwards about whether or not my ms is still under consideration means that my book is NOT under consideration and that I should submit elsewhere. According to him, this is not working on supposition; it is simply the facts.

My gut feeling on the matter has turned more and more negative the longer the silence has stretched.

FairySockmother

Writing from my ivory tower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fairysockmother.com
I submitted a manuscript to TOR once and waited 18 months for a reply - only to be told that their editors couldn't reach a concensus. They asked if I had another manuscript available. When I finished my next manuscript, I sent it to HV's open submissions. I guess this isn't unusual when you submit through the slush pile. I share everyone's frustration!

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I have waited as long as 9 months with DAW and 6 months with Tor, but never this long, especially with the publisher wanting exclusive rights.

While I am a firm believer in giving exclusive rights if asked for, I also believe there needs to be a set time for that exclusivity. And since HV missed their original deadline, I think its safe to submit elsewhere so long as you explain you have a submission with HV. As I recall, in one of their updates, HV said they would understand if anyone wanted to pull their submission.

Bishop

American Seanchai
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say at this point, send an email. I can't imagine sending an email is going to make them think "well, we were going to pick them, but that email was really annoying." They have to know how hard this is, especially with no word from them on the progress. There's no reason to torture yourself needlessly, we're writers, we'll do that on our own just fine. Haha

Last edited:

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
I'd say at this point, send an email. I can't imagine sending an email is going to make them the kids "well, we were going to pick them, but that email was really annoying." They have to know how hard this is, especially with no word from them on the progress. There's no reason to torture yourself needlessly, we're writers, we'll do that on our own just fine. Haha

Right? I beat you to it. I was getting all angsty, so I sent another email earlier today.

skatehall

Registered
Reaction score
I might email them early next week. It's been so long now that I'm beginning to forget my ms is even still there (if it is).

Let us know if you get a reply Dryad. I'll do likewise.

And best of luck to all still "in"

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
My take on exclusivity was that it ended at the end of the 3 month initial window - that was all they asked for. I certainly wouldn't be waiting for them. I think it's atrocious that the replies weren't sent by the last date promised and it must be very hard for you all. Hang in there. Group hugs all round.

I'm still waiting for official news about mine but will update when I know more.

azar_tia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking around this thread for a while as I also submitted to HV back in 2012. Just thought I'd pop my head up and let you all know I heard the Australian arm has been contacting writers. So things are definitely still moving forward -- at least down under. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting.

AbsoluteKoala

Registered
Reaction score
This is still going on?!

Decided to drop by to see if anybody had made it - and find most of you still in limbo!

Good luck to those left in the challenge. Glad you're all still supporting one another!

Fyrwhin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, azar_tia and AbsoluteKoala!

Yup, still hanging on. I sent in a status request too. Nary a sound has been heard.

Bishop

American Seanchai
Registered
Reaction score
Just a theory - HV is probably holding some manuscripts in reserve in case the initial offers are not accepted.

That wouldn't surprise, just a safe bet.

Now, let's comfort each other, I'm pouring! haha

\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
I find the lack of response to our emails extremely disturbing. Has anyone received any reply?

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I find the lack of response to our emails extremely disturbing. Has anyone received any reply?

I did have someone point out on another site, when we were waiting for the 'final' information that if this is how the window has worked how confident would I be if I got an offer that it would be a priority for HV....

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
That is the way I am starting to feel. A 2012 submission for a 2013 release has moved into 2014 and nearly 1/3 of 2014 is gone with no news. Looks like it might run into 2015...

Fyrwhin

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing from my update request.
Man I hope it doesn't go that long. I'm hoping that once an offer is made, though, it'll go to a different department. Maybe one with a bit more of a timely manner.